Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Sound deadening...Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 07:30 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by adamtaylorpcb
it can be, deadening your car should run you about 30-50% of your total audio upgrade budget to be done right

if it were me and money wasnt a thing i would do a layer of damplifier pro (2 layers in some places) followed by spectrum followed by luxury liner pro
Your reply confuses me…I may be missing your point

I would think a good sound-deadening project’s cost is independent of what you spend for your components. Why would you spend more for sound deadening whether you spend $20K or $10K on your components?

With this said… Thanks for the tip on additional liners. I think that is good advice.

--Spike
Old 07-20-2009, 07:50 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by jtabraham
I did the my entire cargo area about a year ago. Pulled out all the panels, and coated everything with a thick coat of eDead v3 (used a gallon total). Over the eDead, I used 3/8" neoprene (doubled up in certain areas like on the wheel wells). With that much thickness, it was tough to get some of my panels back in.

Above the floor board and below my carpet, I used two layers of carpet pad. I could not find a single carpet store that had any jute in stock, so I used the multi-colored foam stuff that you get at home depot for area rugs.

Maybe it's just my imagination, but I think that helped more than anything else.
I live in Minnesota and drive the Z all year. Our spring in Minnesota is very wet, summer is very humid, and winter has lots of snow (that seems to find its way into the cargo space when loading and unloading stuff).

I don’t disagree with your comments, but I wonder if installing jute-backed insulation would invite mold and retain moisture.

In fact, I swap out my floor mats and cargo mats between seasons to alleviate this problem.

I’m concerned about your advice since I think that would aggravate the “moisture problem” that exists in such a small compartment as the Z’s interior. Of course, my concern may have not valid foundation. I'm not sure.

Thank you for your comments and advice.

--Spike

Last edited by Spike100; 07-20-2009 at 07:53 PM. Reason: to add a thank you