Which nav system to put in cubby?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 07:16 PM
Kelson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Which nav system to put in cubby?

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forums and used the search feature before posting this

I couldn't find anything that specifically addressed my questions, but did find some helpful tidbits. I'm hoping some of you handy knowledgeable folks can point me in the right direction.

I have a new '07 Touring Convertible (Daytona Blue - yay!) and want to add aftermarket Nav + traffic + hands free bluetooth + XM Satelite + Ipod and am trying to find my best option. I've never used an automobile nav system, but have a little experience with talking to folks who have used some and how frustrating factory ones can be as well as giving turn-by-turn directions to them in their vehicles. I've heard Garmin is a good system to use, but have no experience with it.

Here's the big catch (well, 2 of them, actually) - I have the nice bose system in the car (yeah, I know - not the best system around, but it's decent for factory) and I would like to keep the head unit, if at all possible. I like the 6 disc in-dash changer, even with an ipod. I also want to put the unit in the cubby slot (while keeping the lid, if at all possible - or using the motorized lid, whichever).

I went to a local car audio shop that's gotten good reviews for being knowledgeable, and they want to completely replace my head unit with my nav system. They don't think it can be installed in the cubby. Looking at my console, the nav system would just be too low for my tastes if I put it in the place of the bose head unit. I really want it to be up higher in the cubby spot.

Can this be done?

What units would you recommend? I am currently considering the Alpine PMD-B200 with the XM traffic module (HCE-100XM) - about $2,200 installed and it seems to have the features I want or the Kenwood DNX5120 - about $1,500 installed, but that doesn't include the XM traffic that I want.

Any advice you could give me would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

Kelson
Old 03-31-2008, 12:10 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

^^ A Kenwood KOS setup might be just what you need.

--Spike
Old 03-31-2008, 12:20 PM
GeauxLadyZ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If your willing to spend the money I would go with the Alpine over ANYTHING else. Best-in-class in my opinion...you cant go wrong with Alpine.

Second choice would be the Pioneer AVIC-Z2(x) package you can get with bluetooth and backup camera included i think.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:55 PM
Spike100

Hi and welcome to the Forum. You are asking a good question. There has been considerable discussion about this. Two major points:
  • Double-Din units won’t fit inside the upper/forward cubby (the position Nissan mounts OEM navigation).
  • Double-Din “all-in-one” devices will fit the lower DD slot in the Z, but the navigation screen with this configuration is too low for optimum viewing (as you mention).

The solution is installing an LCD monitor in the upper/forward cubby, and connecting this screen to a remote navigation “black-box.” There are three different ways to do this:
  1. Kenwood KOS-L702 touch-screen monitor, Kenwood Controller (KOS-V500 or KOS V-1000), and KNAG510 navigation box.
  2. Kenwood LZ702W touch-screen monitor in the cubby connected to a KNAG510 navigation box.
  3. A 7” LCD monitor in the upper/forward cubby connected to a Garmin GVN53 “Black-Box” navigation unit.

Any of the above (1, 2, or 3) allows you to keep your OEM Bose (H/U, amplifier, SubW, and speakers) intact.

Solution 1 is the most costly, but the KOS Controller adds a terrestrial radio tuner as well as many options to connect other devices (DVD, HD radio, rearview camera, additional amps, etc.). You can control everything using touch-screen functions or a handheld IR remote control. This solution also requires adding a PAC device if you want to connect the OEM Bose system to the KOS Controller.

Solution 2 costs less, and provides touch-screen function for navigation without requiring integration into your OEM Bose system.

Solution 3 is the least costly, but does not support touch-screen function (and instead uses a handheld RF remote). This solution is the most flexible because you can use any 7” LCD monitor (NTSC composite video or RGB). Composite video uses standard RCA connectors and RGB needs a VGA adapter available from Garmin.

Additional Note: Placing a 7” LCD screen is very easy to do in the early Z models (literally a “drop-in”), but requires some minor custom fabrication in later Zs (as your 2007). But, it’s a simple project that any experienced installer can handle readily.

--Spike

Originally Posted by Kelson
Hi everyone,

I am new to the forums and used the search feature before posting this

I couldn't find anything that specifically addressed my questions, but did find some helpful tidbits. I'm hoping some of you handy knowledgeable folks can point me in the right direction.

I have a new '07 Touring Convertible (Daytona Blue - yay!) and want to add aftermarket Nav + traffic + hands free bluetooth + XM Satelite + Ipod and am trying to find my best option. I've never used an automobile nav system, but have a little experience with talking to folks who have used some and how frustrating factory ones can be as well as giving turn-by-turn directions to them in their vehicles. I've heard Garmin is a good system to use, but have no experience with it.

Here's the big catch (well, 2 of them, actually) - I have the nice bose system in the car (yeah, I know - not the best system around, but it's decent for factory) and I would like to keep the head unit, if at all possible. I like the 6 disc in-dash changer, even with an ipod. I also want to put the unit in the cubby slot (while keeping the lid, if at all possible - or using the motorized lid, whichever).

