Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

A different, more discreet stereo option. (IDEA)

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 02:22 PM
WTX350Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A different, more discreet stereo option. (IDEA)

With all the recent threads concerning Double DIN Nav setups getting stolen, combined with my dislike for the "unclean" look of installed Single DIN headunits. I have been searching for another alternative. Basically this all began when my Bose started irritating me by its magical "loud, no quiet, no loud" characteristics.

I recently (a few mins ago) found what I think might do the trick...

Kenwood KOS-V500 - A/V integration part.....not sure if you have to keep the OE deck, or if you can completely d/c it, haven't figured that one out yet.

Then match it up with the KNA-G510 (Navigation), and the KOS-L702 (touchscreen that I believe will fit in the cubby.

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entert...Video/KOS-V500
http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entert...Video/KOS-L702
http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entert...ation/KNA-G510

And then add the KDV-S211P (DVD player) if you want to watch movies too.
http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entert...ideo/KDV-S211P

I'm thinking this setup would allow me to do all the cool things Double DIN's like the Avic D3 would, but would be easily hidden (screen in cubby, A/V integration and DVD player in "glove box".)

I'm hoping I could completely d/c my OE deck, and either remove it and replace with a large Truely factory looking cubby, or just leave it in. Or guess I could Fiberglass over the hole and paint the console.

Am I way off course? Is there a better option? (other than Double DIN + alarm.)

I haven't seen anyone go about this in this particular direction, so would love feedback.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:03 PM
StreetOC192

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very interesting.....your ideas intrigue me and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter. (Seinfeld reference)

The only thing I see missing would be standard AM/FM radio, but there are external tuners you could add on using the audio ins on the controller. You will also need to get aftermarket amps and speakers. I would leave the OE radio intact to uphold that "I did nothing to my car" look. Hide the screen in am '03 cubby with the retracting door. I would want to test out the GUI of the control unit before making such a purchase though. And would an iPod be controlled via the touch screen or would you have to control it via the iPod itself?
Old 12-13-2007, 03:05 PM
THEDUKE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No you do not have to keep the OEM deck, but it could be integrated into the system and the system will recognize it as another source. The system will work as a stand alone system. Besides adding the options you mentioned you can do Ipod interface as well and multiple video inputs. I would leave the factory deck that way your dash looks stock. Think of this system as a DDX7019 without the DVD drive. I have spoken to a few members on here about this set up and I am finally glad someone finally got the light bulb to light up, because everyone always ask if a Double Din can be put in the upper cubby. This would be the solution for them.
Just info from the post above, it comes with built in tuner, but you can also use the OEM head unit as a tuner.
You also do not need to add amps and speakers because it has a built in 50W X 4 amplifier.

Last edited by THEDUKE; 12-13-2007 at 03:07 PM.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:12 PM
StreetOC192

Originally Posted by THEDUKE
Just info from the post above, it comes with built in tuner, but you can also use the OEM head unit as a tuner.
You also do not need to add amps and speakers because it has a built in 50W X 4 amplifier.
OK, I didn't see where it had a built in tuner. And as for the amps, i did see the built in 50x4 (which is more like 15 real world rms x 4), but if you are going through all this trouble and integration of high quality components just to push through factory speakers, it would be a waste IMHO. But you are correct that aftermarket amps are not NEEDED.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:45 AM
WTX350Z

Glad to see I'm not way off base. I've been kicking all the ideas around in my head for quite some time now, and I'm just glad the hardware I want exists...now to figure out how to convince the wife that its "necessary".

I'd do a speaker swap and go all out....so I figure with this setup and speakers/sub I'd be into it all for about 2k...which is a lot of money for me to spend on a car stereo...so not sure as of yet if I'll ever do this, but thought I'd share the idea.

Thanks for the comments/info. Glad to hear the OE deck can be completely bypassed.

I really need to win the lottery so I wouldn't feel so bad spending 2k so frivolously.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:52 AM
StreetOC192

Originally Posted by WTX350Z
Glad to see I'm not way off base. I've been kicking all the ideas around in my head for quite some time now, and I'm just glad the hardware I want exists...now to figure out how to convince the wife that its "necessary".

I'd do a speaker swap and go all out....so I figure with this setup and speakers/sub I'd be into it all for about 2k...which is a lot of money for me to spend on a car stereo...so not sure as of yet if I'll ever do this, but thought I'd share the idea.

Thanks for the comments/info. Glad to hear the OE deck can be completely bypassed.

I really need to win the lottery so I wouldn't feel so bad spending 2k so frivolously.
Well i priced out (on Crutchfield) the control unit, nav unit and screen and the total was $1800 just for those 3 items. By the time you add the DVD drive, amps, speakers and sub you are probably looking at a grand total UPWARDS from $3000 depending on how high-end you went with speakers and amps. Not a lot of money really considering all you will get and the fact that you could keep your dash looking 100% OEM.

Do a little at a time if you have to. Get the control unit and screen first. then add navi, then add amps and speakers.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:13 AM
WTX350Z

Originally Posted by StreetOC192
Well i priced out (on Crutchfield) the control unit, nav unit and screen and the total was $1800 just for those 3 items. By the time you add the DVD drive, amps, speakers and sub you are probably looking at a grand total UPWARDS from $3000 depending on how high-end you went with speakers and amps. Not a lot of money really considering all you will get and the fact that you could keep your dash looking 100% OEM.

Do a little at a time if you have to. Get the control unit and screen first. then add navi, then add amps and speakers.
Forgot to mention I don't pay retail for stereo equipment...not the hookup I used to get, but still much cheaper than Crutchfield. priced it out to 995.00 (for the 3 parts listed and I think something else...ipod connector maybe.)
Old 12-14-2007, 11:33 AM
StreetOC192

Originally Posted by WTX350Z
Forgot to mention I don't pay retail for stereo equipment...not the hookup I used to get, but still much cheaper than Crutchfield. priced it out to 995.00 (for the 3 parts listed and I think something else...ipod connector maybe.)
Oh really? can you extend that courtesy to a fellow Z owner?
Old 12-17-2007, 04:45 AM
WTX350Z

Originally Posted by StreetOC192
Oh really? can you extend that courtesy to a fellow Z owner?
Doubt it friends keep quitting their dang jobs. Morons...they need to think about how that affects me.