Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

NEW KENWOOD DNX8120 EXCELON DOUBLE DIN 5.1 RCA 5V PREOUTS (Wicked CAS)

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 03:48 AM
cwh060

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I suspect Nazar is right, they are probably not an authorized Excelon dealer.

Guess the point I was making is that no one, Kenwood included has heard of a recall. Some of the big boys are still shipping these out and confirmed they have not heard of a recall.

If it's a simple FW upgrade after they are shipped and in consumer hands, it's a pretty easy process. Burn the files to a blank CDR and insert it into the unit, the Kenwood HU will do the rest. Have done it succesfully with other HU's. The big question will be, when will Kenwood make the FW available on their site. (they have a FW upgrade for the 7100 the process is identical)

If I remember the manual shows you how to read the software version installed on the HU.

cwh
Old 04-04-2008, 06:10 AM
Hurricain

I just spoke with some at Kenwood this morning and he said they had some radio go out with the wrong firmware. He said there weren't many, but they are trying to get them back so they can correct the problem. But once again wouldn't you rather have it right the first time and not have to worry about doing the update yourself. At least this way it still falls on Kenwood. I know I'm like everyone else out there that ordered one of these. Paceing back and forth till it gets here. I had the whole thing planned out. I was going to install it next weekend while we boiled up some crawfish. Oh well.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:15 AM
jasonastacio

I don't think anyone is questioning the fact of wanting it with the correct FW right out of the box. I think the only thing up in the air is that some places will and are shipping these units out. Unless the buyer pays for return shipping and maybe re-shipping, it is worth it if the customer performs his own upgrade.

Does anyone know if Kenwood will release the upgrade to the public?
Old 04-04-2008, 06:38 AM
jasonastacio

I just made another call to Kenwood. This rep told me that it is not a firmware upgrade and it's not something the customer can perform. So it looks like they all need to go back to Kenwood regardless. The only thing she could not answer is, how does the customer know if this fix was performed when they receive it. She said they may know what the flag is next week.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:51 AM
THEDUKE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am going to chime in on this since everyone seems to be jumping to their own conclusions. The reason for this rework is to install the most recent version of the software controlling the navigation interface with the touchscreen. The current version has shown a tendency to lock up the navigation function at times. If this happens, it can be cleared by using the remote control enter key then the unit goes back to normal operation. Kenwood is actually having the proper equipment and personal come over from Japan to have the upgrade done here in the states. Otherwise they would all have to be shipped back overseas. This recall affects all units shipped out of Kenwood warehouse before April 1st, which was pretty much all of them. Once again the reason this cannot be perfromed on site is because special equipment is neccesary for this upgrade.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:59 AM
ryanmp31

Nice explanation :-) Thanks THEDUKE!
Old 04-04-2008, 08:04 AM
TheOtherRob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP, is this headunit one peice? Or must you install a brain somewhere else inside the car? Also, will you have to run any external antennas outside the car? Sorry, but my last multimedia headunit was all built into one single din unti with a flip up screen.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:55 AM
Hurricain

Like Ryanmp31 said nice explanation on what's going on with the radios. Aparently your rep was a little more knowlegeable on what was going on than the guy I spoke with.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:59 AM
cwh060

THEDUKE,

Thanks for clearing this up.

cwh
Old 04-06-2008, 09:14 PM
ryanmp31

These exerpts are off of the Crutchfield site:

1. Referring to Video playback:
"Parking Break Detection: To prevent the displaying of video while the vehicle is in motion, the light green wire in the supplied 22-pin harness must be connected to the vehicle's parking brake detection circuit, as well as a constant power source and ground. While the vehicle is in motion (parking brake off), you can still view all of the other displays and menus."

2. Referring to Nav:
"Safe Mode: Safe Mode disables all navigation system functions when the vehicle's parking break is disengaged, that require significant operator attention and could become a distraction while driving."

I wonder if both of these refer to that little green wire from the first exerpt, and if so, would it be possible to just permanently ground that wire to allow for full functionality all of the time??

**Any thoughts?
Old 04-06-2008, 10:30 PM
MikeBuzzsaw

Can we at least control radiocd while driving?
Old 04-07-2008, 06:06 AM
ryanmp31

Yes, the only things it appears you wont be able to control while the vehicle is in motion (parking brake dis-engaged) is the nav fucntions and watching a video. (The nav will still work, you just wont be able to make any changes while in motion).

I've read about this in other Kenwood models, and from what I've read it sounds like we can just permanently gound that wire to bypass this block....but I'm not 100% sure of that on this model. I thought I remember reading somebody say something about this causing problems with the DNX7120??

Either way, it couldn't be as bad as the Pioneer models with the build in gyro that senses when the item is in motion.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:38 AM
buzzardmountain

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanmp31
These exerpts are off of the Crutchfield site:

1. Referring to Video playback:
"Parking Break Detection: To prevent the displaying of video while the vehicle is in motion, the light green wire in the supplied 22-pin harness must be connected to the vehicle's parking brake detection circuit, as well as a constant power source and ground. While the vehicle is in motion (parking brake off), you can still view all of the other displays and menus."

2. Referring to Nav:
"Safe Mode: Safe Mode disables all navigation system functions when the vehicle's parking break is disengaged, that require significant operator attention and could become a distraction while driving."

I wonder if both of these refer to that little green wire from the first exerpt, and if so, would it be possible to just permanently ground that wire to allow for full functionality all of the time??

**Any thoughts?
This would be nice to know.....if we can't bypass this nuisance, then I have no plan to upgrade. If someone needs to PM me the info instead of it being in public....feel free to do so.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:42 AM
ryanmp31

Originally Posted by buzzardmountain
This would be nice to know.....if we can't bypass this nuisance, then I have no plan to upgrade. If someone needs to PM me the info instead of it being in public....feel free to do so.

Same here, I will upgrade either way because of all the other features...and I dont plan on actually utilizing these features while driving, but they would be nice for any passangers in the vehicle.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:48 AM
TheOtherRob

My panasonic unit will have full function for video from grounding the ebrake wire. But I also have heard of people that had pioneer had to wire in a switch and flip it to ground the wire after the car starts to use video while in motion.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:50 AM
ryanmp31

Hey Nazar,

Any word on when you will be getting the units back from Kenwood so you can ship them out to us?
Old 04-08-2008, 11:03 AM
Nazar
Banned

Hey Nazar,

Any word on when you will be getting the units back from Kenwood so you can ship them out to us?
They already have half my units, the other half is getting tags today or tomorrow.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:53 AM
ryanmp31

So does that mean that it will still probably be a couple weeks until we get them?
Old 04-08-2008, 12:13 PM
Nazar
Banned

So does that mean that it will still probably be a couple weeks until we get them?

They told me 5 day turn around. On top of shipping.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:24 PM
ryanmp31

OK, thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: NEW KENWOOD DNX8120 EXCELON DOUBLE DIN 5.1 RCA 5V PREOUTS (Wicked CAS)