Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

stock subwoofer amp replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008 | 11:20 AM
aznriceball2

Default stock subwoofer amp replacement

Just searched through the whole audio and diy audio sections and coudln't find anything.

03 stock touring z with bose sound system.

Dealer told me that my sub amp is dead and needs to be replaced. I bought my own sub amp and asked them to put it in but they wanted to charge me 150 for it, and thats after they charged me 70 to tell me that the sub amp was dead.

Didn't want to pay that much so i decided to stick it in myself, problem is i don't know where the sub amp is looking for any help, if anyone knows how to access it or even where the hell that thing is that'd be great.

-Thanks
Old 04-17-2008 | 11:43 AM
sintaxeror

I don't have a bose.. but I believe the bose amp is near the spare tire... I'm sure someone will chime in that knows more.
Old 04-17-2008 | 12:38 PM
Spork

You know where the spare tire is? When you're at the back of the car looking forward, it's under the left side black styrofoam piece. You have to remove the rear plastic, and the side plastic to get the styrofoam out. The amp is secured down with 3x 10mm nuts.
Old 04-17-2008 | 04:11 PM
aznriceball2

thanks illt ry it
Old 04-17-2008 | 04:13 PM
aznriceball2

how do u remove the rear and side plastic?
Old 04-17-2008 | 08:05 PM
Spork

it's secured with one or two of those hook things.
Use a screwdriver to pull the things up and they lift out. Then, just yank on the panel, since the rest is held by the snap-in-hole connector type things.
Old 04-17-2008 | 08:26 PM
Ichigo

wait, your replacing the stock Bose amp with an aftermarket amp... Does the stock bose amplifier handle the front and rear speakers as well? What amplifier did you purchase? How many watts and channels?

Methinks you should do a lot more research. I've never worked with a bose setup in our Z's so I dont know, but it sounds way too easy to just replace the stock bose amp with an aftermarket one.

IMO this is going to cost more than you want to spend to fix properly. I would try to get a Bose amp from someone here on the forum thats already removed theirs in favor of a completely new system.

My appologies if you have already considered all of the above, but I would'nt want you to spend the dough and be disapointed with the result.
Old 04-17-2008 | 11:46 PM
aznriceball2

Originally Posted by Ichigo
wait, your replacing the stock Bose amp with an aftermarket amp... Does the stock bose amplifier handle the front and rear speakers as well? What amplifier did you purchase? How many watts and channels?

Methinks you should do a lot more research. I've never worked with a bose setup in our Z's so I dont know, but it sounds way too easy to just replace the stock bose amp with an aftermarket one.

IMO this is going to cost more than you want to spend to fix properly. I would try to get a Bose amp from someone here on the forum thats already removed theirs in favor of a completely new system.

My appologies if you have already considered all of the above, but I would'nt want you to spend the dough and be disapointed with the result.

yup bought a bose amp. sorry if that wasnt clear.
Old 04-18-2008 | 05:47 AM
IronYuppie

there were two amps for me in my 2003 bose, i think the subwoofer one was adjacent to the woofer itself(a small black box) while the speakers amp was in the back near the spare and it was silver.

if you need a bose sub amp i can sell it to you for cheap.
Old 04-18-2008 | 01:11 PM
aznriceball2

Originally Posted by IronYuppie
there were two amps for me in my 2003 bose, i think the subwoofer one was adjacent to the woofer itself(a small black box) while the speakers amp was in the back near the spare and it was silver.

if you need a bose sub amp i can sell it to you for cheap.

thanks but i bought the whole set off another member, speakers amps everything. Now im just looking to see how to access the amp, cant seem to get the plastic or the styrofoam off.
Old 04-19-2008 | 11:12 AM
aznriceball2

bumpy. If anyone can tell em where the clips are or tell me if theres a guide somehwere that shows me thatd be great.
Old 04-19-2008 | 11:07 PM
Pete's 03SVT

The stock subwoofer has it's own amp that is mounted right next to the stock woofer, towards the passenger seat. The amp in the back of the car runs all the other speakers.
Old 04-20-2008 | 10:28 AM
aznriceball2

but how do i get to it??
Old 04-21-2008 | 09:26 AM
Spork

Originally Posted by aznriceball2
but how do i get to it??
Remove the rear and left side trunk panel. Remove the clips that have loops on them with a screwdriver, there's slots to insert a screwdriver head. When those are removed, pull the panel off, it requires some force because of the clips, but just pull on it. Then lift the styrofoam sorta up and out. It uses a threaded bolt thing to hold it in place, just lift up to get over it.
Old 05-21-2008 | 11:05 PM
Akabir47

Originally Posted by aznriceball2
but how do i get to it??
+1
Old 06-15-2008 | 03:43 PM
aznriceball2

sorry i was asking how to get to the subwoofer amp. I'm guessing its behind the subwoofer so i tried to dig it all out.

Then i ran into these super bolt/screw things. What kind of godly instrument do i have to use to takes these out, i tried a screwdriver to no avail, and wrenches wont fit because of the way the sides turn up
Attached Thumbnails stock subwoofer amp replacement-img_0085.jpg   stock subwoofer amp replacement-img_0083.jpg   stock subwoofer amp replacement-img_0082.jpg   stock subwoofer amp replacement-img_0084.jpg  
Old 06-15-2008 | 11:50 PM
Pete's 03SVT

The godly insrument you need to remove the woofer is a 10mm socket . The amplifier for it is mounted just to the passenger side of the woofer with 2 more 10mm bolts that are visible from the front of the woofer mounting plate. You can reach through the woofer hole and remove the amp once you loosen the 2 bolts that hold it in place. It is a small (roughly 5" x 5" x 3") box with a black cover, has a plug with 7 wires, and has a "Bose" sticker on it.

Old 06-16-2008 | 07:39 AM
LBkr

Thanks for the great info and pics. My sub has started to go in and out lately and I'm gonna post a "wanted" for a sub amp later today. At least I know what I'm in for when I buy a used one to replace my failing sub amp.
Old 06-19-2008 | 11:46 PM
thaeviltwin

Hey i'm new to this form but i was wondering if i could just drop a 12 inch audioban sub where the oem bose sub is would it hit or should i just get a box for it
Old 06-20-2008 | 04:12 AM
Lsmith9523

Originally Posted by thaeviltwin
Hey i'm new to this form but i was wondering if i could just drop a 12 inch audioban sub where the oem bose sub is would it hit or should i just get a box for it
Welcome to the site.....I guess it would depend on what type kind of bass/sound you are looking for. The OEM bose sub is actually a 10 inch sub. Try the search button up top,,,and you will see many threads on this subject, different type of enclosures and different idea's. Maybe this will help you decide what route you might want to take or at least lead you in the right direction. Good luck and again Welcome!

Quick Reply: stock subwoofer amp replacement