Notices
Audio Builds Audio projects and builds from my350z members

Dual Screen Setup in 06: Finally Done!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 01:50 PM
Black Spider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual Screen Setup in 06: Finally Done!

Hey guys,

So I've been building this system for a few months now. I wanted to know exactly what I needed as well as get the right prices. I wanted to thank everyone on this forum who helped out, especially Spike100 who answered every question I asked in great detail. I should also mention that I did not do the labour myself but had it done by some great guys over at Unique Visions in Toronto. As I am in Canada, I did not include any costs as things are way more expensive here compared to the states.

On to the parts list:

Kenwood DDX812
KOS-L702
KOS-V500
KNA-G510
Metra Dash Kit
PAC ROEM-NIS2 (wiring kit)
CCD-2000 (camera)
KCA-iP300V (ipod cable)
PAC SWI-JACK (streering wheel controls)
2006 Motorized cubby
Short antenna
Viper 5900

On to the pics. You'll also notice I have the brushed aluminum overlay. There were some scratches I wanted to cover when I bought the car:

The outside:
Name:  DSC00573.jpg
Views: 758
Size:  86.2 KB

With the cubby closed:
Name:  DSC00575.jpg
Views: 911
Size:  57.5 KB

With the cubby open:
Name:  DSC00576.jpg
Views: 1738
Size:  52.0 KB

Name:  DSC00581.jpg
Views: 2054
Size:  38.9 KB

Night shots:

Name:  DSC00485.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  25.2 KB

Ipod and USB cables (located in the centre console box):
Name:  DSC00580.jpg
Views: 753
Size:  31.5 KB

The hardware:
Name:  DSC00586.jpg
Views: 769
Size:  49.6 KB

This can make the spare a little difficult to get to, but it can be done.

Hope you guys like what you see, and that more people with 06's try this.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:21 PM
Chi-TownWarrior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice
Old 10-13-2008, 02:47 PM
Done Deal DR

Looks good. Not to hate, but why didn't you put that Kenwood box in the free area behind the driver seat so it wasn't in the way like that? I just find it odd that an "installer" would install something like that.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:31 PM
Black Spider

That's actually where I asked them to put it but they said it wouldn't fit.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:59 PM
THEDUKE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

From what I can see, you only have the Navigation and back up camera hooked up to the top screen. If this is the case I believe you purchased products that were not necessary. All you had to purchase was the LZ702W screen with the Navigation and you would not need the KOSV500 which must have cost you at least another $400 dollars that you did not have to spend not including the labor to install this additional part.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:37 PM
Done Deal DR

Originally Posted by Black Spider

Not true in the slightest, I have an XM tuner in mine that would look to be about the same size as that and it takes up...1/15 of the space in there. Given all of your audio gear, I doubt you have a Bose sub, correct?
Old 10-13-2008, 05:59 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by THEDUKE
From what I can see, you only have the Navigation and back up camera hooked up to the top screen. If this is the case I believe you purchased products that were not necessary. All you had to purchase was the LZ702W screen with the Navigation and you would not need the KOSV500 which must have cost you at least another $400 dollars that you did not have to spend not including the labor to install this additional part.
I am a little surprised that you say this, but I'm looking at this from a different direction than what you suggest (“outside the box” so to speak).

Spider’s setup (using Kenwood’s KOS system) provides a great deal of flexibility for future expansion. If he had gone with what you suggest (”All you had to purchase was the LZ702W screen with the Navigation and you would not need the KOSV500 which must have cost you at least another $400 dollars that you did not have to spend not including the labor to install this additional part.”) all he has is navigation and rearview camera to the upper screen.

In fact, Spider’s setup is scalable and allows almost anything he might want to add for output to his upper screen. He wanted DVD output, and that requires adding a DVD player, or simply installing a Kenwood DDX812 to provide this function, which is what he did. His only redundancy is the radio. And, he now has a system that he can easily expand.

I really like the KOS Controller because once you have this installed, you have a great deal of flexibility when you want to expand your CES.

