Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Battery Ground Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 04:47 PM
Peak350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Ground Upgrade

So I am getting ready to wire in my amp/sub setup (850 WRMS amp) and I bought a 0-gauge wiring kit so I could expand (and carputer) later without redoing the wiring. I just out of curiosity looked at the stock wires coming off the battery and the ground cable looks like 8 gauge, 4 at MOST.

So, I'm thinking I will get a 2 gauge wire and swap it, and get a batt/cap to wire in with the amp, but my question is, has anyone upgraded this themselves before or am I the first to look at it (seriously hope not).

-Tyler
Old 04-11-2007, 05:19 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why not just go with 0 gauge???

a cap is nothing but a band aid for a lacking electrical system. Hook everything up and see how it performs. If you need a deep cell battery get that while you are installing everything.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:48 PM
Peak350

Originally Posted by USN HM 350Z
why not just go with 0 gauge???

a cap is nothing but a band aid for a lacking electrical system. Hook everything up and see how it performs. If you need a deep cell battery get that while you are installing everything.
Capacitors help relieve shock from the alternator and keep power spikes (from music beats) from ruining your regulator (or so I understand). A batt cap is just a small battery and capacitor hybridized together to even the draw out as much as possible. I'm not too worried about it (capacitor wise) I was just going to add one so I'd be safe.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:50 PM
rotaryrocket7

Upgrading the ground won't do anything without upgrading the positive from the alternator as well... Here's a link to a reference page for you. To answer your question, yes upgrading the "big 3" will improve transfer.

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...TID=73496&PN=1
Old 04-12-2007, 07:24 PM
Peak350

Originally Posted by rotaryrocket7
Upgrading the ground won't do anything without upgrading the positive from the alternator as well... Here's a link to a reference page for you. To answer your question, yes upgrading the "big 3" will improve transfer.

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...TID=73496&PN=1
Hmm, so basically I would be wasting my time to bump the ground cable (on second look it appears to be 4-gauge).

I mean, I right now only have an 850 W RMS amp, that can pull MAX of 60 amps (two 30 amp fuses on it) so I'm thinking realistically a 700W draw at peak for my setup. Thats not going to max the stock wiring, but I was trying to be prepared for future.

Thanks for the link I'll definitely have to look into an upgraded alternator, but given the location on our car's I'm not sure I like it too much.
Old 04-13-2007, 03:37 AM
live2themaxuk

Im sure, upgrading the chassis ground will definetly help with group loop issues, and helps you 'musical system' atleast, work more efficiently. The alternator is not on the music circuit, its a subsystem. . . . .sure it share the same earth, but not the same positive wire, which is why you run a large power cable to the amps. If you used bell wire to power your amps, you'd probably get a fire as the wire is too thin, theorecially a fire could still start because you havent upgraded your negative wires either, the only reason it isnt a problem is because the chassis strap between the chassis and battery in the engine bay is so short, it can usually flow enough current without becoming what is fundementally a 'lightbulb'. . . . . . . worse that happens is you get a crappy ground a alternator whine. . . .

Upgrade your chassis ground it makes sense. . . .
Old 04-13-2007, 04:32 AM
350zspl
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

upgrading the ground off the neagtive terminal from the hood battery will most certainly help

use 0 awg
Old 04-13-2007, 06:45 AM
Peak350

Ok, thanks, thats what I was thinking initially and was still contemplating.

I've got the wire to do it with so my only hesitation was more to undo if I go in for warranty work, but thats not that big a deal.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:05 AM
350zspl
Banned

Originally Posted by Peak350
Ok, thanks, thats what I was thinking initially and was still contemplating.

I've got the wire to do it with so my only hesitation was more to undo if I go in for warranty work, but thats not that big a deal.

if you take your car to the dealer for warrranty work why would they open the battery cover

if they opened it would they notice your ground

i think not

if they did , they would be hard pressed to come up with a story about the negative aspects to the enhanced ground

use 0 awg , and use loom over the wire , it won't look out of place

your fine do it
Old 04-13-2007, 07:49 AM
Peak350

Originally Posted by 350zspl
if you take your car to the dealer for warrranty work why would they open the battery cover

if they opened it would they notice your ground

i think not

if they did , they would be hard pressed to come up with a story about the negative aspects to the enhanced ground

use 0 awg , and use loom over the wire , it won't look out of place

your fine do it
True, especially since the 0 AWG wire going to my amp would be hidden below the battery completely, and if I had electrical problems it would all be out of the car completely just to be safe.

I've got PET sleeving and wire loom, and 0 gauge wire with the proper terminal end on it, AND a spare 0 AWG gold plated grounding post that at first glance uses the same mounting spacing as the stock grounding plate.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:54 AM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You can never Over Ground your electrical
Old 04-13-2007, 08:50 AM
350zspl
Banned

Originally Posted by Peak350
True, especially since the 0 AWG wire going to my amp would be hidden below the battery completely, and if I had electrical problems it would all be out of the car completely just to be safe.

I've got PET sleeving and wire loom, and 0 gauge wire with the proper terminal end on it, AND a spare 0 AWG gold plated grounding post that at first glance uses the same mounting spacing as the stock grounding plate.

your golden