Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

HELP! NEED A QUICK SOUND FIX. What would u do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 07:42 AM
bixby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jkoc
when you say "rear speakers" are you talkin about the two 6.5" ones in the back?

i wasnt planning on replacing those... i was planning on replacing the 10" sub
He's right, you don't need them but he's also wrong, upgrading them will not ruin your sound.

I did my stereo upgrade in 2 phases. Phase 1 I did not replace my rear speakers or HU. I installed Focal's in the front, added an amp and a 10" sub. What you really don't want to do is use the factory location for your sub. It's just not an optimal location. I had a custom sub enclosure made that fits under the strut brace (you can also buy these online). The factory location is perfect for your amps & other components.

The other key thing to remember is the tweeter location. Again, the factory spot just doesn't cut it. It's to far away from the mid's. You can mount the tweets in the same location as the mid's in the door & keep them stealth or mod the door panels for them.

Phase II I did replace my rear speaks with just some nice Focal Coax speakers and a seperate amp to drive them plus my Sub as well as a new HU. Since rears are basically for fill you hardly even know they're there. Maybe I'm just "old School" (or maybe just old) but I think the rears add just enough "fill" to be of some benifit.My installer (Big-Al @ AudioMobile) agrees you don't need rears but his car system makes up for it by having a boat load of fronts (8 I believe). If I could afford 15k to spend on my sound system I'd do it his way. I've already spent close to 7k (includes my nav & dvd) but I think my wifes tollerance level is peaking. Although she loves the sound.

Last edited by bixby; 05-12-2005 at 07:46 AM.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:57 AM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

Originally Posted by WhiteZed
dont buy rear speakers.. they are a waste..

especially if you are not on a big budget !!!!!

even if you were on a big budget rear speakers are a waste of time and $$$$

a) you dont need them
b) they will ruin your sound
c) they cost $$
d) you dont need them
+1 !!!!!!!!

this page should help: http://www.sounddomain.com/memberpage/799914/5
Old 05-12-2005, 08:38 AM
bixby

Originally Posted by Ahsmo
+1 !!!!!!!!

this page should help: http://www.sounddomain.com/memberpage/799914/5
Good article. I guess I'm more focused on Clarity than trying to produce true reproduction type sound. I hate distortion more than anything. I guess I'll try fading out my rears for a while & see if I notice improvement.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:43 AM
elms350Z

Man I'm confused about the rear speakers. I'm getting ready to upgrade my sound and I don't want to waste my money. But when you say "rear speaker" is that the speaker behind the seat like the glove compartment or the speaker behind the seat at head level. I'm confusing myself now...
Old 05-12-2005, 11:41 AM
bixby

Originally Posted by elms350Z
Man I'm confused about the rear speakers. I'm getting ready to upgrade my sound and I don't want to waste my money. But when you say "rear speaker" is that the speaker behind the seat like the glove compartment or the speaker behind the seat at head level. I'm confusing myself now...
The 2 at head level behind the driver & passenger seat. The 1 behing the driver seat at about back level is the factory sub location which shouldn't be used for a sub at all if your upgrading. But it is a great spot for your amp(s).