Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Bose Issue is Resolved!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2003, 06:47 PM
Phat Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my amp replaced today and it has definitely improved the sound in the car. I would not say that the sound is crystal clear! However, I would still go and get the amp traded out because you will be happier with the sound.

Overall, I am still disappointed with the overall sound of the Bose system. I guess I will have to live with it and Bose will have to live without this customer for life!!!
Old 10-21-2003, 07:52 PM
z430hp

Default Changed my amp

I just had my amp changed today. I agree that it sounds much better than it used to. Much clearer. Definetly get this done if your not sure. I'll post more after listening to it a bit more. Had no time today.
Old 10-22-2003, 06:51 AM
DMONTE

How long has your weight been to get a replacement amp to the dealership? I called today the parts guy's told me about a week to get the amp in , I mentioned about the S. at the end of the model number but he said the ones he's been getting have not had an S. at the end.
Old 10-22-2003, 08:19 AM
Wedge

DMONTE.....Your wait should be a week at the maximum. My amp came in within four days of their ordering it. Don't know about the S you are talking about. Is this the amp you checked?

http://carstereohelp.com/stereoremov...0zBoseAmpR.htm
Old 10-22-2003, 09:19 AM
bz8

I got my amp replaced today, and to be honest I don't hear any difference .
Old 10-22-2003, 09:42 AM
DMONTE

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Wedge
Don't know about the S you are talking about. Is this the amp you checked?

Yes I had my original amp replaced about six months ago, this is going to be my second replacement.
Old 10-22-2003, 10:20 AM
doofy

Dropped the car off at service this morning since I had some time. I figured they can verify the bad amp than order the new one for me.

The audio guy was busy, so I left them the car to verify it. They call me around 1 and say everything is fixed. Cool. I wasn't expecting them to have the amp in stock.

So compared to the Bose in my old '00 Maxima and my '02 MDX, this one is definitely better than the Acura and maybe better than the Maxima (maybe cuz the sub is right behind my seat now )

Hope no one is still contemplating on whether or not to get the fix.

**btw, I didn't have no letter.**
Old 10-22-2003, 01:53 PM
frankmusic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink Friday is 'B' day!

I figured that I would give the Nissan Parts guys a call to ask them about the availability of the [2860-CE400] Bose replacement amp. After explaining the current Nissan/Bose issue to him, he then conducted a search. He got back on the phone and said that he only one in his parts bin. So, I have made an arrangement to bring my car in this Friday morning. Last evening, I proceeded to disassemble the rear cargo area myself. When the car is in their service area, all they will have to do is plug in the new one. Case Closed. I really don't want to leave any room for chance.

http://carstereohelp.com/stereoremo...50zBoseAmpR.htm

I'm not expecting anything too radical after this particular service. However, the recent assessments from other "Z" owners who had their amp replacements done - it at least seems to be encouraging at best. I will post my personal conclusions on Friday evening. Thanks to everyone for participating in this rather frustrating quest. It's finally good to see that some positive things are beginning to happen.

'03 350Z - Silverstone - Touring - 6spd MT
Side Air Bag Curtains
Chrome Front Grille
Nissan OEM Aero Package
350Z Grounding Kit
NISMO Oil Filler Cap
Aluminum Billet Dip Stick
Colgan Side Mirror Bras
Colgan 2 Piece Nose Bra (necessary)*
LED Amber Sidemarkers
LED Amber "Z" Fender Emblems
Courtesy Parts "Z" Wheel Locks
Courtesy Parts "Z" Valve Stem Caps
350Z Rear License Plate Frame
JDM Altezza Antenna - "Shorty"
Front Zee-Bracket License Plate Holder
Bose Stereo [with Amp sitting in the Parts Dept.]

Old 10-22-2003, 02:02 PM
samzg

For this amp replacement, is it only for the 2003 model? Do the 2004 model need it?
Old 10-22-2003, 02:07 PM
fernandito7

Do they have to disconnect the battery and open the hood? i ask this cause i have a CAI and do not want them to see it and void my warranty. Also this replacement will be free of charge right?
Old 10-22-2003, 02:19 PM
Wedge

No, they don't have to open the hood at all. Your CAI does not void any warranty unless they can PROVE that a problem you are having was caused by the CAI. This goes for any aftermarket add on you may choose to add to your car.
Old 10-22-2003, 02:25 PM
fernandito7

COOl thanks gonna go tomorrow for the bose fix.
Old 10-23-2003, 10:11 AM
fernandito7

Just came back from the dealer and they told me that my car had arleady had the amp replaced. THat mine is one of the older production models. Anyhow i told the technician that the volume suddenly decreases when i am driving and it goes back to normal when i reach lower speeds. We went out for a test drive and nothing happened. But the technician said that he was gonna take my word and order my a new head unit. Thats great news.
Old 10-23-2003, 12:00 PM
suehproM

Volume INCREASES or decreases with speed?

If INCREASES, then this is NOT great news. Your issue has nothing to do with the head unit. Replacing the head unit will not resolve this issue. This issue is related to the amplifier. This issue is not related to the head unit. You would not hear any improvement if you only replace the head unit.

Also, if your vehicle is indeed one of the "older" models, it almost certainly does not already have the newest level amp. You need to check the part number to make sure you have 28060-CE400. If not, you are eligible to receive it.

