Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Alpine 7893 w/ Metra Kit (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2003, 04:03 PM
Stone Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Alpine 7893 w/ Metra Kit (pics)

Just got done a little while ago installing an Alpine 7893 with the Metra Kit. I followed Scafremon's pictorial ( http://www.scafremon.com/dashremoval/dash_removal.htm ) and it was a breeze! Like I mentioned in another thread....the only complaint I have with the Metra Kit is that the trim ring supplied (ISO mount) doesn't fit as snug as I'd like it too, but I can live with it. I really like how everything sits flush in the dash. Let me know what you think?

Here's a few pics of the finished product.
Attached Thumbnails Alpine 7893 w/ Metra Kit (pics)-alpine-metra-1.jpg  
Old 05-20-2003, 04:04 PM
Stone Z

Another
Attached Thumbnails Alpine 7893 w/ Metra Kit (pics)-alpine-metra-2.jpg  
Old 05-20-2003, 04:04 PM
Stone Z

One more
Attached Thumbnails Alpine 7893 w/ Metra Kit (pics)-alpine-metra-3.jpg  
Old 05-20-2003, 04:05 PM
Stone Z

Last one!
Attached Thumbnails Alpine 7893 w/ Metra Kit (pics)-alpine-metra-4.jpg  
Old 05-20-2003, 05:24 PM
Sabre

Looks nice Stone Z. It looks like the front of your HU is flush with the trim ring. My Alpine sits a little further back and I was curious how you got it like that? Did you use any of the mounts?
Old 05-20-2003, 05:34 PM
Stone Z

Originally posted by Sabre
Looks nice Stone Z. It looks like the front of your HU is flush with the trim ring. My Alpine sits a little further back and I was curious how you got it like that? Did you use any of the mounts?
I used the ISO mount brackets that came with the Metra Kit, instead of using the mounting sleeve (metal cage) that comes with the Alpine headunit. You have to remove the sleeve from the headunit and also the lock pins (one on each side). Then, you mount the ISO brackets to the headunit with the M5x8 screws (4) that came with your head unit (the holes are already present on your headunit). This will mount the deck flush with the front of the kit.

Did you use the mounting sleeve? I dry fitted mine with the mounting sleeve and found that it sat too far back....that's why I chose the ISO mount.

Last edited by Stone Z; 05-20-2003 at 05:43 PM.
Old 05-23-2003, 09:37 AM
gtinboynton

I have a similar setup.
Alpine CDA-9813 with the Metra kit. I used the trim piece that came with the radio though.. I didn't like the gap i could see when i used the trim that came with the Metra kit. Good Job!
Old 05-23-2003, 10:02 AM
fotodad

Default Beautiful!

Stone Z,

Nice job! It looks clean and professional. Couple questions for you:

Does the factory wiring harness fit right into the Alpine unit, or did you have to do major modifications to make the wiring work?

Did you install anyother equipment, i.e. amp, speakers, eq, etc.? If so, was it just as easy? If not, are you pleased with how the new head unit sounds with the factory speakers?

Since you disassembled the dash, have you noticed any new rattles, squeeks, or knocks?

Was installing the Alpine and mounting kit as easy as taking the factory unit out?

Any advice for would-be, amateur installers? Any "dos" and/or "don'ts"?

Oops! Guess that's more than a couple. I'm going to be installing a new head unit in my car quite soon. Thank you for posting these pictures and providing the website (scafremon) which illustrates how to remove the factory Bose unit. By the way, what did you end up doing with the Bose head unit?
Old 05-23-2003, 01:08 PM
Stone Z

Nice job! It looks clean and professional.

Thank you.

Does the factory wiring harness fit right into the Alpine unit, or did you have to do major modifications to make the wiring work?

No. You need to buy a Metra Wiring Harness. You just solder the Metra harness to the Alpine harness and then plug it into the factory harness. It's very simple. Takes about 30-45 minutes to solder everything together.

Did you install any other equipment, i.e. amp, speakers, eq, etc.? If so, was it just as easy? If not, are you pleased with how the new head unit sounds with the factory speakers?

No, I haven't installed any other equipment as of yet. I'm still using the factory speakers but will be replacing them with Infinity Kappa's a.s.a.p. Even though the new head unit does make the factory speakers sound better, it's still not satisfactory IMO.

Since you disassembled the dash, have you noticed any new rattles, squeaks, or knocks?

No. Everything went back together snug and no new rattles have surfaced. (I too was concerned about this as well).

Was installing the Alpine and mounting kit as easy as taking the factory unit out?

Just as easy if not easier. I've since taken the center dash piece out twice since. Once to reconnect the antenna lead, and once to disconnect the dimmer wire. Took about 5 minutes to remove and 5 minutes to put back. Once you've removed the center dash piece, it's a breeze to re-do.

Any advice for would-be, amateur installers? Any "dos" and/or "don'ts"?

Not really. Just follow Scafremon's pictorial and things will be simple.

By the way, what did you end up doing with the Bose head unit?

I had the non-Bose unit. I placed it in a plastic bag and stuck it in the attic. If I ever decide to sell the car, I'll put the factory unit back in.

Hope this helps you out!
Old 05-23-2003, 02:03 PM
Sabre

Yeah, I used the metal case for the install. So, that is why it sits a little further back than desired. At first I didn't use the plastic mounts included with the kit because it didn't look like it lined up, but I'll try it again. Thanks
Old 05-23-2003, 05:41 PM
ZilverZ

I installed the Alpine 7895 and the Metra kit. I too didn't like the fit so I got some black felt with the sticky backing and used it on the outside of the insert that goes around the radio. It fits much better. The only thing I had trouble with was getting it to look clean. I ended up putting on the felt on and trimming with a razor.
Old 05-30-2003, 03:24 PM
Stone Z

Exclamation

Originally posted by ZilverZ
I installed the Alpine 7895 and the Metra kit. I too didn't like the fit so I got some black felt with the sticky backing and used it on the outside of the insert that goes around the radio. It fits much better. The only thing I had trouble with was getting it to look clean. I ended up putting on the felt on and trimming with a razor.
I just fixed my loose trim ring problem. I had some spare Velcro (soft side) laying around, so I cut two thin strips and placed one on each vertical side of the trim ring behind the lip. Fits snug as a rug now, and you can't see a thing.