Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

AVIC-D3 Install Guide

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 01:40 PM
GeauxLadyZ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Kuro350z
Hi guys I'm new to these forums. I will be putting this deck in my 05' touring (Bose w/o Nav) as soon as I purchase the harness and dash kit. I will be following this guide for the most part. Anyone have some pointers for me? This is only the 3rd nav install i have ever done. If there is an interest I wouldn't mind doing a DIY guide for '05 Bose w/o nav. Let me know I'll be more than happy to take pics as i go along with the install. Thanks in advance!
That might be a good idea, theres been alot of questions concerning the bose system, including many from me. ill tell you this...

read the last 4-5 pages of this thread b/c with the bose system, there is a special way of installing the wire harness and its diff than the non bose--including seeing if you got the right harness to begin with.

I WOULD STRONGLY RECOMMEND READING THIS ENTIRE THREAD!! even past the install instructions, before you start. If i would have done this i wouldnt have paid for the install and done it myself.

good luck--
Old 03-24-2008, 02:13 PM
sofa king
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so w/ this HU you have to put in the navi DVD for navi to work? can you still listen to the radio while navi is on?
Old 03-25-2008, 05:50 AM
GeauxLadyZ

Originally Posted by sofa king
so w/ this HU you have to put in the navi DVD for navi to work? can you still listen to the radio while navi is on?
Yes you can...and also you ONLY have to have the DVD in while you set the route on your nav menu...once the route is set the system saves the route to the units memory system and you can then take the DVD out and put in a cd if you want, all before you even start driving.

There is one flaw to this, however. If you miss a turn or somehow get off your route, youll have to reinsert the DVD for the nav to recalculate a new route. I recommend just listening to the radio while using the nav and keep the dvd in until you get to your dest...unless its like a 5+ hour drive or something like that.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:02 PM
Rex79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey guys, I read most of the thread but at one point I was lost. I'm having the D3 installed by a professional this weekend and since I know NOTHING about car audio, I have a 2003 Nissan 350Z with Bose, but I bought 2 amps, 1 sub and 2 pairs of speakers that I will replace the bose with. Now, the Metra kit that was talked abou earlier was needed for the original speakers, right? Also, there was a little trim kit that came with the box, will I need anything else? Because the install was done on a 2006+ Z that needed some kind of kit. I know probably most of what I'm asking is in the thread somewhere, but i just wanna make sure.
Thanks a lot!
Nick
Old 04-02-2008, 04:49 AM
GSX-R350Z

Getting ready to order my D3 on friday and going to try to install it ASAP.

Just before I get started though I'll be ordering:

PAC ROEM-NIS2

METRA 99-7602

Hopefully those are my two main components if I'm missing anything please tell me.

I'm an manufacturing engineer/cnc programmer and I don't know a damn thing when it comes to wiring. So I read through this whole guide and tried to get an understanding and well...I'll try heh...

Hopefully you guys will still be here to answer my questions.

Thanks guys.

Oh I'll be installing it on a 2007 Z with BOSE, bluetooth and steering wheel controls. From what I've read some people were having trouble...Damn...
Old 04-02-2008, 05:00 AM
clarkemtp

If you're planning on retaining your steering wheel controls you're also going to need the PAC SWI-PS. www.pac-audio.com

As for the install, it's not THAT complicated. Take your time, understand what you're doing and ask lots of questions once you get the equipment in your hands and start to see what you need to do. You'll do fine.

Good Luck,
Clark
Old 04-02-2008, 05:35 AM
GSX-R350Z

Whoah...Am I going to be able to fit all that inside?
Heh...

PAC SWI-PS

and PAC ROEM-NIS2

It's going to be crowded...

But Thanks for the help ^^
Old 04-02-2008, 08:10 AM
clarkemtp

It's tight, but it fits.

(personally, that's the way I like it. )

LOL
Old 04-02-2008, 08:33 AM
GeauxLadyZ

Originally Posted by clarkemtp
It's tight, but it fits.

(personally, that's the way I like it. )

LOL

Agreed.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:03 PM
GSX-R350Z

Hey another question. It says the PAC ROEM-NIS2 is only for 03-05 with stock bose? will it work for 2007's?

Also another question I had was if I install the Avic-D3 could I still use the factory Bluetooth with it?