I went to a local car audio shop that's gotten good reviews for being knowledgeable, and they want to completely replace my head unit with my nav system. They don't think it can be installed in the cubby. Looking at my console, the nav system would just be too low for my tastes if I put it in the place of the bose head unit. I really want it to be up higher in the cubby spot.

Can this be done?

What units would you recommend? I am currently considering the Alpine PMD-B200 with the XM traffic module (HCE-100XM) - about $2,200 installed and it seems to have the features I want or the Kenwood DNX5120 - about $1,500 installed, but that doesn't include the XM traffic that I want.

Any advice you could give me would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

Kelson
Old 04-01-2008, 06:05 AM
Kelson

Originally Posted by Spike100

There are three different ways to do this:
  1. Kenwood KOS-L702 touch-screen monitor, Kenwood Controller (KOS-V500 or KOS V-1000), and KNAG510 navigation box.
  2. Kenwood LZ702W touch-screen monitor in the cubby connected to a KNAG510 navigation box.
  3. A 7” LCD monitor in the upper/forward cubby connected to a Garmin GVN53 “Black-Box” navigation unit.

Any of the above (1, 2, or 3) allows you to keep your OEM Bose (H/U, amplifier, SubW, and speakers) intact.
Hi Spike -

Thanks so much for your help on this! It's good to hear I'm not being overly high-maintenance with my request. I just really dislike putting my nav system where the Bose head unit is. It's too low. Heck, the gear shift blocks part of the screen when it's in park.

Solution 1 is the most costly, but the KOS Controller adds a terrestrial radio tuner as well as many options to connect other devices (DVD, HD radio, rearview camera, additional amps, etc.). You can control everything using touch-screen functions or a handheld IR remote control. This solution also requires adding a PAC device if you want to connect the OEM Bose system to the KOS Controller.
This sounds like a good option, if I can afford it. Do you know if this allows for hands-free bluetooth, Nav traffic, XM radio and an iPod? Those are the options I want for sure. And, of course, the ability to play DVDs.

I can do without the XM radio if I have to, and can begrudgingly do without DVD playback if I must, but the bluetooth, Nav traffic and iPod are must-haves.

Solution 2 costs less, and provides touch-screen function for navigation without requiring integration into your OEM Bose system.
Same question as above. This option also seems feasible if it can provide the added functionality I'm looking for.

Solution 3 is the least costly, but does not support touch-screen function (and instead uses a handheld RF remote). This solution is the most flexible because you can use any 7” LCD monitor (NTSC composite video or RGB). Composite video uses standard RCA connectors and RGB needs a VGA adapter available from Garmin.
I think I'll stay away from this, as I really want to avoid using remotes and like the idea of using touch-screen buttons, if at all possible.

Additional Note: Placing a 7” LCD screen is very easy to do in the early Z models (literally a “drop-in”), but requires some minor custom fabrication in later Zs (as your 2007). But, it’s a simple project that any experienced installer can handle readily.
Good to know, thanks for the heads up!

Once again, thanks for all your help with this. It's very much appreciated.

--Spike
Kelson
Old 04-01-2008, 04:47 PM
Spike100

^^ Solution 2 and Solution 3 provide navigation in the upper/forward cubby (where, as you point out, it should be for safe and easy viewing). These solutions are compatible with your Bose OEM system, but do not add anything other than great navigation with an optimum viewing angle. And repeating… Solution 2 provides touch-screen support for operation of your navigation, and Solution 3 does not have touch-screen support (using a handheld RF controller to operate your navigation).

Solution 1 is a sophisticated way to add anything A/V to an existing factory OEM system and still use the OEM device(s). Solution 1 costs more and may duplicate features you already have. If your factory CES provides everything you need, you do not need Solution 1. But, if your factory OEM system lacks a feature you need, the Kenwood KOS system (Solution 1) is your answer.

Hope this isn’t confusing.

--Spike
Old 04-02-2008, 12:58 AM
unpluggedk

Thanks Spike for a very informative advice,

I have one more question,
when u say "these solutions are compatible with oem system,"
does that mean that navigation sound(such as directions etc,) would be played on the speakers?
if so, do they simply cut the sound from the media to tell directions or play on top of alreay-playing media?

As for solution 3,
does the factory oem hu support mute to play sound from the garmin unit?
thanks again.

Last edited by unpluggedk; 04-02-2008 at 01:22 AM.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:34 PM
Spike100

^^ Kenwood navigation products (and for that matter, Garmin navigation which is the OEM supplier for Kenwood) support integration into your car’s CES. In other words, you can broadcast voice guidance sound/commands from your navigation device and hear this on your car’s speakers.

But, the solution is always specific to your car’s CES (lots of issues here, but there is always a solution). I’ve done this under the worst case scenario (systems that do not support this “on the surface”).

Post your current setup and question, and I (or someone who knows more) will provide the help you need to do this.

--Spike

EDIT: I didn’t answer your question. The answer is yes; you can connect the GPS device to your car’s CES, and mute the current sound (radio, CD, DVD) and broadcast the navigation device’s voice guidance onto the car’s speakers.

Last edited by Spike100; 04-02-2008 at 05:49 PM.