Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

What Head Unit should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 01:10 PM
NewOrleans350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Head Unit should I buy?

I tried to be as detailed as possible to help you all out, so bear with the length of the post.

OK, so I just got my 2007 Touring Roadster. It has the 7 speaker Bose system, no navigation/screen. I would like to buy a double din head unit to install in the factory radio location. I was considering doing it in the upper cubby, but think I will go with the lower spot. I am not looking for a flip out one; instead, I want one that can just be installed in the spot and stay there. I guess getting a flip out is a possibility, if there is a substantial price difference. Most of the ones that I have seen are pretty pricey, and have a lot of features that I really don't see myself needing. I do not plan on installing any big subs later on; if anything, I will only replace the factory sub behind the river's seat. I will probably upgrade the other 6 speakers just for a bit better sound quality, but nothing extreme.

My question is, what head unit should I buy, or what are a few head units that I should look at?

Hre are some details about what I am looking for:

- I do not plan on doing any type of gaming system (PS3, XBOX, etc)

- I think there is only one double din HU on the market with a detachable face (the JVC one?); this inst necessary, but if there are any others that are detachable, I would like to know because that one is pretty pricey

- I do not care if I can watch DVDs or not

- I would like a touchscreen, but it certainly is not a requirement

- I am not opposed to getting a 2-3 year old model, as long as it is not used; I do not need a 2009 model, but am not opposed to buying one. Most of the stuff on Crutchfield is the new stuff. Anywhere that sells new, older model equipment?

- I would like to use it mainly for navigation purposes, and for my radio controls

I figured a lot of people here know more about what is out now; I have had a pioneer single din unit installed in my old car for 7 years, and have not really been keeping up with all the new stuff that is on the market.

Last edited by NewOrleans350z; 01-16-2009 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:29 PM
Get_Zwole

heres a good start. tell us your budget. You can check out some of these and see the features etc. then tell us which ones you like and we can kinda guide you. The avic d3 is a great unit and can be had pretty cheap. Only drawback is when programing a destination you have to take out your cd and put in the navcd. There are many out there that work great, Its all in what you like really.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/viewc...s_per_page=100
Old 01-20-2009, 08:13 AM
NewOrleans350z

I dont really have a set price in mind. I just don't want to buy something with numerous features that I never use.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:26 AM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by NewOrleans350z
I dont really have a set price in mind. I just don't want to buy something with numerous features that I never use.
I tried to be as detailed as possible to help you all out, so bear with the length of the post.

OK, so I just got my 2007 Touring Roadster. It has the 7 speaker Bose system, no navigation/screen. I would like to buy a double din head unit to install in the factory radio location. I was considering doing it in the upper cubby, but think I will go with the lower spot. I am not looking for a flip out one; instead, I want one that can just be installed in the spot and stay there. I guess getting a flip out is a possibility, if there is a substantial price difference. Most of the ones that I have seen are pretty pricey, and have a lot of features that I really don't see myself needing. I do not plan on installing any big subs later on; if anything, I will only replace the factory sub behind the river's seat. I will probably upgrade the other 6 speakers just for a bit better sound quality, but nothing extreme.

My question is, what head unit should I buy, or what are a few head units that I should look at?

Hre are some details about what I am looking for:

- I do not plan on doing any type of gaming system (PS3, XBOX, etc)

- I think there is only one double din HU on the market with a detachable face (the JVC one?); this inst necessary, but if there are any others that are detachable, I would like to know because that one is pretty pricey

- I do not care if I can watch DVDs or not

- I would like a touchscreen, but it certainly is not a requirement

- I am not opposed to getting a 2-3 year old model, as long as it is not used; I do not need a 2009 model, but am not opposed to buying one. Most of the stuff on Crutchfield is the new stuff. Anywhere that sells new, older model equipment?

- I would like to use it mainly for navigation purposes, and for my radio controls

I figured a lot of people here know more about what is out now; I have had a pioneer single din unit installed in my old car for 7 years, and have not really been keeping up with all the new stuff that is on the market.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:42 AM
B5I8

Go with a Kenwood if you're looking for a head unit with great navigation. The Kenwood's are Garmin based and are very fast and easy to use. Your budget will dictate which model to get.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:49 AM
NewOrleans350z

What should I look for in a head unit to be able to use my ipod? Some say they are compatible, some come with a USB slot, etc. If my head unit has a USB slot, can I just plug my IPOD into that and have it run through the head unit? Will I be able to control the ipod through my head unit screen?

