Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

What type of GPS receivers and software is everyone using?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 06:16 PM
ZManInNY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What type of GPS receivers and software is everyone using?

I'm going to be putting a laptop in my car and most likely a Xenarc 7" TFT Touchscreen. Along with playing MP3's I would like to use GPS but am unsure of the best out there for the money. I really don't want spend more than $100 on the receiver/software package. I noticed that Delorme has a package for about $100 that comes with a USB receiver and Street Atlas USA. Some reviews have said that although it has voice directions, they are sometimes late and that also the graphics of this software really suck.

Any good economical suggestions??

Thanks!
Old 07-16-2003, 06:23 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Your price range would exclude probably one of the top products out there, the CoPilot 2003. This is the one I have. It runs $350.00
Old 07-16-2003, 10:42 PM
whatever
Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried the new delorme usb version. looks pretty good and the response have been pretty fast so far. I still have yet to get around to rip my interior apart to do the actual install, but just with the laptop in the car seems to work pretty good. Even more interesting is that I can even get satellite signals inside the house....

overall, I think this is even better then my bro's build in one on his bimmer..
Old 07-16-2003, 11:52 PM
AmyCroft

Default Hey Doc - Please Advise Xenarc VY

Originally posted by Dr Bonz
Your price range would exclude probably one of the top products out there, the CoPilot 2003. This is the one I have. It runs $350.00
I'm test benching a M10000 and use a Delorme USB Yellow Unit.

It fits well in the rear Strut Bar.

Now the screen, I gathered from reading previous posts that the Touch screen had a Glare problem... So looking for Xenarc 700VY

Vga - and two composite..

Most of the time people buy some product, and then in a short time find the same product for less...

What is the best price I may find this unit for.. On E-Bay I've bid upto $380 and have not matched the seller's minimum price.

Buy it now is 449, but If you know a lower price. Please advise.

Cheers Amy -
Old 07-17-2003, 03:45 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't help you there. My Xenarc was $550 and was the non-touch screen. I guess that's the price you pay for getting it fast!
Old 07-17-2003, 04:42 AM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

$399 for the YYV. Have to put it in your cart. Don't know about the non-touchscreen.
Old 07-17-2003, 06:38 AM
ZManInNY

As for the GPS, I've been digging and I think I'm gonna go with the Delorme for $100, which comes with that software. I also already have a copy of MS-Mappoint 2001 which is supposed to have really great detail, so I will try both.

As for the VGA screens, are you sure that DS700YYV is just as good as the Xenarc DS700TSV? $400 sounds like a great price for that if it's just as good.
Old 07-17-2003, 09:20 AM
chromesilverz

399 is a great price....looks like the same lcd screen and a different controller card....Xenarc has 3 inputs while this one has 2. Prolly works the same though.

My Xenarc has the one input that suppose to auto detect a signal and switch to the input (for backup camera).... I hooked it up to the tv tuner(when I turn my tuner on...it switches to the tv. Works great...only problem is that it doesn't save the setting after power off...so I'll have to put a switch or button to get to the menus.

The touchscreen can be taken off pretty easy when you remove the case (just in case you don't want it). I would test it with it on and off on a bright and shiny day before permanently mounting it. I love the T.S., but hate the glare.