Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Bose Issue is Resolved!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 06:36 PM
SungNamZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Complain about the CD's player and your dealer should replace it, no question asked! Mine started showing "Check Disc", wouldn't play, so dealer said "We replace, don't repair"! Assuming he doesn't have one on the shelf, took a weeks to get one from Bose. You could be looking at getting "new" head unit + amp.
Old 10-15-2003, 06:44 PM
qirex

I got the fix today.

I called two weeks ago to have the amp oerdered- they dropped the ball.
No service advisers seem to kjnow about ANY tsvs at mossy nissan KM.
Finally, i called onday and got a guy named David "Z" who immediately told me that he had two amps sitting in his parts bin and that I could have one.

He mentioned they'd been sitting around for a "couple of months" so I was worried they were the CD400 series. He confirmed they were CE400s and thats what my reciept says.

Initial imprssions...more clarity, more bass - nothing like two12" subs....but still more.

Final verdict pending, but I was never expecting the bose to sound like $1k worth of aftermarket equipment.
Old 10-16-2003, 06:15 AM
Wedge

Amy and others..............I would not wait for the letter. Just make arrangements with your dealer now. The letter itself is not required to get the fix. The letter is more or less to inform people that the fix is out there.........you already know about it, so why wait?

Now go get that amp!
Old 10-16-2003, 06:36 AM
ZOwl

I got mine fixed yesterday. My impressions after 24 hours are that it is a very positive fix. There is definately more clarity and I would say this is a stereo that I can live with finally.

Obviously nowhere near the quality of aftermarket gear, but this is acceptable for my low-end needs. I can turn the volume all the way up to 31 now and it still sounds reasonable. Not bad.

"But these go to 31..."
Old 10-16-2003, 06:41 AM
BlueDragonZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by ZOwl
I got mine fixed yesterday. My impressions after 24 hours are that it is a very positive fix. There is definately more clarity and I would say this is a stereo that I can live with finally.

Obviously nowhere near the quality of aftermarket gear, but this is acceptable for my low-end needs. I can turn the volume all the way up to 31 now and it still sounds reasonable. Not bad.

"But these go to 31..."
WOW, 31? That's pretty loud. When I first got my Z I was listening to a comfortable 10-15 but now I'm all the way up to 20 and it sounds horrible.
Old 10-16-2003, 06:52 AM
Wedge

I agree that 31 would probably blow me right out the door. I think the fix is sounding better to me now that I have had it for a week or so. Some songs sound downright good!

I had the car in the garage after getting the fix and had my wife get in to listen to the change. She was in the car, doors closed...........I was standing outside the car. I swear I could hear the music just as well outside the car as inside. I have never had a car that didn't insulate the sound at all. I guess I better not pull up beside a church bus while the Pulp Fiction CD is playing.

Have any of you noticed this?
Old 10-16-2003, 07:09 AM
BlueDragonZ

Originally posted by Wedge
I agree that 31 would probably blow me right out the door. I think the fix is sounding better to me now that I have had it for a week or so. Some songs sound downright good!

I had the car in the garage after getting the fix and had my wife get in to listen to the change. She was in the car, doors closed...........I was standing outside the car. I swear I could hear the music just as well outside the car as inside. I have never had a car that didn't insulate the sound at all. I guess I better not pull up beside a church bus while the Pulp Fiction CD is playing.

Have any of you noticed this?
If this is the case then I can't wait to get mine taken care of.
Old 10-16-2003, 11:43 AM
frankmusic

Talking FYI!

**Nissan Announces Mid-Year Financial Results**

Nissan Motor Company today announced that it expects to report an industry-leading 11.3% operating profit margin for the first half of fiscal year 2003 and a 15.2% increase in operating profits to $3.40 billion. (that's billion) For complete details, please log on to http://www.nissannews.com.

btw: Don't forget to BUG your local Nissan dealer for that Bose Amp Swap - Tell 'em you'd like that service performed ASAP!

