Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Feedback on Pioneer AVIC-Z3?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 10:59 AM
phatbuddha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feedback on Pioneer AVIC-Z3?

Anyone who is using this HU, any feedback would be appreciated. I'm stuck between deciding on this one, a Kenwood DNX8120 and an Alpine W505.

TIA
Old 02-25-2009, 12:42 PM
tsaville

I've got the Z2 and I really like it. You can do crazy things to them:

Check out www.avic411.com
Old 02-25-2009, 01:28 PM
phatbuddha

Originally Posted by tsaville
I've got the Z2 and I really like it. You can do crazy things to them:

Check out www.avic411.com
Hows the usability? Is the GPS accurate and truly usable? I've read a lot of reviews online and a lot of owners have knocked it because of poor routing.

Also, how is the SQ of this unit?
Old 02-25-2009, 03:13 PM
gsxrsellout

I have the Z2 also and it's basically the same minus the hard drive and I think the Z3 has an anti glare thing built into it.

But the maps are excellent as well as the XM traffic tuner if you choose to use it. The routing is very easy to change if you don't like how it routes you. You can also set your preferences on how it will map your route. It is in excellent setup. The SQ is really good, you can choose between I think 7 different preset equalizer setups plus make 2 custom ones. I don't know about the other models you're looking at but the Z2 is very user friendly and a good head unit.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:16 PM
Al Kapwned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Z2 as well, which is the same as the Z3 just with older maps. It's an awesome head unit. I love mine. You won't regret it.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:53 PM
tlohman81

I have a Z3 and I'm pretty happy with it. There's been a few occassions where the place I'm trying to find isn't in the address book, but I usually have the address handy just in case. Plug the address in and you're there no problem. Sound quality was about a million times better than the stock non-bose head unit, even with stock speakers.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:29 AM
phatbuddha

Originally Posted by tlohman81
I have a Z3 and I'm pretty happy with it. There's been a few occassions where the place I'm trying to find isn't in the address book, but I usually have the address handy just in case. Plug the address in and you're there no problem. Sound quality was about a million times better than the stock non-bose head unit, even with stock speakers.
How is the iPod integration? Is it fast? How usable is the nav? I read some online consumer reviews with complaints regarding poor routing.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:24 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

The Pioneer AVIC-Z3 is an excellent device with many well-implemented features. The LCD display is fantastic (great depth, color, and clarity).

You mention the fact that some reviewers are critical of the GPS routing. I agree with that. The application software isn’t always as responsive as you want, especially when selecting a detour “on the fly,” or when changing a destination (or even when selecting a destination). I don’t think it’s so much a problem with the map data base, but rather the application software that drives the GPS function.

If you compare the Pioneer GPS features to competing products, it sometimes comes up short. I think that what the reviewers are mentioning. For example: If you run a Pioneer GPS device in line with a Kenwood GPS (Kenwood’s OEM provider is Garmin), you see the difference. The Kenwood device is much faster with more features that provide a better interface for the user.

If you prefer a “Rand-McNally” like display with rich graphics, Pioneer is best choice for your GPS.

If you want better performance (faster redraws and very quick guidance), you will like the GPS devices from Kenwood.

--Spike
Old 02-26-2009, 07:02 PM
tlohman81

+1

I haven't used the Ipod integration reature at all. I have more than enough music stored internally on the hard drive.

Routing isn't bad. It's not the best, but it's ok. Like Spike was saying, the Kenwood units are way better navigation-wise. First, they have a Garmin GPS in them which, at least in the newer units, is using a flash-based GPS, which makes it a lot faster with routing, re-routing, etc.

If you're purchasing one strictly based off navigation specifications, I think you'll be happier with the Kenwood units. I chose the Z3 because I like the hard drive, the screen is a little bigger, and it might just be me, but I think they have a little better picture quality as well.