Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

What battery to get? (Carputer)

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 12:21 PM
BhashaZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What battery to get? (Carputer)

I think my stock battery is dead since I tried to start it and it didn't start up. Anyways, I will be getting a car PC installed in about 1 week, so since my battery is dead I was wondering if I should look for anything special.

Any suggestions on batteries? Can I just get an OEM one or a Diehard or do I have to get something like an Optima?
Old 08-10-2006, 12:29 PM
desiZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

optima yellow top, D51Y
Old 08-10-2006, 12:32 PM
BhashaZ

Hey Warren, how much do those go for? (yeah, I'm FINALLY getting my PC) And what exactly is better about an Optima? Can't I just use a "normal" battery?
Old 08-10-2006, 03:34 PM
desiZ

Originally Posted by BhashaZ
Hey Warren, how much do those go for? (yeah, I'm FINALLY getting my PC) And what exactly is better about an Optima? Can't I just use a "normal" battery?
long thread on motoring put 350zmotoring in the ___
basically, 1. its lighter. 2. its got enough oomph to support amps+subwoofer+car pc. I havent replaced mine yet, but when i do, will get the optima.. definitely worth the few extra $$

http://www._____.com/forums/showthre...ghlight=optima

pricewise check sears... they carry optima.. around $150

here's a link to one online, however i'd rather buy from a local store... u dont want to ship that back if somethings wrong with it..
http://www.lowcostbatteries.com/product_p/d51y.htm

make sure its got the Y at the end, cause the d51 i think has the connectors in the opposite location, => wont fit...

Last edited by desiZ; 08-10-2006 at 03:37 PM.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:21 AM
BhashaZ

Originally Posted by desiZ
long thread on motoring put 350zmotoring in the ___
basically, 1. its lighter. 2. its got enough oomph to support amps+subwoofer+car pc. I havent replaced mine yet, but when i do, will get the optima.. definitely worth the few extra $$

http://www._____.com/forums/showthre...ghlight=optima

pricewise check sears... they carry optima.. around $150

here's a link to one online, however i'd rather buy from a local store... u dont want to ship that back if somethings wrong with it..
http://www.lowcostbatteries.com/product_p/d51y.htm

make sure its got the Y at the end, cause the d51 i think has the connectors in the opposite location, => wont fit...
Isn't it D51 or D51R? I was doing some quick research and a lot of people said something about "R" for "reverse"?

It's funny because my car is BARELY starting up. Seems like there's not enough juice left!
Old 08-16-2006, 06:22 PM
BhashaZ

Is this a decent price? And is this the right model?

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes
Old 08-17-2006, 11:37 AM
desiZ

Originally Posted by BhashaZ
Is this a decent price? And is this the right model?

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes
yes & yes...
the positive is in the right position...
Old 08-17-2006, 11:48 AM
BhashaZ

Originally Posted by desiZ
yes & yes...
the positive is in the right position...
Thanks. I called my local Sears and they don't even have them. He said that model is hard to find...
Old 09-17-2006, 08:07 PM
HEUGE
Charter Member #40

Battery Size: Group 35 Red Top with necessary mods (see below)

Based on the voltage gauge built into our car (just put the key into the ignition and turn it to the click) the stock Battery from my 2003 was still putting out 13-point-something Volts, but the engine was cranking pretty slowly (not long, but no longer just requiring a quick flick of key) With this slow cranking, my dealer diagnosed my battery as dead last week, but since I wanted to prepare for a new stereo system and also did not want to pay $35 in labor to install a new battery (to pop 6 tabs and loosen/tighten 3-4 bolts), I decided to go aftermarket.

Batteries Plus was the only chain in Austin that had the proper size Optimas. Batteries Plus in Round Rock, TX had brought up a Red and Yellow top for me last Thursday from another store, but since I've been at ACL all weekend, I hadn't had time to do the replacement.

Batteries Plus brought out a tester, and put on a load, and at today's 80-90 degrees F, it seemed that the battery was only putting out 400 Amps (not really CCA since it was so hot). The battery water level was fine, so I figured that my 3-year old battery had reached its operating max. Two winters (four seasons x 2) in the northeast combined with the hot Texas winter had probably taken it past the point of no-return.

I bought a Group 35 Red Top Optima that fortunately I decided to install at the store. There were two complications, but the person working there was very knowledgeable about the product and its limitations on our car (I think he had a database of vehicle installs).

1) The Group 35 Battery is too short. Putting it down on the ground right next to the stock battery shows the height difference. The guy at the counter knew what to do: It turns out that Optima has a plastic base that increases the height of the battery (slides directly onto the bottom) to make it properly fit our 350Z's and the stock clamps. With the base, the battery holders worked great. Problem 1 fixed!

2) The Negative terminal diameter was too small for the cable. Even torquing-down the 10MM nut, the lead was still loose, so he brought over a lead cap that he crushed-over the terminal to allow the clamp cinch properly. Problem 2 fixed!

The battery was solid, and although perhaps the total size was smaller than the stock unit, the CCA rating is higher. I feel very comfortable with the guys at Batteries Plus now, and the folks in RR all seemed quite professional. I think it is a 3-year free replacement with 3-year prorated replacement (I'll double check later) Their web site is http://www.batteriesplus.com/ Of course I'll post if I have further problems, but these guys seem solid, and Optima has a good reputation.

Last edited by HEUGE; 09-17-2006 at 08:12 PM.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:30 PM
driftk1d

i have the red top and it works great
Old 09-22-2006, 11:46 PM
L33TZOR

im more interested in the carputer thing you planned, did you get it all installed yet?? I plan to install a carputer to give me all the bells and whistles, e.g. wifi, wan,dvd/mpeg/mp3 media player, nav, tablet touch screen for win tablet edition)

what route did you go?? dying to see pics if you took any!
Old 09-23-2006, 08:40 AM
BhashaZ

Originally Posted by L33TZOR
im more interested in the carputer thing you planned, did you get it all installed yet?? I plan to install a carputer to give me all the bells and whistles, e.g. wifi, wan,dvd/mpeg/mp3 media player, nav, tablet touch screen for win tablet edition)

what route did you go?? dying to see pics if you took any!
Here are my PC specs: https://my350z.com/forum/audio-builds/212129-my-carputer-setup-streetdeck.html

I still haven't had time to put up the pix, but I plan on doing that soon. With everything I have going on right now, I simply don't have a minute to spare! (well, except for this post). But you can subscribe to that thread. I will be adding pix shortly. It won't be anything special really, but I'll still put something up.
Old 09-25-2006, 02:27 PM
desiZ

i need to get myself a yellow top quick... my current oem battery is not holding out well... my pc shuts on & off these days...

especially running carpc + subwoofer + alpine9830 ...

some pics of the new iguidance 3.0 & centrafuse...
Old 03-08-2012, 10:01 AM
1985zx

in 2012, my original battery is dying. can the oem available do as Well?
Old 03-08-2012, 10:57 AM
TURBOROADSTER

I've never had an optima last longer than 2 years in my f150 (Monster stereo). I went through 3 Red tops and a yellow top , never again will I buy an optima . I get the same life out of a regular battery . For the price of an optima , I can buy 2 regular batteries that will last 4-5 years .
Old 03-09-2012, 01:13 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

I’ve experienced wonderful service from my Optima batteries. I mounted two in my off-road vehicle and added a battery management system to prevent draining the batteries when using the winch and other accessories.

--Spike