Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

new headunit

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 08:31 AM
350zspl
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

kwame has the shiznit

Last edited by Kwame; 03-24-2008 at 08:52 AM.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:31 AM
BeejZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a no frills kind of guy. I recently bought the 9887 with Imprint. This thing is amazing. If you want perfect sound get the imprint module, its a bit pricey but to me its totally worth it. Makes a decent system sound perfect.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:35 AM
350zspl
Banned

Originally Posted by BeejZ
I am a no frills kind of guy. I recently bought the 9887 with Imprint. This thing is amazing. If you want perfect sound get the imprint module, its a bit pricey but to me its totally worth it. Makes a decent system sound perfect.

noted thanks
Old 03-24-2008, 08:54 AM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 350zspl
kwame has the shiznit
Travis you know how I roll!

Thanks for the compliment. Its a great headunit, but yours is not that far behind at all. I used to have a 9835, I will admit I miss it at times.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:30 AM
GeauxLadyZ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well i am married so sex takes a back seat
Lol i feel you man. Makes sense though about the SQ. Im just not really into tweakin my SQ so my opinion is a biased one. I guess its one of those things (SQ tweakin) you've got to be 150% into to make that sacrifice for better sound...again in my opinion. I think its idiotic tho that they cant make a DD screen HU that can ALSO be a great asset to a good system (one that could pump out 4 instead of 2) Anyone know the reason for that?
Old 03-24-2008, 10:33 AM
350zspl
Banned

Originally Posted by GeauxLadyZ
Lol i feel you man. Makes sense though about the SQ. Im just not really into tweakin my SQ so my opinion is a biased one. I guess its one of those things (SQ tweakin) you've got to be 150% into to make that sacrifice for better sound...again in my opinion. I think its idiotic tho that they cant make a DD screen HU that can ALSO be a great asset to a good system (one that could pump out 4 instead of 2) Anyone know the reason for that?
the higher the line out voltage on your head unit the less gain you need on your amp

the less gain on your amp the less current you suck off your electrical

but it is not for SQ it is for spl sound pressure level
Old 03-24-2008, 10:43 AM
GeauxLadyZ

the higher the line out voltage on your head unit the less gain you need on your amp

the less gain on your amp the less current you suck off your electrical

but it is not for SQ it is for spl sound pressure level

Oh, well either way. movies are a must with my commute. I like how the guy said "dvds are useless cause they are illegal to watch while driving" lol, ive never seen or heard of ANYONE not getting the brake switch bypassed or ANYONE EVER getting pulled over for it...but i guess it could happen.

Cops will be quicker to pull you for 15% or less tint than that--and even thats a super rare deal--only if they suspect you for something else will they try to use that excuse.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:46 AM
350zspl
Banned

Oh, well either way. movies are a must with my commute. I like how the guy said "dvds are useless cause they are illegal to watch while driving" lol, ive never seen or heard of ANYONE not getting the brake switch bypassed or ANYONE EVER getting pulled over for it...but i guess it could happen.

Cops will be quicker to pull you for 15% or less tint than that--and even thats a super rare deal--only if they suspect you for something else will they try to use that excuse.
gonna take a bit more than grounding the e-brake on the d3 to bypass must relocate cell phone mute wire

works like a charm though

the d3 is a great unit don;t get me wrong
Old 03-24-2008, 11:03 AM
GeauxLadyZ

gonna take a bit more than grounding the e-brake on the d3 to bypass must relocate cell phone mute wire
works like a charm though

the d3 is a great unit don;t get me wrong
Ya did this, thats what i meant by the bypass. they Are making it harder these days to do that man.

Used to be you could just ground ebrake...

But enough of my thread jacking
Old 03-24-2008, 11:10 AM
StreetOC192

I think its idiotic tho that they cant make a DD screen HU that can ALSO be a great asset to a good system (one that could pump out 4 instead of 2) Anyone know the reason for that?
I agree, I was hoping Eclipse or Pioneer would come out with a nice SQ oriented DD unit for 2008, but alas, nothing

Afterall, to have a DD with DVD player/navi/copper chassis/24 bit da converter/audiophile grade circuitry/no built in amp/seperate power supply/seperate 11 band peq for left and right/3 way xover/4 or higher preamp outs @ 55ohm.......you'd be talking about probably a $3000 unit!!! Not much of a market for something like that.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:14 AM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Eh, who needs all that extra crap? It's just more things to potentially go wrong.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:44 PM
GeauxLadyZ