Old 10-16-2003, 12:07 PM
Wedge

I am glad to hear Nissan is doing well. They almost went under not that long ago.

frankmusic.........did you get the new amp yet? If so, how do you like it?
Old 10-16-2003, 01:26 PM
SungNamZ

Default Re: FYI!

Originally posted by frankmusic
**Nissan Announces Mid-Year Financial Results**

Nissan Motor Company today announced that it expects to report an industry-leading 11.3% operating profit margin for the first half of fiscal year 2003 and a 15.2% increase in operating profits to $3.40 billion. (that's billion) For complete details, please log on to http://www.nissannews.com.

btw: Don't forget to BUG your local Nissan dealer for that Bose Amp Swap - Tell 'em you'd like that service performed ASAP!

Visited Reliable Nissan today. Front OEM replacement tires arrived yesterday. Part to perform window "Grease" TSB are in and were awaiting for tires to arrive. TSB replacement Amp ordered today. With a little luck, assuming Amp is in by 10/24/2003 all fixes done.

Forgot one: Left side trim on inside of "hatch" is warped. On order. To be replaced under warranty.
Old 10-16-2003, 01:43 PM
frankmusic

Default Gonna Grab one (amp) for the Road.

Wedge,

Thanks for asking. And thanks to y'all for helping to make this amp replacement event a reality. With everybody pitching employing calls, email and the general all American RANT- well, it seems to have been quite effective. WOW!!!

No, I have not made that long anticipated appointment yet. I would like to know if/when there will be one sitting on their parts shelf with my name on it. If they tell me that one will be available to me - I plan to remove the necessary panels, etc myself. This precautionary measure will provide me with a little more assurance that the won't #$%# up the service. As you might have guessed, I don't have a whole lot of faith in the individuals who will be tasked with this replacement venture. I want to remove as much doubt as I can - along with the rear panels, so to speak. I will provide all who are interested with my personal review of the results. I'm kind of motivated with the recent positive responses towards the amp swap. I know I'm going to hear it like the after market systems I have in my other vehicles - BUT - it definitely appears to be a welcomed improvement. I'll certainly take that!

I believe that (1) - Nissan had to show some type of customer response due to the unprecedented "Z" sales. ...and the overwhelming disappointment with the Bose Audio System. Nissan wants to go forward - NOT backward. They are obviously on the right track being in the 'black' - Thanks in part to the many new and past loyal "Z" fans.
(2) - Although Bose will probably endure a bit more name calling in the months to come, this should be a corporate wake up call for them. Perhaps this will end up be a good thing for all concerned. We'll see.

Now, I plan on making that phone call to my Nissan Service Center! I've got my fingers crossed. Yup!

'03 350Z - Silverstone - Touring - 6spd MT
Side Air Bag Curtains
Charcoal Leather Interior
350Z Seatback Organizer
Chrome Front Grille
Nissan OEM Aero Package
Front Zee-Bracket License Plate Holder
350Z Grounding Kit
NISMO Oil Filler Cap
Aluminum Billet Dip Stick
Colgan Side Mirror Bras
Colgan 2 Piece Nose Bra (necessary)*
LED Amber Sidemarkers
Courtesy Parts "Z" Emblems
LED Amber "Z" Fender Emblems
Courtesy Parts "Z" Wheel Locks
Courtesy Parts "Z" Valve Stem Caps
350Z Rear License Plate Frame
JDM Altezza Antenna - "Shorty"
Bose System with Old Amp *(TBD)
Old 10-16-2003, 05:33 PM
frankmusic

Exclamation A typing correction - oops!

.....Sorry for my typing faux pas - after perusing my last installment.....my text should have read like the following.

I'm kind of motivated by the recent positive responses towards the amp swap. I know that I'm NOT going to hear 'it' like the after market systems I have in my other vehicles - BUT - it definitely appears to be a welcomed improvement. I'll certainly take that!

