Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

edead?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 07:34 AM
umzzz
Cwest Army

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question edead?

so i need to deaden up my doors...bith the door skin as well as the metal door itself. I have it narrowed down to these:

edead v1 se
http://edesignaudio.com/product.php?...pid=25&cur=USD

edead v3
http://edesignaudio.com/product.php?...pid=26&cur=USD

anyone have experience with either or reccommend one over the other. im leaning towards the v3 just beause i think it will be easier to apply but im not sure performance-wise if one is superior to the other.

thanks
Old 08-02-2005, 08:14 AM
dannichols

Looks similar to the secondskin Spectrum liquid I used. I would say they are both great choices, just one may be better suited for certain areas than the other. I used liquid to do the entire floor pan (and trunk) and cubby area, and in the outer wheel wells. LIquid will have trouble sticking to any shiny painted surface. Matting works well over it, or vice versa. For the doors and areas behind side panels I started wioth vibration matting and used no liquid. Both of these products cure one problem- vibration. If your looking for sound control add a layer of acoustic foam or jute..especially under the carpet and in the cubby-trunk area

Originally Posted by umzzz
so i need to deaden up my doors...bith the door skin as well as the metal door itself. I have it narrowed down to these:

edead v1 se
http://edesignaudio.com/product.php?...pid=25&cur=USD

edead v3
http://edesignaudio.com/product.php?...pid=26&cur=USD

anyone have experience with either or reccommend one over the other. im leaning towards the v3 just beause i think it will be easier to apply but im not sure performance-wise if one is superior to the other.

thanks
Old 08-04-2005, 09:56 AM
sharingan625

Originally Posted by dannichols
If your looking for sound control add a layer of acoustic foam or jute..especially under the carpet and in the cubby-trunk area
where is the cubby area you refering to dannichols?

the one on the dash?
Old 08-04-2005, 09:59 AM
dannichols

The cubby area (for lack of a better name) is the area behind the seats which holds the glove box and the opposite side which would hold the stock Bose speaker if you have one. This is the area atop the fuel cells and pump and just in fron tof the rear tire wells. Look in these areas , you will see no soundproofing and gaping holes around the seat belt fasteners hewading out to the rear Qtr panels.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:03 AM
sharingan625

The cubby area (for lack of a better name) is the area behind the seats which holds the glove box and the opposite side which would hold the stock Bose speaker if you have one. This is the area atop the fuel cells and pump and just in fron tof the rear tire wells. Look in these areas , you will see no soundproofing and gaping holes around the seat belt fasteners hewading out to the rear Qtr panels.
ah. i see. thank you.

i plan to use some soundproofing too.

where do you think are the most important areas?

i was just gonna do the trunk area and the doors maybe, but i would like to hear your opinion.

im mostly interested in killing road noise. way too noisy.

thx.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:09 AM
dannichols

My opinion regarding soundproofing may not match yours. I drive on a very noisy highway and I try to keep things as quite as popssible to enjoy my stereo. For me, maximum soundproofing was a must. You may not want this as it is expensive and adds weight.

I would recommend 50 sq ft of Extreme dampener..behind the doors (inner and outer panels, kicks, cubby, tire wells (interior), trunk. This will serve to keep rattles to a minimum and act as a constraint layer for road noise. I would recommend a high quality liquid on the floor pan, cubby and trunk, and outer wheel wells. On top of these layers I would recommend acoustic foam or jute matting, followed by a thin layer of Neoprene foam. Behind side panels, door panels, under false trunk are other areas to consider for foams or jute.

Having my Sub in a tirewell mounted enclosure also cut down on rattles I was experiencing, and ultimately required less Dampener in the trunk than when I was running with a Strut bar enclosure.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:01 PM
sharingan625

My opinion regarding soundproofing may not match yours. I drive on a very noisy highway and I try to keep things as quite as popssible to enjoy my stereo. For me, maximum soundproofing was a must. You may not want this as it is expensive and adds weight.

I would recommend 50 sq ft of Extreme dampener..behind the doors (inner and outer panels, kicks, cubby, tire wells (interior), trunk. This will serve to keep rattles to a minimum and act as a constraint layer for road noise. I would recommend a high quality liquid on the floor pan, cubby and trunk, and outer wheel wells. On top of these layers I would recommend acoustic foam or jute matting, followed by a thin layer of Neoprene foam. Behind side panels, door panels, under false trunk are other areas to consider for foams or jute.

