Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Where to install a screen?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 08:54 AM
NewOrleans350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to install a screen?

I am having my 2007 Touring Roadster delivered today and want to start doing some research. I plan on buying a double din size screen/head unit (not flip out) to install. Should I do it in the upper compartment where the factory navigation goes (I dont have the factory navigation, by the way), or should I put it in the lower spot where the current stereo is. I would like to be able to get navigation functionality also. Which is easier? Which would look better? I am no expert when it come to installing but I have some experience (did some head unit installation in my first car, then some custom installs on a 97 civic). Any opinions, suggestion, advice would be appreciated.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:16 AM
surfer05rdr

why dont you do both. Buy you a double din radio install it in the factory location then get you either a farenheit or a power acoustik pt700mhr and install it in the cubby. I think it makes a good combo
Old 01-15-2009, 09:19 AM
350z2go

i have this done i love it the top screen is a backup camera that stays on all the time
Old 01-15-2009, 09:35 AM
NewOrleans350z

May consider doing both.

If I only installed one screen, would it be able to give me audio access, navigation, and rear view camera capability? I would be able to install everything and just have some kind of way to switch from different inputs right?
Old 01-15-2009, 10:06 AM
Get_Zwole

Originally Posted by NewOrleans350z
May consider doing both.

If I only installed one screen, would it be able to give me audio access, navigation, and rear view camera capability? I would be able to install everything and just have some kind of way to switch from different inputs right?
It would have to be a double din with nav. etc. for it to work but yea thats what they are made for.

I see no point in installing it in the cubby what would you do with the stock radio just let it sit there? Just take the stock radio out put the double din in. If you wanna add another screen which i dont really see a point then do it.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:12 PM
JEKL

I have been told by many sources on here that a double din will not fit in the upper cubby. One guy said it could be done without any serious modification, but that is very much the minority of opinions.

Looks like putting a screen in the upper cubby might be the best option. You can use it and keep the factory HU (with something like the Kenwood KOS-V1000) or replace it with a single or double in the factory location.

Here are a couple of links just to get you started with some ideas. But dig around for more, there are a ton of people that really know their stuff in this forum.

https://my350z.com/forum/audio-build...ally-done.html

https://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-v...y-install.html
Old 01-15-2009, 03:34 PM
Get_Zwole

if hes buying a double din headunit like he said what would be the point in trying to keep the stock stereo or even putting it in the cubby for that matter? Thats what im wondering why?
Old 01-15-2009, 03:51 PM
z2g

I see you're from new orleans, check out the nolaaz z club members they have done it im sure and are a pretty tight group willing to help out

Last edited by z2g; 01-15-2009 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:38 AM
Fairly Z

Originally, I wanted to install a double DIN head unit in the place of the cubby instead of the OEM location. It'd work out better because it's closer to eye level and you also have the benefit of the factory head unit, with its clock and what not. So, I tried it, and I feel that it's only fair to warn you that it's a real pain in the ***. It may seem like cake, but getting a double DIN head unit in that location is more trouble than it's worth. The depth is too substantial, so you have to remove the LCD face and extend the ribbon cable connection to the actual unit, which you'll have to somehow stow somewhere else. It is, if I recall correctly, a 46 pin ribbon connection (for the AVIC-D3 I was trying it with), so you're not extending it yourself - you'd need to buy one. I found a computer parts shop that had them, but they weren't cheap. From that point, you need to modify the dash because the face is too tall to flush right in there. Altogether, having that Farenheit screen just for the purpose of external video source is a better idea. If you want to change the head unit, use the space provided. Save yourself the nightmare.

Although, Pioneer has recently released the AVIC-F500BT, which is a small screen with little to no depth. I hear it fits quite nicely into the pocket. Might want to check that out; it's got navigation and bluetooth.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:47 AM
Fairly Z

Here's the original thread I made about doing this.

https://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-v...er-pocket.html