Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

350z Stock Speaker Location Fitment Guide

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 08:09 AM
35oZephyR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Drewthor
Jay just wanted to thank you for starting this thread and for posting all the awesome pictures in your other DIY audio install. Wanted to ask if folks are using any gasket tape with the 1 inch spacer or if that gets to close to the door panel? Thinking of going with the Pioneer TS-D1720C in the front and if the specs on the Pioneer website are correct it should be the same as the TS-D720C.
I have the TS-D720C mounted with a combination of the supplied plastic pioneer spacer (probably 1/2 inch) on top of a 1/2 mdf spacer. With the extra gaskets it was well over an inch with room to spare for the door card.

It's not necessary, but I used the sound deadener to seal any air that would leak between the door and spacers.

You should be fine with a 1 inch spacer and a couple layers of dynamat (or fav. sound deadener) as a gasket.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:29 AM
Peak350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 35oZephyR
You should be fine with a 1 inch spacer and a couple layers of dynamat (or fav. sound deadener) as a gasket.
Edead ftw man
Old 03-31-2009, 09:58 AM
35oZephyR

Originally Posted by Peak350
Edead ftw man
That's what i used on the door.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:24 PM
Drewthor

Thanks for the additional advice. Curious to know if everyone in this thread ran their front speaker wires through the molex plug or if anyone tried to use the small rubber plug a little down and to the rear of the place were the molex plug goes into the chassis. Was reading in another forum that it could be a bit safer (less chance of damaging the plug or the BCM) and less time consuming to use this alternative.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:50 PM
Peak350

I used the small rubber grommet. I had to drill a hole (partially just to make it easier, partially because I couldn't find a pass through) in the inside footwell panel to get the wire to where the grommet is. Used a zip tie to get the wire started through. I don't even notice the wire in my door jams. Its there...shrug.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:55 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

MB Quart ESA-216 - 1" spacer

Originally Posted by sintaxeror
I recommend doing away with the rear speakers completely... Get your front stage nice and you won't need them.
Or put in some midbass speakers and cut them off at 80hz.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:25 PM
sintaxeror

Originally Posted by Spork
MB Quart ESA-216 - 1" spacer
got it! Thanks
Old 04-07-2009, 08:23 AM
marin8n

Originally Posted by jmark
Anybody here use Mmats speakers? How do they rate? I know they make a 3 way & coaxial design 6.5" speaker.

http://www.mmatsproaudio.com/coaxials.html
I've never used any MMATS components, but I have had a Pro series sub and a Pro-Cast series sub and they are phenomenal. Lots of SPL trophies in that company's history and they are US based to boot. They are very hard to find depending on where you live, I would suggest going to their site and looking for a local dealer so you can hear them for yourself. But if they are anything like the quality of their subs, they should be awesome...
Old 04-07-2009, 08:25 AM
35oZephyR

Originally Posted by Drewthor
Thanks for the additional advice. Curious to know if everyone in this thread ran their front speaker wires through the molex plug or if anyone tried to use the small rubber plug a little down and to the rear of the place were the molex plug goes into the chassis. Was reading in another forum that it could be a bit safer (less chance of damaging the plug or the BCM) and less time consuming to use this alternative.
Used the small rubber plug with some silicon sealant. I don't think i'm losing any points at an audio car show anytime soon for exposing a speaker wire that is barely noticeable. No drilling...

Life is too short for the molex.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:25 PM
Drewthor

Thanks for the feedback on the front speaker wiring.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:45 PM
Project3fiftyZ

Has anyone had luck with the DLS MS6A components? I have been eyeing these for my upcoming audio build but this has thrown a flag Good information in this thread...hopefully everyone will keep updating it in the future
Old 04-08-2009, 04:53 AM
sintaxeror

Originally Posted by Project3fiftyZ
Has anyone had luck with the DLS MS6A components? I have been eyeing these for my upcoming audio build but this has thrown a flag Good information in this thread...hopefully everyone will keep updating it in the future
Trust me, I already went down that route... that is the reason I started this thread. I ended up having to go with the UP6.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:32 PM
sunburst350z

Bump , is this thread not stickied?

I was thinking of either getting some infinity components for the front but I actually wanted to get some kicker components and supplement the 6.5 mini woofer with kicker 6.5" CVT, the specs say they need 2 3/4 - 2 13/16 of clearence. I will be using an amp just for my speakers and another for my sub, does anyone know if im able to fit the CVT in the stock location with a spacer?????
Old 07-25-2009, 02:59 PM
sintaxeror

Bump.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:37 AM
Hostetler

bump
Old 10-30-2009, 07:33 AM
Nazar
Banned

This is a great thread, But I have to mention...

If you are trying to play all these speakers through the stock grilles, you are not doing yourself any favors... Stock grilles will only allow 40% off the sound through...

Please consider our DOOR PODS as an alternative install option. Not only it allows just about any speaker fitment, it also makes your speakers (any speakers) sound twice as good in the 350Z doors. Better imaging and Custom look.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:00 PM
pchio

Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts

Polk Audio MM 6501 (lightweight and compact, lighter than stock speakers)

- Fit without any spacers and will clear both side windows. (Tight fit but it will!)

- Installed using the brackets that comes with the speakers.

- One extra screw hole need to be drilled on each side ( 3 screw holes total), the other 2 fit perfectly
Old 01-03-2010, 05:30 PM
Kuhan

Originally Posted by Ricfutures
I plan on purchasing these the Diamond Audio S600S 6.5" and I see that they fit over gutted speakers. Can I just purchase a 1" spacer instead of gutting the stock speakers? I am concerned that I will lose sound quality by doing this and would like to keep the stock speakers in case I ever want to go back to stock.

Also, Kuhan, what amp are you using to run them?

Thanks
Sorry about this. I haven't checked this thread for a long time.

I have Alpine PDX 2.150 and PDX 1.600. And yes you can get get 1" spacer instead using stock speakers.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:24 AM
sintaxeror

Originally Posted by pchio
Polk Audio MM 6501 (lightweight and compact, lighter than stock speakers)

- Fit without any spacers and will clear both side windows. (Tight fit but it will!)

- Installed using the brackets that comes with the speakers.

- One extra screw hole need to be drilled on each side ( 3 screw holes total), the other 2 fit perfectly
Thanks! Added to the list.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:56 AM
Nipz

Is there any way to get better sound imaging while still using the stock grille?(aka without pods) I'm about to put some Focal 165VRs in my Z and i really would like to get them facing at an upwardsish angle instead of at the floor. I was thinking about trying a zenclosure type spacer but a little thicker mdf and angle one side a bit to get the speaker to aim up slightly. It works in my head but it would all depend on how much space i have between the speaker and the grille. Tilting the speaker slightly would make the front to back distance of the speaker greater so i would need enough space between the grille and the window essentially.

If i'm confusing anyone tell me and i'll draw a picture.

The other option which is slightly the same.. is to get some thicker uneven dowels and cut the ends at a small angle to create an angled seat for the speakers. (again, if confused i'll draw a picture)

The Focal 165VR is a 6.5" speaker with a installation diameter of 5.55" and a mounting depth of 2.20" if anyone is craftier than me and can figure this out.

Quick Reply: 350z Stock Speaker Location Fitment Guide