Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Are component speakers worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 05:02 AM
zdero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are component speakers worth it?

Well I have read all about the differences of coaxial speakers and component speakers. How many of you are using component speakers? I have never used them in the past, and were just wondering if they were worth the extra money, and installation issues. Also if you are using components where did you mount the tweeter?
Old 04-27-2007, 05:51 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Worth it? Depends on your definition of worth. Sound better yes. Better quality yes. Better imagining yes.

Installation issues consist of mounting the external crossover (see better sound and quality above) and running one additional wire. This was basically the easiest thing going on during my self-installation of my system.

I put my component tweeter on the window wing but if I had my chance I would have put them in A-pillar pods.
Old 04-27-2007, 07:36 AM
savvy

I have my tweeters flush mounted into the door above the door pod
Old 04-27-2007, 07:46 AM
THEDUKE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are going to use an external amp you will gain from them. If you are not going to use an external amp you will most likely not gain anything and actually might end up sounding worse than coaxials.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:22 AM
350zspl
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by THEDUKE
If you are going to use an external amp you will gain from them. If you are not going to use an external amp you will most likely not gain anything and actually might end up sounding worse than coaxials.
yes this is true
Old 04-27-2007, 08:23 AM
QdotJ

I have compared components and coaxial speakers for years; do yourself a favor and get a high-quality set of component speakers. I got a great deal on a set of Infinity 6010cs' (fleabay... ) and will be upgrading them in the coming months.

I'm thinking of possibly a set of CDT's, Focal or even a set of DLS NOBELIUM's - Wow, those would definitely set me back a pretty penny. Or if I want to really go all out I could get the MB Quart's QSD216.... THOSE ARE .... WOW

Seriously, I would take advantage of well processed sound via components with an outboard crossover; this will result in a cleaner more pronounced sound.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:27 AM
16psibrick
Sponsor
Simplicity in Sound

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i will say this...

technically, the coaxial configuration is NOT any less capable than a component configuration. infact, it usually allows for better tuning and better imagine because its point source (all sound eminating from one single location). as a matter of fact, i will prefer a coaxial configuation.

the issue though, is that becuase its viewed as lower ont he food chain, 99 percent of manufacutrers have their coaxial as their entry level speakres, there for, dont dump much moey into them, as a sresult, 99 percent of the coaxials, due to poor design, materials and what not, are inferior to components from the same line.

HOWEVER, there are very good high quality coaxials out there that i would install over components...these are high quality speakres wth good design, good engieneering and overall great performance.

to name a few:

Morel Integra (though you would want to go active on it)

JL XR coaxials whcih sound IMO just as good as the comp

and the new DLS UX26 high end coaxial, wchih IMO sounds just as good as our UR components if not slightly better in the imagine department at a slightly lower cost.

anyway, thast my two bits

so to asnwer your question, its not components are worth it, its higher end speakres in general that is worth if you can do a good install and use proper equipement to power it

b
Old 04-27-2007, 08:35 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 1,311 Likes on 910 Posts

I agree with many of the comments posted here. In my Z just a simple upgrade of MB Quart DSC-216 component 6.5" speakers and a dedicated amp to power them have made a HUGE difference to my ear. I paid a few bucks to have a pro install them and the tweeters are installed in the OEM locations, (opposite the side mirrors).

Repeating what others have said: better imaging and superior sound quality with the ability to cut through all the background noise that a true sportscar produces! I particularly like the crystal-clear highs that MB Quart is known for.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:56 AM
zdero

Well I will definately have an external amp powering my speakers. I think I will have to try out components. I have also heard people tell me not to spend much money on rear speakers, as they do not have much impact in overall sound? Is there any truth to this?
Old 04-27-2007, 09:13 AM
QdotJ

Originally Posted by zdero
Well I will definately have an external amp powering my speakers. I think I will have to try out components. I have also heard people tell me not to spend much money on rear speakers, as they do not have much impact in overall sound? Is there any truth to this?
In a vehicle this size, rear speakers will do nothing but confuse your ears. Some people love to be enveloped in sound, I feel this is wonderful and ideal for a home theater experience. Yet for music I feel that the full spectrum is better reproduced by a tweeter, midrange and woofer. Some have gone as far as placing 3-way component sets in both the kick panels and doors; something I may consider in the future.

Honestly, many people will tell you to invest in a good sounding set of component speakers for your front sound stage and ditch the rears all together. I've done this, and the rear speakers are not missed....

My $5.....
Old 04-27-2007, 09:17 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I don't have any rear speakers hooked up in my Z and it sounds amazing...

IMO rear fill is a waste.. especially in a Z because they are so close to your ears... most of the time you have to fade closer to the front to get better imaging and by the time you do that.. you are not even using the rear speakers as much
Old 04-27-2007, 09:50 AM
StreetOC192

The key to eliminating the rear speakers and being happy is spending a little more on better front components (or coaxials), a well balanced complete system, and a good tune. If the system was well thought out and executed, there is no need for rear speakers. You then save $$ in the long run by not needing the extra speakers/amp/wiring.

<the above applies to the Z and similar cars, NOT a minivan or SUV where there are rear passengers that would like to hear music too>
Old 04-27-2007, 08:11 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Are component speakers worth it?
Well I have read all about the differences of coaxial speakers and component speakers. How many of you are using component speakers? I have never used them in the past, and were just wondering if they were worth the extra money, and installation issues. Also if you are using components where did you mount the tweeter?
I agree with the responses posted to your/this thread. IMO component speakers are the way to go. But, just because the speakers are components does not mean you can expect good sound. For example, the cheap components (such as the OEM Clarions or the Bose components Nissan provides in the Z) sound awful.

Some suggestions when installing component speakers:

1) Purchase a good component speaker for your front door. I installed Focal165W Slims, and they are just great.

2) Some people insist that pods are the way to go while others feel that the stock speaker location is workable. If you install pods in the front doors, you will hit them when entering/exiting the Z. If you install pods in the "dead pedal" position, you lose the foot-rest (but, you get used to this). I installed my Focal components in the stock position (no pods) and get great sound. That is arguably not the optimal installation to deliver the best sound, but I avoided some other problems doing it this way. I'm not saying my installation preferences are the best way to do this... only that this way works best for me. Most agree that pods provide better sound.

3) Always install a good after-market external amp when installing component speakers. You won't get optimum sound from high quality components without an after-market amp.

4) Mount the tweeters in the A-pillar (about 4 to 8 inches up from the dash, pointing them at the front windhshield) instead of the stock position. If you put high-quality tweeters in the stock position, the left side "blasts" the driver's listening position with the "highs", and you don't hear the right side hardly at all.

5) You must stage your system when using component speakers. The only way you get proper sound from component speakers is using professional-level equipment operated by a Professional Installer. Think of a Professional Installer being the same as a digital piano tuner. When installing components, you need to set the cross-overs and set timing delays to get the best staging for your individual car interior (especially when mounting the tweeters in the A-pillars and bouncing the highs off the front windshield).

--Spike