Originally Posted by StreetOC192
I agree, I was hoping Eclipse or Pioneer would come out with a nice SQ oriented DD unit for 2008, but alas, nothing

Afterall, to have a DD with DVD player/navi/copper chassis/24 bit da converter/audiophile grade circuitry/no built in amp/seperate power supply/seperate 11 band peq for left and right/3 way xover/4 or higher preamp outs @ 55ohm.......you'd be talking about probably a $3000 unit!!! Not much of a market for something like that.
lol ya but it would be one badass system to have dude!
Old 03-24-2008, 04:57 PM
BeejZ

all the stuff is just bling to get people's attention. Not needed.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:57 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by StreetOC192
There are no double DIN's that can touch a high end single DIN for SQ.....with the exception of MAYBE an Alpine W205/H701 combo. For those who spend a lot of money and install time on high end drivers and amps, it would be a shame to feed it with a sub=par source. A system is only as good as its weakest link.

I had the first gen Eclipse double DIN all-in-one navi unit and loved it for what it was, but the only reason I can see a use for another double DIN is for navi. The DVD function was useless to me since it's illegal to watch a movie while driving .
I installed one of the fancy "all-in-one" double-din devices with a nifty LCD screen... and hated its SQ. I swapped this out ASAP for a high-end Clarion single-din to get much better sound and control. For navigation, I went with a 7" LCD in the upper/forward cubby.

--Spike

Last edited by Spike100; 03-24-2008 at 06:01 PM.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:44 AM
GeauxLadyZ

Originally Posted by Spike100
I installed one of the fancy "all-in-one" double-din devices with a nifty LCD screen... and hated its SQ. I swapped this out ASAP for a high-end Clarion single-din to get much better sound and control. For navigation, I went with a 7" LCD in the upper/forward cubby.

--Spike

Spike, what nav system are u using with this screen--your not talking about an entire DD HU, right?? I heard this was impossible to put in upper cubby. Im assuming your talking about something like what you mentioned involving the 2 kenwood screens...only with a Single D instead of DD, and the LCD connected to ? (regular portable nav unit with outs??) Just curious...
Old 03-25-2008, 05:35 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Spike, what nav system are u using with this screen--your not talking about an entire DD HU, right?? I heard this was impossible to put in upper cubby. Im assuming your talking about something like what you mentioned involving the 2 kenwood screens...only with a Single D instead of DD, and the LCD connected to ? (regular portable nav unit with outs??) Just curious...
I’m definitely an A/V “addict.” A/V “addicts” waste money because we cannot resist swapping perfectly good equipment trying to get a better setup. I’ve installed double-din “all-in-one” devices (Eclipse and Pioneer with nav. and LCD) in the Z’s lower DD space, but swapped these out because I wasn’t satisfied with the units’ SQ, and the viewing angle to the Z’s DD space is too low for safe operation (IMHO).

I have (and always have had) a stand-alone LCD installed in the Z’s upper/forward cubby. I’ve experimented with 3 of these (LCD screens). This is where I prefer seeing and running my GPS. If you purchase a Z equipped with OEM GPS; that is where Nissan places the screen, for good reason.

This is a picture of my current setup.

Please forgive the harsh flash/reflection, but it shows the setup. This picture was taken after dark, so the GPS is displaying its maps in night-mode.

Here is what I have now:
  • Clarion H/U with a Sirius satellite radio receiver
  • Eclipse 4 Channel Amp
  • Focal 165 V Slim component speakers in the doors (tweeters mounted in the A-Pillars)
  • Infinity coaxial speakers in the rear speaker space
  • Power Acoustik PT-700MHR LCD 7” Monitor in the upper/forward cubby space
  • Garmin GVN52 Navigation Box (mounted in the rear cubby space behind the driver’s seat)
  • PAC Audio Source Switcher (mutes radio when sending navigation voice commands to the front speakers)

My next project/plan is swapping out the Power Acoustik monitor for a Kenwood KOS-L702 remote monitor in the upper/forward cubby, adding a Kenwood KOS-V500 or KOS-V1000 controller, and keeping everything else. But, my favorite installer shop just decided to close, so the project is on hold until I find a new local shop to help me with this project.

--Spike