Last edited by GSX-R350Z; 04-02-2008 at 11:53 PM.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:28 AM
Kuro350z

I've been reading on AVIC411 and someone on the boards mentioned a amp module to get the best sound out of the bose system. Could someone shed some light on this? I have also bought a PAC ROEM-NIS2 for my 05 is there any other wire harnesses i have to purchase?
Old 04-03-2008, 09:55 AM
philo.beddoe

Originally Posted by GSX-R350Z
Hey another question. It says the PAC ROEM-NIS2 is only for 03-05 with stock bose? will it work for 2007's?

Also another question I had was if I install the Avic-D3 could I still use the factory Bluetooth with it?
I'm in the same boat -- hoping to install either D3 or Kenwood 5120 in an '07 with bose. Called PAC and they said the ROEM-NIS2 isn't supported for the 07 model year. The guy on the phone couldn't tell me if it would work on not or if I'd have to make some modifications. Anyone here installed one on an 07 with bose? Does it work?
Old 04-09-2008, 01:10 PM
deviljon

i think it does work... some dude that purchased an amp off me had an 07 with the d3 installed, im pretty sure he told me he was running the pac roem.

btw, i was looking on avic411.com and trying to find a tutorial to get my ipod video classic to work with the d3. does anyone know how? i know that the new firmware won't allow ipods to work with anything other than cables licensed by apple. but i've heard that it will still work properly with firmware 1.0.2. has anyone gotten this to work?
Old 04-13-2008, 06:27 AM
ChrisCJ99

Ok, so I have a question ( and I'm sure it's been discussed a million times) but is it possible to install ANY head units in the top cubby bin? The reason I ask is because I don't want a nice unit visible to the public (I've had many previous cars broken into and the DVD/Navi unit stolen) I was wondering if I could install this (or any other unit) in the TOP bin, so that I can just close the lid and keep it out of sight.... Anyone?
Old 04-13-2008, 11:43 AM
deviljon

Originally Posted by ChrisCJ99
Ok, so I have a question ( and I'm sure it's been discussed a million times) but is it possible to install ANY head units in the top cubby bin? The reason I ask is because I don't want a nice unit visible to the public (I've had many previous cars broken into and the DVD/Navi unit stolen) I was wondering if I could install this (or any other unit) in the TOP bin, so that I can just close the lid and keep it out of sight.... Anyone?
you could but it would actually take a lot of custom work. it wouldnt be easy.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:09 PM
vispre

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SOrry if its been covered, i tried searching illuminator and dimmer in this thread but maybe i used the wrong term:

I connected everything like in the picture, and everything works great except my unit doesnt dim when i flick the lights on. Im pretty sure i made a good connection. Could it be anything else? otherwise i'll just redo that one wire.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:05 PM
GSX-R350Z

Ordering my Avic-D3Y tomorrow ...still not sure if ROEM-NIS2 works with 2007 Bose but what the hell...i'll try it.
Old 04-19-2008, 04:56 PM
digital_spatula

Just started install on '05 w/ Bose. Using the PAC ROEM-NIS2 and have two questions:

1. I've got two connectors left over from the factory Bose HU. Do I need to do anything with those? (see pic below)

2. There are 4 wires on the PAC that aren't being used because I didn't find any matching wires on the Avic harness. Is that cool or do those need to go somewhere (see pic below):
- LF low level (+) - white/red
- RF low level (+) - gray/red
- LR low level (+) - green/red
- RR low level (+) - purple/red

There's very little info out there on the PAC wiring so hopefully this will help those in the same cruch as me.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:03 PM
M_FRESH

Is there an amp by-pass needed for the bose unit?
Old 04-24-2008, 09:10 AM
Indo784

I have a couple questions. I installed the D3 in my 03 350z with bose yesterday. It sounds great, no cracking or buzzing at low volume and the Ipod hook up works fine. However, I have a couple bugs that need to be worked out. First, I spliced the VSS wire into the white wire like it said in the guide, and its giving very odd readouts, saying I'm moving at 16mph and jumping around even when I'm sitting still.

I'm guessing I spliced it into the wrong wire? Or it could be related to my second issue which is that it thinks I'm in New york when I'm in Indiana. My best guess is that I mounted the reciever behind the dash and its not getting good reception.

I installed this unit in my previous car so I know it works, I just wanted to get your guys opinions before I take the dash apart again. I looked i nthe previous 10 pages as well and didn't see anything, but I may have missed it. Thanks for any help though.

I hope I don't sound too retarded in my first post here..

Quick Reply: AVIC-D3 Install Guide