Having my Sub in a tirewell mounted enclosure also cut down on rattles I was experiencing, and ultimately required less Dampener in the trunk than when I was running with a Strut bar enclosure.
wow. you went all out, didn't you?

actually weight is no issue for me. this is my daily driver, and i do not participate in any kind of races. just some crazy driving here and there.

i usually have my gain down to almost minimum for easy listning. i do not have much vibration after i fixed the rear-view mirror buzzing. it is just the road noise that really kills the sound. and i do not have feathering. just pure road noise.

so i wasn't really considering the dampners as i heard that they really don't help with the actual road noise.

you think it will help using just the jute and the neoprene thing (i don't know what this is..)?
Old 08-04-2005, 12:19 PM
dannichols

I did a lot of research last year on other sites regarding acutual sound-proofing or autos. You will never reach complete silence, but for maximum road noise reduction the trick is to build multiple layers of product which are classified into three broad categories: Dampeners, absorbers, and barriers. Dampeners just add weight to a panel to stop it from resonating at certain frequencies and do in fact block a small amount of road noise. Absorbers like acoustic eggcrate foam and jute trap sound waves, and barriers block sound waves and send them back in the direction from which they came. The best solution I found was to build a layer of dampener, followed by an absorber, followed by a barrier. Some of the sound that permeates the dampener is absorbed by the absorber. the remaining sound hits the barrier alyer and is reflected back to be further absorbed by the foam. In theory this is how the pros say to do it.

Probem besides weight is it can be near impossible to get so many layers of product in areas that are very tight. Under the floor carpet for iunstance you aren't going to be able to stick 3" of products without it feeling like you are stepping on an air mattress. Some of the side panels also don't have much room (rear tirewell panels). But in other areas, like the cubby, trunk, and mid-side panels you actually can build up a few layers quite successfully.

I went middle of the road. I used Extreme Dynamat and liquid to act as a dampener, for an absorber I used Dynaliner (a tad thick), Tacmat, and/or Vibramat (different product for different areas based on space). And for the barrier I used 1/8" Neoprene closed cell foam. Closed cell foam is a barrier, open cell foam is an absorber. In actuallity 1/8" neoprene doesn't work well as a barrier, but oh well I only have so much space.

You could skip all of the above and simply use an expensive floor liner product from Dynamat, Stinger, Secondskin that has the multiple layers already built into one product. Many of these products use lead as the barrier. These products are very heavy (1lb per sq ft) and very expensive.

I am happy with the results and would do it all again. Areas to really concentrate are anywhere near the tires. Think of the tires as speakers or radiators of sound. Anything within close proximity to the tirewells should be an area of concern, inside, outside, and under the car. Use a quality liquid like Spectrum III in the tire wells.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:16 PM
sharingan625

I did a lot of research last year on other sites regarding acutual sound-proofing or autos. You will never reach complete silence, but for maximum road noise reduction the trick is to build multiple layers of product which are classified into three broad categories: Dampeners, absorbers, and barriers. Dampeners just add weight to a panel to stop it from resonating at certain frequencies and do in fact block a small amount of road noise. Absorbers like acoustic eggcrate foam and jute trap sound waves, and barriers block sound waves and send them back in the direction from which they came. The best solution I found was to build a layer of dampener, followed by an absorber, followed by a barrier. Some of the sound that permeates the dampener is absorbed by the absorber. the remaining sound hits the barrier alyer and is reflected back to be further absorbed by the foam. In theory this is how the pros say to do it.

Probem besides weight is it can be near impossible to get so many layers of product in areas that are very tight. Under the floor carpet for iunstance you aren't going to be able to stick 3" of products without it feeling like you are stepping on an air mattress. Some of the side panels also don't have much room (rear tirewell panels). But in other areas, like the cubby, trunk, and mid-side panels you actually can build up a few layers quite successfully.

I went middle of the road. I used Extreme Dynamat and liquid to act as a dampener, for an absorber I used Dynaliner (a tad thick), Tacmat, and/or Vibramat (different product for different areas based on space). And for the barrier I used 1/8" Neoprene closed cell foam. Closed cell foam is a barrier, open cell foam is an absorber. In actuallity 1/8" neoprene doesn't work well as a barrier, but oh well I only have so much space.

You could skip all of the above and simply use an expensive floor liner product from Dynamat, Stinger, Secondskin that has the multiple layers already built into one product. Many of these products use lead as the barrier. These products are very heavy (1lb per sq ft) and very expensive.

I am happy with the results and would do it all again. Areas to really concentrate are anywhere near the tires. Think of the tires as speakers or radiators of sound. Anything within close proximity to the tirewells should be an area of concern, inside, outside, and under the car. Use a quality liquid like Spectrum III in the tire wells.
thank you very much. i will try those things you mentioned. oh. and sorry about jacking the thread. i am sure dannichols' info will be helpfull to you too, umzzz. good luck.