Clear?

Last edited by suehproM; 10-23-2003 at 12:06 PM.
Old 10-23-2003, 12:27 PM
DMONTE

I have my car just about a year now and I had my amp replaced under the first amp bulletin recall at least 6 or 7 months ago, this new amp is even an upgrade to that amp right
if someone knows please state so have the mechanic trying to tell me that my old replacement amp is good enough.
Old 10-23-2003, 12:38 PM
Wedge

DMONTE.........Your car is covered under TSB NTB03-086. This TSB covers Touring models produced prior to 9/28/02. This TSB supercedes (replaces) the TSB which you got your first amp replacement from.

As suehproM stated, if you do not have the model 28060-CE400, then you get another amp replacement. Don't let the dealer snow you. This new amp was not available prior to 10/01/03, so you could not possibly already have it.

Time for you to stand up for yourself with your dealer, don't let him send you home without an amp next time. You are entitled to the amp.......if he gives you any static, ask to use his phone and call Nissan Consumer Affairs at 1-800-NISSAN1 and tell the rep you are at the dealer who refuses to back a Nissan TSB. Then let the dealer talk to the rep while you are still in his office. Works every time.
Old 10-23-2003, 12:50 PM
DMONTE

Thanks wedge
they probably don't like going through the hassle of pulling everything in the back apart to get to it, but to bad.

Every time I go into have something fixed where they have to pull something apart when I go to pick the car up I always find the cheap plastic panels separated they are like a one-shot deals and they have to order the new panels to replace them it happened to my doors , back hatch, and when I had my seat track replaced I got back with bulging snapped side panels which they are also replacing when I go to get the amp put it.
Old 10-23-2003, 02:06 PM
frankmusic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dealer Servicemen R Not Einsteins

DMONTE,
Sorry to hear about the troubles that you have previously experienced with your local Nissan dealer service. As we have seen, valid complaining (certainly in numbers) can get the job done. You should ask a Nissan Rep. who they would actually recommend to perform such service. Receiving a specified service that does NOT meet your expectations, should be reflected in a phone call. Register that complaint! Make them do it right, if takes them a dozen times. Maybe they'll fire the gorilla who carried out the demolition, instead of making a sensible repair. These guys are supposed to be adequately trained to service specific Nissan Models. However, we all know that's a real pipedream. Many of us bring our 'pride and joy' autos back to the respective dealerships thinking that it simply MUST be in the hands of professionals. In reality, any given car service department may have just a handful on-staff experts. The dealership really couldn't afford to pay a full staff of experienced mechanics that use good judgment when, for example, are removing panels. The arbitrary yanking of panels usually results in much unfortunate breakage. This is the portion of the crew that could screw up an oil change. Their more proficient mechanics are usually tied up with the more complicated issues that are currently in their service area. My advice to you would be to learn a little more about your "Z". Purchasing the factory service manual will be a tremendous help when undertaking this particular exercise.

Then again, one shouldn't be too surprised after employing any and all presumed safeguards - some careless moron will find a way to demonstrate his lack of skill on a given vehicle. What one must do on these occasions - is pray it isn't yours.

http://carstereohelp.com/stereoremo...50zBoseAmpR.htm

Old 10-23-2003, 08:16 PM
Wedge

As I posted following my amp replacement, I had to redo all the panels myself when I got home. Thankfully, none of them were broken, just not installed properly.

They had the rubber gasket that surrounds the hatch under the plastic they had removed instead of over, and the black styrofoam piece that covers the amp was incorrectly installed. The spare tire was not put back correctly either.

A body shop man would do this job correctly. Unfortunately, mechanics do not usually work on body parts, either exterior or interior. Additionally, an item such as the amp replacement is assigned to the low man on the totem pole since it takes no diagnostic skills or mechanical ability to simply swap an amp.

If you follow the pictures in the link that frankmusic posted above, then you could remove the necessary pieces to expose the amp before you go to the dealership, then replace them when you get back home. The fact that you are working on your own car makes you be that much more careful and that much more concerned with getting all the parts back together correctly.

As I said, I had to take the whole thing apart and put it back together myself, so I know it can be done and it really isn't that hard to do.

Good Luck!
Old 10-24-2003, 03:35 AM
swoobyz

Originally posted by fernandito7
Just came back from the dealer and they told me that my car had arleady had the amp replaced. THat mine is one of the older production models. Anyhow i told the technician that the volume suddenly decreases when i am driving and it goes back to normal when i reach lower speeds. We went out for a test drive and nothing happened. But the technician said that he was gonna take my word and order my a new head unit. Thats great news.
Dude, you are getting double shafted here.
1) The two recent TSBs (NTB03-86 and NTB03-87) cover ALL 2003 350Zs. There are no "older production models" that are excluded from this.
2) The head unit has NOTHING to do with the "AudioPilot" problem that you are experiencing. The AudioPilot problem is 100% related to the amp that is in your trunk-space. There is a microphone under the steering column that runs back to your amp, and that is where the problem is. Do NOT have your dealer waste your time or his by replacing your head unit.

DAMN, I *HATE* stupid dealerships!

FYI: I have *NOT* gotten the TSB fix for my Z yet. I know I don't have to, but I am waiting for the official letter from Nissan so that I can present it to the dealer.

Pv

Quick Reply: Bose Issue is Resolved!