Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

No power to amp. Need desperate help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2003, 08:34 PM
Zbeast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No power to amp. Need desperate help!

I just bought a brand new rockford fosgate 1500 watt amp.. and have spent the past 3 hours trying to get my amp to work. basically i did everything specified in the instruction manual. connected the + line from the battery to the amp and grounded the to the chasis (sanded area on bolted) then to the ground terminal on the amp. am i missing something? i wanted to see if this works first before connecting the remote wire. but there's no power to the amp.. i used a tester to ensure current is coming from the wires... and there's is.. my last attempt was to directly connected the amp to the + and - terminal from the battery to the amp.. the freaking thing is not powered.. .. i am really desperate now. any advice is greatly honored.
Old 04-17-2003, 12:20 AM
JimRHIT

Here is my .02 ... from what I remember, my Excelon amp would not show any signs of power until I hooked up the remote lead and turned on my HU. Give it a shot. Let me know if that works for ya.

Good Luck,
Jim
Old 04-17-2003, 04:58 AM
zaway

Pretty much all new Amps must be connected to the remote wire of the headunit otherwise they won't turn on. You don't want power flowing through the amp with no signal to amplify. The remote wire is used when the HU comes up it sends a small signal to the Amp which turns it on. Connect your headunit, turn it on and you will see the Amp comes up.

zaway
Old 04-17-2003, 05:40 AM
ooohhh

does the bose system have a remote wire? And if so were the heck is it? I asume it is near the bose amp. which is were?
Old 04-17-2003, 10:45 AM
MSGarrett1

If all you want to do is check to see if the amp works, just run another small wire from your battery's positive terminal to the remote turn on lead of the amp, and the amp should turn on. It just needs this switchable 12volt signal to turn on.
Old 04-17-2003, 02:11 PM
Ludecrew

yup its def the 12v remote turn on wire. once the ACC is on, the amp will power up! good luck
Old 04-18-2003, 12:15 AM
Jasonj30

amp wont turn on wihtout the remote on wire
Old 04-18-2003, 04:37 AM
ooohhh

lets try this again --

does the bose system have a remote wire? And if so were the heck is it? I asume it is near the bose amp. which is were?
Old 04-18-2003, 06:37 AM
Zbeast

Default sweet!

you guys are right, the remote wire was the answer..hooked that baby up and my amp was glowing with delight! speaker sounds awesome.. i bought a pair of a/d/s components... really clean sound.. but noticed one problem.. turned the gain on my amp all the way down.. yet when playing at high volume (max level on the stereo "31"- sounds loud but not mind blowingly loud) the speaker does not have any distortion but i get the occassion pops.. does that mean the amp is too powerful for the speakers.. i was told these speaker should be able to handle heavy loads.. or is there something with my connections that is causing this?

thanks for all the replies, thus far.... i could have done it without you gurus! my next project is the back speakers... bought a pair of infinity reference for the back.. don't know if they are good choice for my setup but they were dirt cheap at Circuit city.. 59 bux..so i figured they oughta be better than the stock, right? i read that the kappas are a better choice but i could find them for sale at my local stores.. for me, i have to listen to them first before i buy them... again.. thanks for you time fellas!
Old 04-18-2003, 02:24 PM
bastard

A popping sound could mean your sub enclosure has a small leak in it. Could also mean that you're just driving the speaker to its limits and it can't take any more (like a Post Office worker).
Old 04-18-2003, 06:28 PM
NightRider

The popping noise that you hear is your speaker bottoming out. It occurs when they are crossed over too low. Play with the crossover settings on your amp until it goes away. For components the lowest I would go is between 60-80hz.
Old 04-18-2003, 09:27 PM
JimRHIT

Question Could be clipping....

I don't know about overdriving the speaker...but you could possibly be underdriving it as well. The amplifier could be "soft" clipping..telling you to back down a bit. A "popping" is not usually what you are gonna hear when bottoming a driver, but ya never know.

Good Luck,

Jim