Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Coaxial vs Component

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 09:37 PM
aireq

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coaxial vs Component

Ok I'm a little confused about coaxial vs component speakers. I've read in a lot of places that component systems are better because they allow you more flexibility in the position of the tweeters. However, I'm also seeing a lot of builds by people that are building pods or kick panels that allow them to mount the tweeter right next to the mid range speaker.

So say I have two identical sets of speakers. One with the tweeters built into the main speaker (coaxial) and another set with a separate tweeter (component) which would be better and what would be the best way to mount them in the Z?

Eric
Old 12-26-2007, 09:48 PM
SChetal

IMO a component set in the front works far better than a simply coaxial speaker. Stock locations for front speakers are pretty shitty due the door finisher highly shields sound, so a simple kickpod would make a world of difference in the front and you can use the stock location for the rears without any problems.

Hope that helps!
Old 12-27-2007, 04:08 AM
StreetOC192

Coaxials mounted at ear level and on-axis would be the ideal way to go in an IDEAL world. More specifically Point Source speakers would be the most ideal. all the sound coming from ONE point. The problem with this is that in a car, the speakers are mounted low in the door or dash (OE locations). This does not set a very good stage, you are WAYYYYYY off axis, and legs can get in the way and muffle the tweets. Enter the component sets - they allow you to raise the tweets up in the door to improve the stage and perhaps get them a little more on-axis. But for most audiophiles, this becomes an imaging problem and time correction becomes an issue to make the tweets and mids sound as if they are still coming from one place.

Now the problem with buying coaxials or point source speakers these days is that there are very few high end coaxials out there because the component market is so hot. Manufacturers aren't focusing a lot on their coaxial market. Another caveat is that with a pole piece extending through the center of most coaxials you decrease the rigidity of the mid woofer cone and thereby reduce the air displacement and accuracy. There are some coaxial type speakers you can get that solve this issue like these HERE.

I hope this kind of clears it up a little bit.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:13 AM
shadykilla717

Would you agree then to order a set of coaxils for the rear. Since its right at your head. And get a set of components for the front doors?? Also can I put the tweeters in the same spot of the stock tweeters??
Old 12-27-2007, 04:25 AM
StreetOC192

Originally Posted by shadykilla717
Would you agree then to order a set of coaxils for the rear. Since its right at your head. And get a set of components for the front doors?? Also can I put the tweeters in the same spot of the stock tweeters??
I am a proponent of NO rear fill, but this is a personal preference. If you do want rear fill, then even a cheap pair of coaxials is fine. The proper way to do rear fill is to BARELY be able to hear them and you SHOULD have them only reproduce sound between around 250Hz~5kHz.

You could put the tweeters in the stock locations (if they'll fit), but to get a perfect SQ level of sound will require a bit of tuning/time delay.

All of these questions (not just yours shadykilla717) are very relative to what level of sound you are used to and/or desire from your system. You could drop in a set of $30 coaxials in the stock locations running off the headunit and some people will think it sounds great while others will pick apart the shortcomings of the setup.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:02 AM
350zspl
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

off headunit power coax

off amp components

this rule is pretty much universal
Old 12-27-2007, 02:37 PM
shadykilla717

Originally Posted by 350zspl
off headunit power coax

off amp components

If only i knew what the rule meant....
Old 12-27-2007, 03:17 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by StreetOC192
Coaxials mounted at ear level and on-axis would be the ideal way to go in an IDEAL world. More specifically Point Source speakers would be the most ideal. all the sound coming from ONE point. The problem with this is that in a car, the speakers are mounted low in the door or dash (OE locations). This does not set a very good stage, you are WAYYYYYY off axis, and legs can get in the way and muffle the tweets. Enter the component sets - they allow you to raise the tweets up in the door to improve the stage and perhaps get them a little more on-axis. But for most audiophiles, this becomes an imaging problem and time correction becomes an issue to make the tweets and mids sound as if they are still coming from one place.

Now the problem with buying coaxials or point source speakers these days is that there are very few high end coaxials out there because the component market is so hot. Manufacturers aren't focusing a lot on their coaxial market. Another caveat is that with a pole piece extending through the center of most coaxials you decrease the rigidity of the mid woofer cone and thereby reduce the air displacement and accuracy. There are some coaxial type speakers you can get that solve this issue like these HERE.

I hope this kind of clears it up a little bit.
This just a great posting that clearly defines the issues and the solutions. Nice job explaining this.

--Spike
Old 12-27-2007, 07:28 PM
aireq

Yes that helps a ton thanks a lot.

off headunit power coax

off amp components

So it would be best to get components up front and run them off a separate amp, and then get coaxial for the rear and run them off the deck?
Old 12-27-2007, 08:17 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

^^ Not sure about this.

I have a Eclipse 4 Channel Amp (Model EA3422), and to this external amp I connect all speakers (front and rear, but no SubW, and did not connect any speaker to the H/U):

- Focal 165 V Slim component speakers in the doors (tweeters mounted in the A-Pillars)

- Infinity coaxial speakers in the rear speaker space

--Spike
Old 12-27-2007, 08:19 PM
SuperBlack350z

Originally Posted by Spike100
^^ Not sure about this.

I have a Eclipse 4 Channel Amp (Model EA3422), and to this external amp I connect all speakers (front and rear, but no SubW, and did not connect any speaker to the H/U):

- Focal 165 V Slim component speakers in the doors (tweeters mounted in the A-Pillars)

- Infinity coaxial speakers in the rear speaker space

--Spike
+1

when i had components up front and coaxials in the rear, all of thsi was powered off of a 4 channel amp. Not sure if the headunit would be efficient to power aftermarket coaxials.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:02 AM
StreetOC192

An aftermarket headunit will be fine for running aftermarket coaxials if you are going to use them as REAR FILL. If you like to HEAR the music coming from the rear, then you will be better off running them off an outboard amp.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:45 AM
350zspl
Banned

components only sound good off an amp

they do not sound good off a headunit power

so if you getting an amp do comps

if you are not getting an amp do coax