Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

New here with amp / wiring questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006 | 09:05 PM
errandz

Default New here with amp / wiring questions

Greetings my fellow Z owners! I've been a frequent reader, but figured now that the "modifications" are (slowly) starting to begin that I'd go ahead and register and say hi. I use the term modding lightly, since I'll be sticking pretty much strictly to A/V with a lowering+wheels finale sometime next year. Not too worried about the power side of things, as I have a crotch rocket when I have the desire to put myself in a life or death situation

######## NOTICE #########
This is a really long first post, and I apologize ahead of time. I'm trying to give as much information as possible so that the people smarter than myself don't slap themselves on their foreheads and ask a ton more questions for more long-winded answers.
#######################

As of right now I've got a Kenwood DVD head unit with some goodies currently on order (03 cubby, LCD, Sirius tuner, and leather shifter & e-brake boots). I'll also be wiring up a headphone jack for the a/v out port so on long trips I can have my passenger listen to different music, or I can put them on and let them sleep.

Anyway, I am really digging the 'glass tri-10 sub box I'm seeing on eBay since I can't afford to lose any of the usable trunk space, and this box fits in the cubby between the hump and the strut tower.

My only real problem with this is that I can't seem to match an amp and sub combo without either severely underpowering the subs, or slightly overpowering them. I was originally looking at running a parallel setup and finding a decent 1ohm amp, but no dice. So this is what I've come up with, and just want to get the yeah or nay from the pros first

* 3x Infinity Kappa 102.7w subs, 350w RMS @ 1 ohm each (I assume they run 350w at 1ohm, since they are switchable between 1 & 4 -- but I can't find any reviews or info that specifies one way or another)

* Infinity Reference 1211a amp, 854w RMS @ 4 ohm and 1300w RMS @ 2 ohm.

If I wire the subs in series, that should throw a 3 ohm load at the amp. Now I know I can't just take the difference between 2 and 4 ohms and split it to find the power at 3 ohms (from the sub), but...

#1.. would I be safe in assuming that I'll actually see somewhere between 1000 and 1100w at 3 ohms?

#2... *IF* the subs in question can still eat up 350w RMS @ 1 ohm, at 1050w RMS for the three am I doing okay with the amp in question assuming #1 is correct?

#3... Am I looking like a retard trying to do calculus? I've always had my EE buddy to push me in the right direction and keep me from frying my gear, but a few kids later and we don't talk much anymore, so I'm trying remember everything he told me years ago.

+1 man point for anybody who read this entire post!
Old 11-15-2006 | 09:17 PM
michaeljr6

imo you don't need that much subs..3 is too much unless you're doing it for show. infinity isn't really for show...so no point. if i were you i would rock out 1 jl audio W7 and a JL 1000/1 amp. the sound quality will be great and takes up wayyy less space compare to the 3 kappa.
Old 11-15-2006 | 09:19 PM
michaeljr6

and go here http://stores.ebay.com/ZEnclosures_3...QQftidZ2QQtZkm for some geat boxes. it's a real sleeper type and high quality. i believe the guy is a member on the forum as well.

anyways goodluck!
Old 11-15-2006 | 10:13 PM
errandz

Thank you for pointing out the JL solution, but I have to avoid putting a box under the strut tower. The Zenclosure was my first choice, but most* of my servers will only fit longways - which means the *** end of them rests underneath the strut tower I could build a box for a single enclosure myself, but the time required would cost me more than just buying one flat out (no I don't make that much money, I am just that slow ).

Edit: This is the actual box I am looking at, as you can see it really utilizes the free space in the area I need it to http://cgi.ebay.com/Nissan-350z-Trip...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 11-16-2006 | 04:51 AM
bdahern

Did you look at the "Type S" Zenclosures box? It sits behind the strut bar.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/350z-...1766QQtcZphoto
Old 11-16-2006 | 06:48 AM
errandz

Haha wow... how did I miss that one?

I was just starting to get used to the idea of having absolutely way too much power too, but now I can use a Perfect 10.1
Old 11-16-2006 | 07:07 AM
bdahern

Zenclosures came out with the Type S box about a month after I bought my understrut box - makes me wish I had waited.

I will say the understrut box is really nice tho - quality is great and it wedges right under - I didn't need to add any velcro or anything - no way is that sucker moving. Just loaded it up with a JL 10W3v2 and was ready to go.
Old 11-16-2006 | 07:27 AM
errandz

What is it with you guys and JL?

Seriously though, how do you like the single sub? I've never had less than 2 10s and I think right now that is the only thing I'm remotely worried about. I'd really hate to get it all in only to have to turn around and go with a dual/triple sub enclosure.
Old 11-20-2006 | 11:01 AM
errandz

Just wanted to say thanks again for the input. When I was putting together my parts list I realized it was only going to be about $80 more to go with a dual setup (minus the box)... since I was still a bit uneasy about running a single 10" I decided to just go with the under strut box. I think I'm going to kick myself in the *** down the road for losing that trunk space, but I'd rather throw a server in the passenger seat than have to buy a new box and amp if I didn't like the sound.

On it's way:
2x Infinity Kappa Perfect 10.1 subwoofers (4ohm, 350w rms, 94 dB spl )
Infinity Reference 611a (Class D, 657w @ 2ohms)
Zenclosure dual 10" under strut box (.75 ft^3 space)
+misc goodies

Using this nifty calculator (http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=26), it looks like I should be dead-on for space considering the volume the subs themselves will take up.

Overall I'm really excited to see how this will sound, the SPL on those subs is ridiculously higher than the 82-84 I'm used to.