Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

GPS antenna mounting location/reception?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 11:20 AM
MustGoFastR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GPS antenna mounting location/reception?

I just bought the Kenwood KNA-G510 Nav unit for my DDX-6016 HU and am wondering what the best spot is to mount the GPS antenna?

Will it work well mounted out of sight under the plastic trim or the rear strut brace and 35% tint on my rear window?
Old 05-08-2007, 11:34 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The radio waves from the GPS satellites pass though plastic and glass just fine. If your tint is not metallic based that's not going to be a problem either. Some put them on their rear struts. I put mine on the dash centered above the triple gauge cluster.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:50 AM
MustGoFastR

Ok, cool; I should be good, then. Going to be a PITA ripping out all the interior panels to be able to put it there, but I want a nice, clean install and just want to be sure it'll work well there before I do it.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:11 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Since you have the Kenwood KNA-G510, my guess is you mounted this in one of the small cubby spaces behind the driver or passenger seat. If so, the rear strut bar is the easiest location to route the antenna wire and mount the remote antenna. I tested both ways (on top of the rear strut bar, and inside (below the plastic cover piece) on the rear strut bar. It didn't seem to make any difference, so Paul is correct when he says: "The radio waves from the GPS satellites pass though plastic and glass just fine."

I installed my GPS antenna on top of the rear strut bar only because it balanced with the look of mounting my Sirius antenna on the opposite side of (and on top of) the rear strut bar. (My Sirius antenna works better when it is not buried inside the rear strut bar.)

--Spike

PS: After you have run your Kenwood KNA-G510 for a while, please post your opinion of this device.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:15 PM
BhashaZ

Originally Posted by Paul350Z
The radio waves from the GPS satellites pass though plastic and glass just fine. If your tint is not metallic based that's not going to be a problem either. Some put them on their rear struts. I put mine on the dash centered above the triple gauge cluster.
+1
Old 05-08-2007, 06:06 PM
Matt8200

You guys make it so hard, why run it all the back to the strut bar to hide it under the plastic? Mine is right behind the gauge cluster, under the plastic. I just taped it in place there and it works well.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:32 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by Matt8200
You guys make it so hard, why run it all the back to the strut bar to hide it under the plastic? Mine is right behind the gauge cluster, under the plastic. I just taped it in place there and it works well.
You are not understanding the OP's question.

There is nothing "so hard" about this. I am guessing that your GPS unit is installed in the double-din space. If my guess is correct, the natural position for your GPS antenna is exactly where you placed this (on/inside the dashboard above the instrument cluster). Did I guess correctly?

If you install the Kenwood KNA-G510 or the Garmin GVN52 "blackbox" navigation units in the Z, you put this navigation unit inside the small cubby space behind either the driver or passenger seat. The easiest and best path in this case for your GPS antenna install is the rear strut bar. The OP was simply asking if the plastic overlay in the rear strut bar would interfere with the GPS signal. The answer is NO it won't.

--Spike
Old 05-08-2007, 07:45 PM
Matt8200

I wasn't specifically responding to him. Yes, my GPS unit is built into the receiver so its in the double-din space. I have read on here that people have ran the antenna from the double-din spot to the strut bar. They are making it a lot harder than it should be when it can be installed on the inside of the dashboard. A lot of other people put it on the outside of the dashboard where it is visible, not realizing it can be installed on the inside out of sight.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:48 PM
Spike100

I don't see anyone installing double-din navigation devices wiring the GPS antenna to the rear strut bar.

...maybe a couple of years ago, but not recently.

--Spike

Last edited by Spike100; 05-08-2007 at 08:51 PM.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:34 AM
THE TECH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike100
I don't see anyone installing double-din navigation devices wiring the GPS antenna to the rear strut bar.

...maybe a couple of years ago, but not recently.

--Spike
+1
Old 05-09-2007, 07:52 AM
seekndestroy19

mine is right behind the stock gauges
Old 05-09-2007, 10:11 AM
mg350ZR

Question Garmin Nuvi 660 inside cubby with no external antenna?

Originally Posted by Paul350Z
The radio waves from the GPS satellites pass though plastic and glass just fine. ... I put mine on the dash centered above the triple gauge cluster.
So, if I put a Garmin Nuvi 660 stand-alone navigation unit inside the forward cubby, will it work well with only the internal built-in antenna, or will I need to get an additional GPS external antenna to get a better signal?
Old 05-09-2007, 10:14 AM
dmroberson

I've got an Avic-D2 and mine is right behind the 3 gauge cluster, on top of the dash. No problems so far, with reception, and you can't tell it's there, unless you're looking for it.

