OEM Security System Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 01:38 PM
KPierson
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM Security System Upgrade

Taken from: http://kptechnologies.com/forums/vie...hp?p=1335#1335

This is a mod that can be performed in a matter of minutes, with a very low cost, that will fix one of two major OEM security flaws that most Nissan/Infiniti vehicles have been plauged with for the past 10 years.

This was performed on my 2004 Infiniti G35 coupe and took me about 15 minutes from start to finish.

The goal is to eliminate the ability to unlock the doors, lower the windows, and disarm the OEM security system electronically by using the key in the drivers door key cylinder. This 'feature' has proven to be a major security risk.

After this mod has been completed the OEM remote will still function as normal (unlock, disarm, windows down) but the key in the drivers door cylinder will ONLY unlock the drivers door. No disarm, no window down, and no passenger side unlock.

Many people have simply cut one wire to acomplish this, but I wanted to take it a step further, in case I ever lose my remote or my batteries die and I need to use the key to enter the car when the alarm is armed.

The solution is to hide a push button switch underneath the door lock buttons. The panel pulls up easily, and there is more then enough room to hide a switch.

Here is the pushbutton I used:

First, gently pull up on the panel holding the switches. Once it's removed you will be able to find the wire that electronically disarms the vehicle. It will read 5vdc under normal conditions, and will read 0vdc when the key is turned in the drivers side key cylinder to the 'unlock' position (in my 04 coupe the wire is light blue).

Here you can see the light blue wire, and the black wire is right under it:

Once this wire has been located, cut it (at least 2" from the end of the wire so there is enough wire to splice it back together). The half of the wire that goes away from the switch panel needs to be taped off (insulated so that it won't short out). The other half, the half that goes to the switch panel, needs to be connected to one side of the momentary switch. The other side of the momentary switch needs to be connected to a ground (I used the large black wire in the switch panel harness).

Here it is all hooked up (disregard the purple wire, it's part of the KPtechnologies OEM Remote Window Up/Down module):

Now, place the button down in the cavity beneath the switch panel and put everything back together!

With this modification, if you ever need to disarm the OEM security system without using the remote (lost, broken, or dead batteries) you just need to use your key to unlock the door, open the door up (the alarm will go off) then quickly pop the switch panel off, dig the hidden button out and push it. This will instantly silence the alarm!
Old 01-27-2007, 04:53 PM
Scarab440

this is pretty cool. So basically are you saying anyone who can get something in the door to turn the lock can disarm tha alram without this mod?
Old 01-27-2007, 06:42 PM
KPierson
Banned

Well, anyone who can pop the lock out and gain access to the wiring on the back of the lock can.

It's been the #1 way to break in to Nissan cars for years now.
Old 01-27-2007, 06:54 PM
L33TZOR

stupid question, does the 2006 350z key have a chip in it (which renders the car without the key in proximity disabled), like my bmw does?

and my son always pulls some fuse in his car 'being an integra likes thieves top favorite. is there a way to make a simple cut off switch?

as my theft recovery device- use gps tracking in case i get jacked or somebody jacks my ride.
i was hoping on some way to disable the car remotely. but theives wil be thieves, your radio is their radio in less than 5 minutes broad daylight or whenever.

Last edited by L33TZOR; 01-27-2007 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:07 PM
THE TECH

Interesting idea. I had no idea that the Nissans were that easy to steal.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:10 PM
KPierson
Banned

It has a transponder based ignition system, but there is a security flaw in it also that makes it very easy to bypass.

There would be several fuses you could pull out to prevent the car from starting, and several places you could add a cut off switch.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:26 PM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Regardless of weather you can start the car, KPierson is fixing the flaw that allows them to rummage through your car without setting the alarm off.

There have been several here with tales of a thief exploiting this vulnerability and stripping the interior of everything of value without the Z ever making a sound.

This is not going to stop people from trying but at least the Z wont give up her goods without a sound. Thanks for the write up, I am gonna do this in the next few weeks.

Chris
Old 01-28-2007, 04:09 AM
KPierson
Banned

Originally Posted by HyperSprite
Regardless of weather you can start the car, KPierson is fixing the flaw that allows them to rummage through your car without setting the alarm off.
Exactly. And, if anyone knows the 2nd security flaw, they would know that fixing this one would help eliminate that one.

Typically, a thief, on an unmodified Nissan, can have the doors unlocked, alarm disarmed, and car hotwired in under 90 seconds without the car making a sound.

By making this first modification at least the alarm will still go off if they open the door, giving you a fighting chance that they will look for an easier target (and that's really what it is all about)
Old 11-14-2007, 11:30 AM
codek

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

where can i get a push button
Old 11-14-2007, 12:47 PM
gothchick

Would an aftermarket alarm such as a Viper or Clifford, help with the inherent security flaws?
Old 11-14-2007, 02:14 PM
KPierson
Banned

Radioshack would be a great source
Old 11-14-2007, 02:16 PM
KPierson
Banned

Originally Posted by gothchick
Would an aftermarket alarm such as a Viper or Clifford, help with the inherent security flaws?
It all depends.

If you live in an area where an alarm siren will draw attention then it may help. If you live in an area where an alarm can sound for ~20 seconds and no one looks then don't even bother.

This security flaw will allow a thief to unlock your doors with minimal ease. Once the door is unlocked the hood can be popped and battery disabled in no time at all.

They make back up battery sirens that continue to make noise even if the battery is disconnected - this would be a good tool to use. Again though, only if you live in an area where people notice alarm sirens.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:44 PM
aleicgrant

Does Dan in Tampa know how to do this mod?
Old 11-14-2007, 09:06 PM
KPierson
Banned

I would guess he could figure it out with minimal difficulty.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:59 AM
gothchick

Originally Posted by KPierson
It all depends.

If you live in an area where an alarm siren will draw attention then it may help. If you live in an area where an alarm can sound for ~20 seconds and no one looks then don't even bother.

This security flaw will allow a thief to unlock your doors with minimal ease. Once the door is unlocked the hood can be popped and battery disabled in no time at all.

They make back up battery sirens that continue to make noise even if the battery is disconnected - this would be a good tool to use. Again though, only if you live in an area where people notice alarm sirens.
Gotcha! This looks like a great mod then. Thanks for sharing! :-)