--Spike
Old 10-13-2008, 06:16 PM
sukebe

Hey Spike, not to de-value any of the great advice you give, but you seem to be a real proponent of the Kenwood line. Do you have any vested interest in Kenwood or are you just a really big fan?
Old 10-13-2008, 06:30 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by Done Deal DR
Looks good. Not to hate, but why didn't you put that Kenwood box in the free area behind the driver seat so it wasn't in the way like that? I just find it odd that an "installer" would install something like that.

Not true in the slightest, I have an XM tuner in mine that would look to be about the same size as that and it takes up...1/15 of the space in there. Given all of your audio gear, I doubt you have a Bose sub, correct?
Here is the pic showing what we are talking about.

This can make the spare a little difficult to get to, but it can be done.
Notice that Spider’s installer also placed the KNA-G510 Navigation box in the spare tire area (as you can see in the pic).

I’m guessing that the installer wanted to avoid disassembly of the console behind the driver/passenger seats. That saves time and $$ when doing the installation, but the best way to install these components is placing the KOS-V500 Controller in the large compartment behind the driver’s seat or the large glove-box behind the passenger, and the KNA-G510 Navigation box inside either of the small upper/rear cubbies (behind the driver or passenger seat).

--Spike
Old 10-13-2008, 06:56 PM
Black Spider

You're probably right, but I can only go by what the installers said. I'm not very technically inclined, and seeing as how the system is doing exactly what I want, I don't see a reason to do anything about it.

Originally Posted by Spike100
I really like the KOS Controller because once you have this installed, you have a great deal of flexibility when you want to expand your CES.
Hit the nail on the head.

Originally Posted by THEDUKE
I was actually able to get this for quite a good price. I bought the L702 and V500 for $325 off someone I knew. Used of course.

Last edited by Black Spider; 10-13-2008 at 07:00 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:14 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by sukebe
Hey Spike, not to de-value any of the great advice you give, but you seem to be a real proponent of the Kenwood line. Do you have any vested interest in Kenwood or are you just a really big fan?
I have no affiliation with Kenwood whatsoever. In fact, I have been offered some discounted hardware, but refused the deal. So… I’m still a virgin.

There are pieces from Kenwood that I really like, and other components I don’t recommend.

The KOS system is just great. It provides an inexpensive but fully scalable CES that costs far less than trying to match a complicated setup from various companies. If you install a KOS Controller and its LCD screen, you can control everything (including non-Kenwood devices) from a central touch-screen (KOS-L702). You can even use your own car’s OEM CES with the KOS system.

Kenwood’s LCD screens are just great. They provide a razor-sharp image that is viewable in direct sunlight. Kenwood’s LCDs that have touch-screen function work very well. Of course there are other very good touch-screens (Alpine being an example).

Navigation from Kenwood is the best. The navigation devices are solid state with no moving parts, very reliable, and lightning-fast. Kenwood’s OEM navigation supplier is Garmin, arguably the best application and device builder in the navigation industry.

Speakers and amps from Kenwood are, in my opinion, not the best you can buy. These components are not the company’s strength, and you can do better buying different products. I doubt I will get much argument on this point.

--Spike
Old 11-12-2008, 02:28 PM
ADMAN

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Yeah. Seems like a lot of extra work...

Old 11-12-2008, 03:15 PM
dkmesa350z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks nice. Could you post a picture of the ipod screen? Does the ipod interface allow you to select from album, artist, playlist, and genre to search or to you have to scan through each of those one at a time like my Kenwood?
Old 11-15-2008, 06:59 AM
ryanschram

what is the part # for the motorized cubby?
Old 11-18-2008, 08:08 AM
Black Spider

Originally Posted by dkmesa350z
Looks nice. Could you post a picture of the ipod screen? Does the ipod interface allow you to select from album, artist, playlist, and genre to search or to you have to scan through each of those one at a time like my Kenwood?
Not sure what you are asking here. When looking for songs, all of those criteria are available.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:09 AM
Black Spider

Originally Posted by ryanschram
what is the part # for the motorized cubby?
I actually bought it off another forum member, but I'll see if I can get it for you.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:19 AM
ryanschram

thanks