Last edited by dmroberson; 05-09-2007 at 10:17 AM.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:44 AM
Drift_corners

I got ya... I did it myself Just like two of the other guys. They got it right too.
i can explain but i wont be home till the 14th. I will set you up with pictures and anything you need. Its sick. Its inside the car. Perfect reception, and looks factory. its on the square plastic infront of the 3 guages in the center of the car.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:24 PM
Spike100

Actually, the manufacturer of every car GPS I've used (my first install was a Garmin GVN V about 5-6 years ago) recommends installing the remote GPS antenna outside the car on top of its roof as the optimum position for reception.

Imagine the work this involves (and, it is totally unnecessary):

1) Route the antenna wire up a side panel to the headliner, and then under the headliner to the mounting position.

2) Drill a hole in your car's roof and run the antenna wire through this hole.

3) Attach the antenna with a permanent adhesive pad to your car's roof.

This is idiotic advice. Drill a hole in your car's roof? That's going to be a leak-point. And, having the antenna on top of the Z's roof ruins the line of the car. WT_? As everyone on this thread points out: You can put the GPS remote antenna inside the dash, on top of the dash in front of the instrument cluster, on top of the rear strut bar, or inside the rear strut bar.

Why do aftermarket GPS manufacturers provide such horrible advice in their installation instructions? Five years ago there wasn't as many available satellites broadcasting GPS coordinates to the civilian population. So, the case was a possible "block-out" with the antenna mounted inside the car where the sheetmetal could possibly block a more-limited-view of satellites. That is no longer the case today since the government and military allow access to more satellites and their better features (WAAS is an example). When mounting a GPS antenna today with more satellites broadcasting to your GPS, you can count on a 180 degree view-of-the-sky to be adequate (ie., you no longer need nearly a 360 degree view).

--Spike

Last edited by Spike100; 05-09-2007 at 04:43 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old 05-09-2007, 05:39 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by mg350ZR
So, if I put a Garmin Nuvi 660 stand-alone navigation unit inside the forward cubby, will it work well with only the internal built-in antenna, or will I need to get an additional GPS external antenna to get a better signal?
It will work, but its antenna is under sheetmetal (your car's roof) mounting in this position. Run it this way and see how it works. If the results are not satisfactory, I would recommend using a remote antenna that you mount on top of the Z's instrument cluster (and, you can put the remote antenna inside or on top of the instrument cluster, but postion the antenna as far forward as you can). You want to postion your GPS antenna so that it capable of reading 180 degrees of the horizon.

--Spike
Old 05-09-2007, 08:38 PM
KingLim

A couple of questions:

I am trying to decide whether to install the KNA-G510 in the glove compartment under the small cubby hole behind the passenger seat or the front behind the dash.

1. Does the GPS unit (not the antenna) fit into the "hideaway space" under the glove hole? This space is under the carpet. See attachment.

2. For those who install this unit under/behind the dash - where do you put this? I imagine it would be tough to the update the GPS using the SD slot?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails GPS antenna mounting location/reception?-6c0s2984.jpg  
Old 05-09-2007, 08:51 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by KingLim
A couple of questions:

I am trying to decide whether to install the KNA-G510 in the glove compartment under the small cubby hole behind the passenger seat or the front behind the dash.

1. Does the GPS unit (not the antenna) fit into the "hideaway space" under the glove hole? This space is under the carpet. See attachment.

2. For those who install this unit under/behind the dash - where do you put this? I imagine it would be tough to the update the GPS using the SD slot?

Thanks!
The easiest install is in the small cubby space behind the driver's seat (or the other small cubby space behind the passenger's seat). The KNA-G510 black box fits this space perfectly. Be sure that you install the black box so that its SD slot is facing towards the front allowing access to its SD slot.

--Spike
Old 05-11-2007, 07:47 PM
MustGoFastR

My unit just arrived today and I haven't had a chance to take it out of the box yet. I'm preparing to move to SoCal, so I likely won't install until after I get there (towing the Z out, so wouldn't use it on the trip).

I'll mount in either one of the cubbies or in the glove box; whichever I deem best. Though now I'm thinking it would indeed be easier to mount the antenna up under the gauge cluster in the dash, as mentioned earlier, than under the trim of the rear strut bar. I'll already have th dash apart and the center console out to connect wiring, so I wouldn't have to pull any additional trim to run the wire and mount it in the rear strut brace location. Hmm... I'll just have to see once I get started.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:20 PM
mg350ZR

Originally Posted by Spike100
It will work, but its antenna is under sheetmetal (your car's roof) mounting in this position. Run it this way and see how it works. ...
Roof is not a problem, since I have a Roadster and drive with the top down 99% of the time. Will have to try it without external antena, and add one later if necessary.