Also, if I do not buy a head unit that has navigation, what would I have to buy to add navigation to it?
Old 02-09-2009, 11:11 AM
NewOrleans350z

Any good ones out there in the $300-$500 range? Like I said, I dont want something super fancy with all sorts of features. Just the ability to play my music off of my ipod, and add navigation to it.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:14 AM
blasian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm still debating on when I'm gonna put mine up for sale.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:16 AM
seank426

I'm about to get a alpine 9887 to put in the stock radio spot and then have a Garmin StreetPilot 7200 installed in the cubby to fill it. I personally hate having that cubby w/o anything there.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:21 AM
NewOrleans350z

Originally Posted by blasian
I'm still debating on when I'm gonna put mine up for sale.
You're all over the forums huh, blasian??

What kind do you have? Even if you aren't selling it, do you like it? Any info will help my research.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:24 AM
blasian

You're all over the forums huh, blasian??

What kind do you have? Even if you aren't selling it, do you like it? Any info will help my research.
Yup, I'm a known post-*****

I have an Eclipse AVN-5495. New and used it's out of your posted price range though.

For 300-500, you should be able to find a HU with an ipod interface, although I'm not sure if you're referring to double DIN or single DIN. As far as navigation... Doubtful you'll find it built in.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:38 AM
NewOrleans350z

Yea, I just did a browse at crutchfield. Nothing worthwhile it seems for under $500. I am looking for double din.

Never had nav or ipod controls before so its somewhat new to me. If I just get a double din screen (not flip out) without navigation, what do I need to make sure it has so I can ADD navigation to it?

And also, how exactly do the head units work with the ipod? Do you just plug it in and control it from your ipod? Id like to be able to just tuck the ipod away in the cubby and control the music with the touchscreen.

Are there any units that I can just load MP3s onto? I dont really need an ipod.

Last edited by NewOrleans350z; 02-09-2009 at 11:40 AM.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:36 PM
blasian

Yea, I just did a browse at crutchfield. Nothing worthwhile it seems for under $500. I am looking for double din.

Never had nav or ipod controls before so its somewhat new to me. If I just get a double din screen (not flip out) without navigation, what do I need to make sure it has so I can ADD navigation to it?

And also, how exactly do the head units work with the ipod? Do you just plug it in and control it from your ipod? Id like to be able to just tuck the ipod away in the cubby and control the music with the touchscreen.

Are there any units that I can just load MP3s onto? I dont really need an ipod.
You typically need a special adapters for the iPods... but when you connect you should be able to use the HU to control it.

Kenwood has some HUs you can add nav too.

Some HUs you can use usb flash drives and some have built in hard drives like the one I have. 30gig drive, 20 for nav, 10 for music.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:46 PM
NewOrleans350z

I think my problem was I was using Crutchfield for my pricing comparisons. I started another post about Amazon, and realized that CF just knocks up the prices. I couldnt really justify spending over $600 bucks just to get a unit to give me navigation and play music. Found some on Amazon that are much cheaper and give me what I need.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:43 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

I think my problem was I was using Crutchfield for my pricing comparisons. I started another post about Amazon, and realized that CF just knocks up the prices. I couldnt really justify spending over $600 bucks just to get a unit to give me navigation and play music. Found some on Amazon that are much cheaper and give me what I need.
What did you decide upon?

BTW: Crutchfield does offer advantages (great support, favorable exchange program, etc.).

--Spike
Old 02-09-2009, 06:04 PM
NewOrleans350z

Originally Posted by Spike100
What did you decide upon?

BTW: Crutchfield does offer advantages (great support, favorable exchange program, etc.).

--Spike
Nothing yet, but I am finding alot of units on Amazon that will give me what I need, i.e. the Avic f900 vs the avic f700. F700 is a good deal cheaper, but basically the same thing.