Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Best Screen for Cubby

Quality what is the best?

I'm looking to buy a DNX8120.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:20 PM
ncparamedic
Prodigal Son

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont understand your question?? Are you getting a DNX 8120 or a DDX 812. An 8120 is an all in one system. Why would you need a second screen? Are you looking at going with the KOS system?
Old 07-03-2008, 01:03 AM
codek

Originally Posted by ncparamedic
I dont understand your question?? Are you getting a DNX 8120 or a DDX 812. An 8120 is an all in one system. Why would you need a second screen? Are you looking at going with the KOS system?
Here is a little background. I'm looking to get the DNX8120 but I wanted to put it in the cubby. Upon further research, I realized that most people put this in the original location and connect a 7" screen in the cubby. I rather have this in the cubby with a modified center console if at all possible keeping my alpine single din in there just for kicks.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:05 AM
bluezup

^hmm... if you did more research, you would see that a double din unit will not fit in the cubby. and absolutly no point getting a all in one unit modified into the cubby and still have another head unit.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:27 PM
codek

Originally Posted by bluezup
^hmm... if you did more research, you would see that a double din unit will not fit in the cubby. and absolutly no point getting a all in one unit modified into the cubby and still have another head unit.
not even with a modified center console pushed out
Old 07-03-2008, 03:52 PM
bluezup

well, if you use the word modified, then im sure anything can be done given to the right person. but seriously.. dont bother.
the top screen im using is the kenwood lz 702w. fits almost perfect in the stock cubby. and the bottom i went with something decent. kenwood ddx7019. with 2 screens, it wouldnt make sense getting a expensive all in one unit. the 7019 is pretty cheap in price but does the job well.

im using the top for navi and backup camera, while the bottom screen is to play movies,mp3,music vids while i drive. if you play a movie on the bottom screen then its harder for other people outside to see while you are driveing, which is what you want because its illegal to play something while you drive. and the top is my navi, which IS legal to use while you are driving. hope this helps.
oh yea, credits to THEDUKE who did all my installs and helping me with my ideals. also to Spike for helping me with ideals and the one responsible for getting me into blowing my money on dual lcd screens. gotta love it tho

Old 07-03-2008, 05:36 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

^^Thanks for the mention, but the credit goes to you for installing one of the best dual screen CES's I've seen here.

Kenwood provides excellent solutions that are a nearly perfect fit for the Z, and certainly THEDUKE is a great and helpful resource.

Your setup (installation) is the best visually because the navigation screen is positioned optimally, and your double-din LCD displays what it should for operational purposes and DVD viewing.

Great CES installation!

--Spike
Old 07-03-2008, 06:42 PM
bluezup

^thanks glad you like it. hearing it from you especially makes it worth it.

oh and i forgot to mention, you have to buy the 03 cubby in order for it to make it fit.
http://mynismo.com/products/?id=4445
you would have to buy both. iv seen somewhere before tho where someone installed the same unit in a 06 cubby, im not sure how that worked out tho, but to be safe and to save some trouble, you can order that part from nissan
Old 07-07-2008, 06:30 AM
k1653d

Very clean! I sometimes wish I would have went with something that would give me nav in the top.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:35 PM
Pete's 03SVT

I installed a Kenwood DNX7100 in my roomates Z, and a Kenwood LZ6500W 6.5" screen in the upper cubby to display movies and such while the nav is being used on the 7100. The Kenwood 6.5" fits far better than any other screen that I have put in the cubby, because the chassis is flat, the buttons can still be easily used and there are no lines of resolution that are covered up by the bezel, even without doing any cutting or trimming to anything. Most people that see it think it a stock part it fits so well. I have installed a couple Alpine 7" screens which don't fit nearly as good. A small bit of the screen is covered by the bezel unless you file the edges down a bit and the buttons along the bottom are difficult to reach as well as the writing for them are completely covered so you can't tell what button does what.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:59 PM
codek

Originally Posted by Pete's 03SVT
I installed a Kenwood DNX7100 in my roomates Z, and a Kenwood LZ6500W 6.5" screen in the upper cubby to display movies and such while the nav is being used on the 7100. The Kenwood 6.5" fits far better than any other screen that I have put in the cubby, because the chassis is flat, the buttons can still be easily used and there are no lines of resolution that are covered up by the bezel, even without doing any cutting or trimming to anything. Most people that see it think it a stock part it fits so well. I have installed a couple Alpine 7" screens which don't fit nearly as good. A small bit of the screen is covered by the bezel unless you file the edges down a bit and the buttons along the bottom are difficult to reach as well as the writing for them are completely covered so you can't tell what button does what.
I have a question for you, how are the movies being played?
Old 07-12-2008, 11:23 PM
Pete's 03SVT

Originally Posted by codek
I have a question for you, how are the movies being played?
The movies are played by using the DVD drive in the DNX-7100, and I ran a video cable from the AV out jacks on the deck to one of the AV inputs on the screen in the cubby. The deck has selectable sources for the AV output, so you will need to go into the menu system and select the DVD for the AV output. Is this what you were asking?