Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

2-Way Component Systems input

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 03:50 AM
StreetOC192

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vaughan
Ever heard of dynamatting?
The ring could be just from your car, or whats in it.

Since it seems you are looking for quality over quantity of sound, tuning, in your head unit or otherwise can also make a world of difference. Where your speaker ranges cross ( if they do ) can have the wrong sounds coming out of the right speakers.
I agree tuning can solve many of the problems of a bright set of tweeters, however generally speaking a metal tweet is going to be brighter than a fabric or composite tweet. It takes less attenuation/tuning/placement to make fabric/composite sound......tolerable. IMHO a metal tweet is very well suited to a home theater or listening room where there are many more absorbent surfaces, whereas in a car there are far more reflective surfaces contributing to the harshness/brightness of a tweeter. So this would be why many people on this board as well as any other board I've ever been a member of recommend a NON-metal tweet to an individual looking for advice on a component set; unless of course the person states that they LOVE crisp/bright highs. This is mostly because it is almost assumed (not always the case though) that if the person is asking advice on a component set, they may not have all the knowledge necessary to place/attenuate/tune the set correctly to overcome the bright/harsh characteristics of a metal tweet.

And of course we have all heard of dynamat, it's grossly overpriced and there are far more affordable and equally performing products out there. But to address your statement, dynamat or similar products don't help with the harshness of a tweeter, however a closed cell foam or ensolite or even unbacked carpeting could assist in the attenuation of a tweeter if installed in a manner to do so.

Last edited by StreetOC192; 12-04-2007 at 03:53 AM.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:49 PM
Vaughan

Originally Posted by StreetOC192

And of course we have all heard of dynamat, it's grossly overpriced and there are far more affordable and equally performing products out there. But to address your statement, dynamat or similar products don't help with the harshness of a tweeter, however a closed cell foam or ensolite or even unbacked carpeting could assist in the attenuation of a tweeter if installed in a manner to do so.
sorry
was meant to be rhetorical

The ring could be just from your car, or whats in it.? in a car there are far more reflective surfaces contributing to the harshness/brightness of a tweeter?

I wasn't sure how versed he was in placement and tuning. I was meerly saying he may not need new or more expensive speakers at all when a few cheap changes... ie carpet could make him happy.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:14 PM
StreetOC192

Originally Posted by Vaughan
sorry
was meant to be rhetorical

The ring could be just from your car, or whats in it.? in a car there are far more reflective surfaces contributing to the harshness/brightness of a tweeter?

I wasn't sure how versed he was in placement and tuning. I was meerly saying he may not need new or more expensive speakers at all when a few cheap changes... ie carpet could make him happy.
It's all good. Hopefully the OP has enough info here to formulate an educated decision on components.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:29 PM
Vaughan

Hopefully. I thought that about one of my friends.
Was wrong.

Note to OP.
Dont be holding your new head unit lean on the body of you car, and then grab your positive batter contact. Doesn't end well.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:51 PM
smaha

before you buy your components, please check out diamond audio hex w/silk dome tweeters. you will not be disappointed in SQ or price. woofersetc.com has them for ~$300USD.