Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Keeping the stock Bose head but.......

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 01:54 PM
ZS14RR

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Keeping the stock Bose head but.......

I plan on keeping the stock Bose head unit in my 03 Z.. I really do not want something flashy besides the fact of it getting possibly stolen.
I like the 6 disc changer too.
but I want to add subs and a amp...I already have a Zenclose under strut box with 2 JL 10s. I just need a 2 channel amp in which im still looking for.

So here is my question i want to keep the stock head unit but i want to add the amp and subs. then little by little change out all the speakers.
Went to a local shop and they wanted 165$ to run wires and a by-pass that they say is needed for the bose system.. but i am pretty sure i can do it myself. i am wodering what by-pass is needed in order to make it work and all the other extras...??
I just need some thumpin.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:08 PM
piyushh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can do it easily dude. Don't pay 165 for it thats outrageous. how about downloading a service manual for your z. and find color code of wires running back at the factory amp. get some rca converters and do it. ur definitely going to need a bypass.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:59 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Bose is a proprietary system using its own components. Mixing and matching non-Bose components (amps, speakers, etc.), isn’t simple and can be an exercise in frustration.

Reading your thread, I think your plan is adding quality components (SubW, amp, and speakers) to your OEM Bose system that is already in your car. That will require some minor rewiring ($160 is a very reasonable fee for this), but you are also faced with installing adapters. Best case is some “popping” sounds along with less than optimum sound you get with a full-replacement. Mixing good components with low-quality stuff is never a good idea, and that’s what you will be doing.

You mention: “I really do not want something flashy besides the fact of it getting possibly stolen.”

You can replace the H/U with something as simple as a single-din H/U using a Metra kit, and not attract any attention from an audio thief.

Here is a pic showing a very innocuous installation. It won't attract much attention and you get a shelf for additional stoarage.

If you are determined to keep the OEM Bose H/U, but want much better sound from your CES (specifically the radio), consider installing the Kenwood KOS system. This gives you a great radio, but still allows using your Bose CD changer.

Here is a thread about installing the Kenwood Kos system:

https://my350z.com/forum/audio-build...pics-here.html

Hope this helps,

--Spike
=============================

Originally Posted by ZS14
I plan on keeping the stock Bose head unit in my 03 Z.. I really do not want something flashy besides the fact of it getting possibly stolen.
I like the 6 disc changer too.
but I want to add subs and a amp...I already have a Zenclose under strut box with 2 JL 10s. I just need a 2 channel amp in which im still looking for.

So here is my question i want to keep the stock head unit but i want to add the amp and subs. then little by little change out all the speakers.
Went to a local shop and they wanted 165$ to run wires and a by-pass that they say is needed for the bose system.. but i am pretty sure i can do it myself. i am wodering what by-pass is needed in order to make it work and all the other extras...??
I just need some thumpin.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:08 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

search for PAC. I added the pac for my bose system and it adds 4 rca outputs. It has factory connectors so you don't have to cut wires. I run a 5 channel Kicker 700.5 amp off of it with Infinity 6.5 components up front and 6x9 coaxial in the rear. works great and sounds awsome. I had an audiobahn 10" sub powered in the trunk witha custom ported box but i took it out for weight savings.

here it is. Everything the factory radio does works fine. Nothing else is changed.

http://www.amazon.com/AAI-NIS2-Auxil.../dp/B00065L0C6
Old 07-08-2009, 06:05 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

^^ Your statement shows just how differently listeners perceive sound quality.

You apparently really like a PAC converter teamed with the Z’s OEM Bose H/U; and I think the sound is pretty bad when compared to what you hear when swapping the OEM Bose H/U for just about anything.

I suppose it depends upon the listener’s taste, the type of music, etc.

It’s no wonder there is so much discussion and arguing about the “best” speaker, SubW, amp, etc. It really comes down to personal taste.

--Spike
Old 07-08-2009, 06:47 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike100
^^ Your statement shows just how differently listeners perceive sound quality.

You apparently really like a PAC converter teamed with the Z’s OEM Bose H/U; and I think the sound is pretty bad when compared to what you hear when swapping the OEM Bose H/U for just about anything.

I suppose it depends upon the listener’s taste, the type of music, etc.

It’s no wonder there is so much discussion and arguing about the “best” speaker, SubW, amp, etc. It really comes down to personal taste.

--Spike

by any means did i mean it sounds better than a full system. By awsome i mean in comparison to the stock unit. There isn't any noise in the system and the clarity is much improved over stock. It doesn't even come close to touching my s10 show truck with a Nak-45z head unit (24bit DAC),focal components, and 31 band eq.

The original poster wanted a stock head unit. I gave him the info on the option available. I also wanted to keep my stock unit so i went that route. Mine was more cost effective. It costs around 200$ for the head unit plate and a/c controls to remove the factory head unit. That on top of the cost of a head unit wasn't worth it for me. I keep it off to listen to my supercharger most of the time anyways

also he stated "i just want some thumping". he's only adding subs and didn't mention changing the mids and highs

Last edited by binder; 07-08-2009 at 06:52 PM.