Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

What alarm are you running!?!?!!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 01:59 AM
whitelightnin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking What alarm are you running!?!?!!?!?!?

Just got my Z last week. I live in the hood. I need an alarm.

Just curious to see what set up each of you are running? Are there any negative comments about a particular brand/unit? Are there any benefits to a particular unit that would't jump out at me while im doing my research,etc?

I definately need a pager, as my apt. is on the back side of my building so I cant hear/see car.. Has anyone found an alarm that the pager works consistently at 1/4mile or more?

Thanks for any input!

Rob
Old 01-28-2009, 04:16 AM
J350z101

post pics when you wake up in the morning.

Z's shouldnt be left alone @ they are like children... they wont be there long left by themselves -_-

i.e. my stock alarm is horrible.. i even opened the door.. shook the whole car.. still nothing.. I dont think it does anymore but just beep and flash lights... -_^

p.s. there is a viper alarm for sale in the audio/video if your interested
Old 01-28-2009, 04:36 AM
kham25

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Viper 5900 Remote Start 2 way Pager & LCD remote. Excellent Range BTW.. Over a year now no problems and 2 way pager works great. Great Alarm i m 100% happy with mine

Z 's are not like Children its just a ****ing car kid!!!!!!
Old 01-28-2009, 04:43 AM
Tac-M

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wuts the point? if they want it, they'll take it.... and if a crackhead smashes a window, you won’t make it in time anyway…

and having your harnesses cut up and all that “alarm chit “ tucked in under the dash is just nasty….
Old 01-28-2009, 06:12 AM
350z-Jason

honestly man, theres no point. i was in the same position as you. after i went to the alarm place and did my research.... it was a complete waste of money. if a pro wants to steal your car, its gone- end of story. just pay a higher insurance premium so your deductible will be lower if some dbag vandalized your z.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:22 AM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I have the clifford 50.7x, the equiv of the 5901 viper system etc, clifford/viper/python are all the same just different keyfobs.

it's great, the range is amazing, remote start is great right now since its usually 20-32 degrees in the morning, the pager is a nice piece of mind, it's a good deterrent etc. I was lucky enough to be referred to a local installer who did it as a side job, most shops will charge you out the *** in labor.

like they said though, if a 'pro' wants to steal your car, it's gone. insurance covers your car etc, but the 550$ is worth it to me.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:57 AM
idrmofs7

i have a springfield armory xdm .40 2 16rd magazines + 1 in the chamber!! any takers?
Old 01-28-2009, 08:00 AM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

thats what you bring with you to the car *after* your two way pager lets you know that it's been tampered with.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:51 AM
ZPHILE

Originally Posted by idrmofs7
i have a springfield armory xdm .40 2 16rd magazines + 1 in the chamber!! any takers?

TOO FUNNY! Just not sure that's a 'deterance' until someone gets popped! Maybe a sticker on the Z alluding to that fact would help!
Old 01-28-2009, 08:54 AM
idrmofs7

Originally Posted by Entaille
thats what you bring with you to the car *after* your two way pager lets you know that it's been tampered with.
my Z sleeps in a garage if not its always in view! and yes there will be a sticker on the car for deterance, and if they dont listen then i feel real bad for thier faimly!
Old 01-28-2009, 09:08 AM
dsmZ

So you wouldn't get an alarm on your house?? A pro could still get in...

If that's the case why even put a lock on the car door? A firewall on your computer!? A condom on your....

Bottom line is if someone wants to do ANYTHING now-a-days, they can. The point of the alarm, especially 2-way pagers, is to make the thief think twice about what they are going to do, and alert you when they ARE doing something. The OEM alarm doesnt do anything. If your alarm was going off in the parking lot 98% of people wouldnt even know it was their alarm because its 20 million cars with the same sound. The pager tells you its yours.

Ive been thinking about the zenesis as of lately, but seems no one has it. Search it in the vendor audio section or visit their website
Old 01-28-2009, 02:14 PM
Get_Zwole

no point i dont put alarms on anymore i just insure my car for that much more. My car is insured for just over 4k in extras now.
I had a two way pager on both my older trucks one was a 03 silv. ss with backup battery for siren etc. Remote never even went off got it stolen from my driveway. Same thing happened in highschool with my older 94 short wide chevy.
If a pro wants your car they will get it and probably wont even wake up your dog.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:58 PM
Tac-M

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dsmZ
yes, a pro can get in.... and it's up to you to take the first shot.

1 - do not use a phone line based alarm

2 - take a few minutes to plan your defense.

3 - a house alarm is also a fire alarm. plan for that as well.

cover YOUR *** !
Old 01-28-2009, 05:36 PM
JEKL

Originally Posted by dsmZ

If that's the case why even put a lock on the car door? A firewall on your computer!? A condom on your....
It's like pappy used to always say, "locks are to keep honest people out."
Old 01-28-2009, 06:57 PM
KPierson
Banned

Originally Posted by Tac-M

and having your harnesses cut up and all that “alarm chit “ tucked in under the dash is just nasty….
Who installed your alarm?

A professionally installed alarm won't have any cut wires (besides the starter kill) and won't be visible under the dash.

If more then the starter wire is cut and/or you can see the alarm under the dash you did NOT get a professional installation.

Car alarms are what they are - detterents. It's all about making your car less desirable then the car next to it. Follow a few good rules - don't put anything in your car that someone would want to steal (if you want nice stuff in your car leave the 'hood' first). Don't do anything to the car to make it stand out (wheels, body kits, dark tint, etc). Again, if you want these things consider moving to a nicer area first. Lastly, a blinky LED in the dash will make even the seasoned car thief look for an easier target.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:06 PM
whitelightnin

Well... thanks for the few relevant replies.

Car theft is pretty low around here, I just want the extra piece of mind.

I'm really just worried about a Crackie gettin curious and trying to get in to steal some CD's or some sh*t for a little bit of Rock.

I realize anything can be stolen, but a little extra someting to deterr them is worth the couple hundred bucks IMO.

Remote start is also something I could really use.

So.. Are all of the top end units from each manufacturer pretty similiar?

Rob
Old 01-28-2009, 10:14 PM
Get_Zwole

^ yeah i think presige, autopage and a couple others are actually basically the same thing just different stickers and remotes. Dont quote me on that though. You can get a basic two way remote, with remote start pretty cheap.

check this one out. Pretty good price and the seller offers a 3 year warranty. I havent personally bought from them but ive heard some pretty good things about them.
http://www.dealercostcaraudio.com/vi...sstvs5900.aspx

PS sorry for my not so relevent reply i got cought up in the other replies .
Old 01-29-2009, 12:27 AM
whitelightnin

Thanks Zwole.
Any other inputs out there?
Old 01-29-2009, 02:37 PM
gmic350z

recently put the viper 5901 in the z cause my car keeps getting hit at work,minor stuff but now i can get paged if anything happens and got the optional voice box for it.i think it pretty cool,talking car.so who ever keeps hitting my shiit,im watching!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-29-2009, 02:41 PM
gmic350z

i was trying to get the viper 7901 but i guess it doesnt come out till this month,i was looking around christmas time and saw it .its got sick *** color remote.if i did it over i would go that route,too late now

Quick Reply: What alarm are you running!?!?!!?!?!?