Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Remote Start for 350Z?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 10:22 AM
SargentZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote Start for 350Z?

Has anyone installed 'remote start' on their Z or is it an available option? The GF got a new CX-7 GT and it has remote start. Awesome feature in the cold weather, car is locked, started and seat warmers activated. Would it be expensive to have installed after-market?
SZ
Old 12-14-2006, 10:27 AM
daz311x

Aftermarket only. This would go well with our remote roll down windows. I too am curious on how much it would be.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:29 AM
Changvi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SargentZ
Has anyone installed 'remote start' on their Z or is it an available option? The GF got a new CX-7 GT and it has remote start. Awesome feature in the cold weather, car is locked, started and seat warmers activated. Would it be expensive to have installed after-market?
SZ
I would not get the remote start. I actually have a friend who has a remote start in his integra. We were drinking coffee at a coffee shop, and he had his car parked facing out. Somehow he had his gear in reverse after he parked his car. When we were about to leave, he pressed his remote start button.......and I'm sure you should have an idea of what happened after. Even if you do end up getting one, just be very carefull and not leave your car in gear when parked.

Last edited by Changvi; 12-14-2006 at 10:34 AM.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:29 AM
z-u-later

This is my one & only warning -- DO NOT INSTALL THIS ON AN M/T Z!
Old 12-14-2006, 10:30 AM
daz311x

^^ Driver error
Old 12-14-2006, 10:31 AM
daz311x

us AT owners are okay though
Old 12-14-2006, 12:03 PM
wooochang

<--- tempted to make a crack at AT owners to start another flame war...
Old 12-14-2006, 12:20 PM
jtabraham

Originally Posted by z-u-later
This is my one & only warning -- DO NOT INSTALL THIS ON AN M/T Z!

I don't even know how you would go about installing one on a manual trans. What would push the clutch in?
Old 12-14-2006, 12:25 PM
DustinZ33

I'm no expert but to install this you must bypass the clutch and wire it to the ignition. Older hondas and such really weren't that hard as in all you had to do was cut the two wires going to the clutch and put them together. Then just wire the alarm to the ignition. I "think" the Z is much more complicated with wiring to bypass the clutch and wiring the rest of the alarm. If someone knows any better, please let me know
Old 12-14-2006, 12:30 PM
jtabraham

Originally Posted by Aftermath_Z
I'm no expert but to install this you must bypass the clutch and wire it to the ignition. Older hondas and such really weren't that hard as in all you had to do was cut the two wires going to the clutch and put them together. Then just wire the alarm to the ignition. I "think" the Z is much more complicated with wiring to bypass the clutch and wiring the rest of the alarm. If someone knows any better, please let me know

So as long as you always keep the car in Neutral, this would work? The scary part would be remembering you didn't leave the car in neutral as you start it, and then see the car crash through your garage door.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:52 PM
Old School
Shift_Boost

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I have the Cliffoard 2 way with remote start. YOu have to put a box in your car with a key (can be a blank key) with the transponder in it. B/C the ECU has to see this signal from the chip. That kinda scares me cuz if someone hot wires your ride, it has the transponder already in it. Remote start will work just fine if you do this. You still have to worry about the car hopping around like mentioned about if you leave it in gear. Needless to say, I didn't put the box/key and have remote start deactivated.

I still can hit the remote start button when the car is already running and then take the key out (the car will stay running)....you can then lock the doors and go inside the quicky mart and say hello to Mohammad. Not a bad feature if you have turbo and don't already have a turbo timer.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:53 PM
z-u-later

Originally Posted by jtabraham
I don't even know how you would go about installing one on a manual trans. What would push the clutch in?
Do a search -- you will find someone about a month ago who posted his Z being wrecked in a dealership because of the remote start on his M/T Z.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:56 PM
SargentZ

Why on earth would they not install some kind of sensor that would detect that the car is in gear and not start. So obviuos from a design stand point. I would only do it if it was a factory install like the CX7s.

SZ
Old 12-14-2006, 02:58 PM
ra2289

I have remote start on my Z, haven't had one problem...had it on my Civic before this and also never had a prob. My Civic was auto, but my Z is manual.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:26 PM
Driven1
Professional

I have a remote start on my 03' Z M/T. I don't know of a way to detect if the car is in gear, but if my car goes into the shop it gets put into valet mode (which deactivates my remote start).

I just NEVER leave my car in gear. No problems or incidents. If you're used to it, it just becomes habit to leave the car in neutral when parked.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:20 PM
stylinZ

Default for the umpteenth time....

It is possible, I have done it on my 6 speed Z, and mostly with the help of searching this forum. Find the pin on the ecu that goes to the NSS, it sends a ground output when in Neutral and that signal is open when in gear. Connect this wire to the remote start activation wire and you are set. Connect a relay to the third ignition output to send a signal to bypass the clutch, or just bypass it for good. If you feel iffy about this procedure, then don't do it. I will tell you this though, I love to hop in my car when its warmed up, it's a great feeling, and it's so damn helpful. My car will not remote start in gear, thanks to the Neutral safety switch pinout on the ECU. Just search 'remote start', and you will find all the info you need. The switch, is of course a mechanical one, and could be subject to failure. I doubt it, and I am happy that it works great.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:25 PM
michaeljr6

AT are for pussies
Old 12-14-2006, 06:50 PM
Bullitproof

Compustar has a remote start for m/t cars. it knows when you are in gear and it wont start. i have the viper remote start with window roll-up/down. i was taught to park the vehicle in nuetral with the parking brake up. i don't live in a hilly area so no worries for me. it was about 700 bucks installed with the window module, backup battery, and glass break sensor. totally slick to disarm ur alarm, roll down the windows, and start the car all at once.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:19 PM
RunyonAve

Thumbs up .

AT are for people who commute in 90 mins of traffic 2x a day in socal and don't want to commit suicide by driving a manual
The following users liked this post:
Grayson (08-26-2024)
Old 12-15-2006, 10:50 AM
pony_killer
Arada ninda apa

Originally Posted by z-u-later
Do a search -- you will find someone about a month ago who posted his Z being wrecked in a dealership because of the remote start on his M/T Z.
He's talking about me but on a good note, my car is back...looks just like the first day I took her home, and that blasted alarm with remote start was taken out and sold to another member...with A/T. From this experience I've learned that remote start is not meant for M/T cars. The dealer left my car in reverse without the e-brake on and of course my car took off and ran into 2 other vehicles. The damage was pretty severe and the bill came out to $5500. Thank God for insurance But you live and you learn...so learn from me.

Quick Reply: Remote Start for 350Z?