Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

plannin out my amp install

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 04:48 PM
quiksilverx181

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default plannin out my amp install

Hey guys, just got me a 2008 350z base, and I just recently installed my Pioneer AVH-P4100DVD headunit. I already installed 6.5" Alpine Type-R component speakers for the front doors, but now im going to run power wires for the amps. I will be running a Rockford Fosgate Punch 4002 (2 channel amp, 200w x2 @ 4ohm) for the front speakers and a Phoenix Gold x600.1 (2 ohm, 1 ohm and 4 ohm @ 600w RMS, mono) for the sub.

My question is, where are some good mounting locations for a sub amp? I plan on mounting the fosgate underneath the passenger seat, but I have some concerns about how easily im going to be able to reach underneath the seat to work on the amp.

I also dont know where i should mount the sub amp. Poeple have mounted sub amps in the glove box, but i live in Fresno during the summer where it reaches upwards of 115 degrees in the summer. Will the amp overheat in the glove box? I dont want my amp sitting in plain view, and i do require some usable trunk space. Just an FYI, i have a zenclosure under the strut box for a 10" Alpine type-r sub.

Suggestions?
Old 05-11-2009, 05:09 PM
dragonfire6

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ...

i have the zenclosure with the amp rack and i wish i had gotten the one you have... but even with tint, my amp really isn't that visible...

i would say back of your box...
Old 05-11-2009, 05:22 PM
Z1NONLY

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

You can hide an amp anywhere it will fit as long as you can move some air over the heat sinks. (Or, if the amp has built-in fans, make sure they have a place to draw air from and push it to.)

I think the stock sub location has room for an amp behind the plastic cover, and the cover seems like it could hold a couple fans. (although you need to make sure that area can draw air in from somewhere else, or set two fans up in a push-pull configuration. Maybe a divider of some sort to make sure the air moves along the heat sink surface area.)
Old 05-11-2009, 05:38 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Jeez… think about what you are saying. The car’s interior will heat to about the same temperatures in every place.

Placing your external amplifier under the driver’s or passenger’s seat won’t provide much advantage for heat shielding from ambient air temperatures, and in fact will result in a disadvantage in heat build-up since you are placing the amp in a tight area within an insulated-environment (the seat’s bottom).

Your best solution for heat dissipation is the large glove-box behind the passenger seat or the large compartment behind the driver’s seat. You create a rack there with separation and free air-flow to help cool your components.

--Spike
Old 05-11-2009, 06:33 PM
quiksilverx181

Originally Posted by Spike100
Jeez… think about what you are saying. The car’s interior will heat to about the same temperatures in every place.

Placing your external amplifier under the driver’s or passenger’s seat won’t provide much advantage for heat shielding from ambient air temperatures, and in fact will result in a disadvantage in heat build-up since you are placing the amp in a tight area within an insulated-environment (the seat’s bottom).

Your best solution for heat dissipation is the large glove-box behind the passenger seat or the large compartment behind the driver’s seat. You create a rack there with separation and free air-flow to help cool your components.

--Spike
No, i thought about what i was saying. Your missing what I am saying.
Consider this: Yes, a car's interior would theoretically have the same temperature when its parked outside. Except you fail to understand that even while under a passenger seat, it will still have access to enough open air. A car's interior is air conditioned, and that should cool most components inside a vehicle enough to be satisfactory. The part that i am concerned about with the two channel amp is physical space. I need to be able to get the amp under the seat without having bundles of wires running from the door sill, and to do that i will need to run the wires under the carpet. However, to do that i would probably need to take the seats off. Im trying to do it without removing the passenger seat. I have run the two channel amp under the seat in my last car, and it handled it like a champ.

Now, if i were to mount the subwoofer amp in the glove box, there is no moving air. The amp generates a lot of heat pushing my sub, and if the heat has no where to go, it will overheat. Now i realize that you pointed out putting fans in the glovebox, but I am not interested in putting the amp in the glove compartment because one, i use my glovebox, and two, i don't want to hook up fans to move air into a glove box. The reason i dont want to hook up fans to behind the driver seat is because not only do i not know how to wire fans into a vehicle (i imagine it would be similar to wiring computer fans, but it would require further investigation), installed fans would also bring little whining noises. I would probably find those noises annoying. Installing fans in an effective way isnt an area of expertise of mine. However, i do agree that this should be an option i should look into some more.

