Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

satelite radio

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 04:17 PM
BigZ88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default satelite radio

anyone have experience with this? I want to be able to use my ipod/satelite reciever in my car and take the satelite radio reciever out and put it in my office or house. I have an alpine reciever with the ipod interface dealy. Now i think its possible to tie both in through that, but i'm not sure how. Any ideas?
Old 09-14-2006, 04:34 PM
racer4lifegt

Originally Posted by BigZ88
anyone have experience with this? I want to be able to use my ipod/satelite reciever in my car and take the satelite radio reciever out and put it in my office or house. I have an alpine reciever with the ipod interface dealy. Now i think its possible to tie both in through that, but i'm not sure how. Any ideas?
You can do an FM modulator with your satellite radio, and get a portable unit that you can use in and out of the car. As far as which service, XM to Sirius is Pepsi to Coke. It's all personal preference. Also keep in mind that if you do a lot of back road driving with lots of trees you may lose service.
Old 09-14-2006, 04:54 PM
BigZ88

i dont want to use an fm transmitter...i never like the sound quality of those
Old 09-14-2006, 05:00 PM
racer4lifegt

Originally Posted by BigZ88
i dont want to use an fm transmitter...i never like the sound quality of those

which alpine h/u do you have? some are XM ready.
Old 09-14-2006, 05:07 PM
BigZ88

mine is sirius ready, but i want something i can use both places, in and out of the car
Old 09-14-2006, 05:13 PM
racer4lifegt

imo, just do the sirius through the headunit and buy a seperate boom-box piece that you can take to work and home. it may cost a little more, but it will be the cleanest install in the car. the units that go from car to home are bulky and ugly.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:49 PM
Ichigo

+1 the sirius units really come up lacking in terms of portability and design. The nicest sirius portable you can get I think would be the S50 unit which can store mp3's as well as content from sirius. Currently a rebate offer stands:
http://shop.sirius.com/edealinv/serv...7870&scId=7874
If you have an OEM head unit you can go direct with an aux input converter, if youhave an aftermarket headunit, you can use the aux in to connect.

Also, dashboard space is almost non existant to pull off a proper mounting with impairing either the controls to something or your vision, as painfull as it is to recomend a console mounted stalk like the emaple in the S50 pics, I would have to go in that direction. The http://www.myradiostore.us/ website has a butt load of custom mounting solutions and brackets. Ive pretty much checked them all out and there's nothing that I've seen that provides a decent mounting solution for a plug and play unitin the Z.

If your that hard core on the portable unit, maybe you could look into a custom mounting in the cubby.

Last edited by Ichigo; 09-14-2006 at 06:59 PM.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:52 PM
lololepro

You can get the Sirius Sportster and connect it to the H/U through the aux inputs (if your H/U has aux) otherwise alpine has a box that will add an aux input through the CD changer input (sorry, I forgot the model number). Then you will need the Boombox accessory for your office/home...
Old 09-15-2006, 11:07 AM
dcmidnight

If you went with XM, I "mounted" mine in the ashtray hole. Took the ashtray out, put the XM in its cradle and it fits almost perfectly in that space and tilts at the perfect angle to read. Pop it out of the cradle to use in my basement. I'm using the tape adapter for the time being only because I dont like how the FM sounds and there arent many choices here in DC for a completely empty band.

Its a temp fit until I can get a Z1 put in this Fall, but it works for me.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:38 PM
racer4lifegt

+1, an inno may be your best bet. You can always just get a dock or a cheap set of speakers for your house/work and take the inno with you.