The back of the box suggestion isnt a terrible suggestion, but looking at my amp, i think it might be too big height wise to put on the back of the box. I will go outside in a bit and test the fit in that location.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited by quiksilverx181; 05-11-2009 at 06:35 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:12 PM
Spike100

^^ I've missed your points and really do not understand your objectives.

--Spike
Old 05-11-2009, 11:55 PM
orgasm_donor

4 bolts to remove the seat...whats the problem?

I think your amp will be fine in the cubby behind the seat unless you wrap it in an electric blanket. Lots of people experience heat issues in the warmest parts in the world and we don't hear of their complaints. Unless your amp is grotesquely inefficient or has no heat sinks, then I doubt heat will be an issue.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:12 AM
quiksilverx181

Ah ok, the seat isnt too hard to pull out then. I was just assuming that it was as hard to pull the seats out as my old car, which had airbags and random crap connected to it.

And my objectives:
-To keep my amps as invisible as possible
-Avoid modifications or complicated hiding spots
-Make sure that the amp wont overheat in whatever hiding spot i find it
Old 05-12-2009, 06:14 AM
RedLine 350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just find the stock bose sub to be the best location for the amp. I live at a hot and humid climate and had no issue of overheating. I am currently running a Memphis ST1000D at .5 ohms. Yes, still no shutdown or overheating. And yes, the amp is not .5 ohm stable, but is running like a champ.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:02 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by quiksilverx181
Ah ok, the seat isnt too hard to pull out then. I was just assuming that it was as hard to pull the seats out as my old car, which had airbags and random crap connected to it.

And my objectives:
-To keep my amps as invisible as possible
-Avoid modifications or complicated hiding spots
-Make sure that the amp wont overheat in whatever hiding spot i find it
Ok… I get it now. Here is my advice.

I put my external amp under the driver’s seat in my Jeep Commander. I did it this way because the space was large (there is a “roomy” space below the seat). The amp fits there, and there is no issue with overheating. It was about the only place to put the amp; and in the Jeep, it is a very good spot.

However, the Z is very different since the space below the driver’s seat or passenger’s seat is very small and tight (and, it’s a very-insulated position). This is not the best place for your external amp (that you need to keep cool).

The Z has two huge compartments behind the driver and passenger seats. These two large cubbies beg for installing CES components. Using these cubbies provides many advantages including adequate cooling space, simple wiring and access, and a stealth installation (if that is what you want).

--Spike
Old 05-13-2009, 02:34 AM
quiksilverx181

Originally Posted by Spike100
Ok… I get it now. Here is my advice.

I put my external amp under the driver’s seat in my Jeep Commander. I did it this way because the space was large (there is a “roomy” space below the seat). The amp fits there, and there is no issue with overheating. It was about the only place to put the amp; and in the Jeep, it is a very good spot.

However, the Z is very different since the space below the driver’s seat or passenger’s seat is very small and tight (and, it’s a very-insulated position). This is not the best place for your external amp (that you need to keep cool).

The Z has two huge compartments behind the driver and passenger seats. These two large cubbies beg for installing CES components. Using these cubbies provides many advantages including adequate cooling space, simple wiring and access, and a stealth installation (if that is what you want).

--Spike
Your right. Today i reached my hand into the glove box to see how hot it was after having the car sit in the sun for about 8 hours... it wasnt as warm as i thought. In fact, i might just end up doing it the way you suggested. Do you think its still necessary for active cooling, or should i be ok with passive cooling?
Old 05-13-2009, 05:37 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by quiksilverx181
Your right. Today i reached my hand into the glove box to see how hot it was after having the car sit in the sun for about 8 hours... it wasnt as warm as i thought. In fact, i might just end up doing it the way you suggested. Do you think its still necessary for active cooling, or should i be ok with passive cooling?
If you fabricate an amp rack with adequate clearance for air flow, you won't need a cooling fan. And, the Z's air-conditioner quickly cools the car's interior.

--Spike