Old 10-16-2003, 05:41 PM
AmyCroft

Default DAT 28060-CE400 Amplifier

All:
Done, the Amp came in and we rushed around to have it installed today.
Part Number
28060-CE400

I'm not a real audio expert, from years around artilery, but even I noticed the difference.
The "S" sluring is gone from Vocals. Bose 10 inch is now working. I set BASS to Zero setting to reduce "thump".
You all were right.

Thanks again

Cheers Amy -

Originally posted by Wedge
Amy and others..............I would not wait for the letter. Just make arrangements with your dealer now. The letter itself is not required to get the fix. The letter is more or less to inform people that the fix is out there.........you already know about it, so why wait?
Now go get that amp!
Old 10-16-2003, 07:44 PM
qirex

yay for all the guys that got the fix rolling!

After more listening I have to say WOW!!
it sounds really good now. BAss is more defined, and yes 31 yeilds crystal clear sound.

I have a live grateful dead recording of "me and bobby mcgee" that sounded really flat before - really muddy and NO bass. I attributed it to the recording itself. Hopwever, after the CE400 fix, you can hear phil lesh belting out his bass licks really deep vibrant bass, NO hiss or muddiness at all - evenat 31.

House music and raps always sounded decent before but now, its even better.

I score the system a 7/10 now - before was a 4.5/10.

I'm really happy b/c I love the stock look and wasnt ever really going to go aftermarket. I dare say it sounds as good as the bose in my fx35. Now, I have no reason to drive the fx!
Old 10-17-2003, 08:27 PM
Mikela1

Wedge
Got down to the dealer today and have the 086 and 087 in my hands. I'm tight with a mechanic at the dealership from my 300ZX twin turbo days, so we got right to it. My car was built 10/02 so that put us on 087. After taking the trunk apart to get at the amp, found it was NOT 28060-CE400. We got the new amp ordered as per page 9. We'll see how it all works out when it comes in. I started looking at the Vin# this evening. Can't quite follow the system in the numbering. I think I fall into the 2nd. set of vins. not sure though. I am good through the first 8 numbers and I think I am OK on the last 6 numbers. Where they go from 63T to 33T, I am at 03T. Can't sort this out. Anyway the amp is ordered.
Got to THANK all of you for this great research on this problem. I got my car with 3100 miles on it. LOVE IT.... When I first tried the radio I couldn't really hear or feel anything from the sub...got the book out to see how you could get it turned on...no luck there. Right at that point I thought, this is just a basic radio...nothing special...sure as hell not high-end. Then I got on the net and the rest is history.
Sidenote:
I have no letter yet, as I am the second owner. When talking with the dealer I mentioned the fact I was a second owner and as per this web sight, folks were getting it done without the letter-in-hand.
Thanks to this web sight, and all you folks, I was the first in my dealership to come in the shop on this problem. They really weren't aware of the sound problem nor TSBs on it. Got with my mechanic buddy right in his bay on his computer and opened this web sight and came to these pages. He put it in his favorites. Parts folks did the same. They all thought it would be great background for future folks coming in on this. My buddy said it was good to find this place for his knowledge of the car and problems out there. Said he didn't have the time to sort this type of stuff out on the web nor a clue where to look. Understand-it, they do cars. Have to say though, they are the best with 300ZX and 350Z. Know this from years working with these people in this dealership. In a word, THEY ARE AWESOME!!!
I'll have more on this when I get it done. I'LL BE BACK!!!
AGAIN THANX Mike La
PS: Don't know how I happened to get a RED 350Z icon on the post, I own a silver 350Z.
PS#2: WEDGE
Talk to me about the JWT Pop Charger & Boria True Dual Exhaust. What they bring to the car, price, web-sights and the like. One last thing, has anyone run across a set of plate frames in brushed silver or pewter with 350Z imbossed in the silver or pewter?

Last edited by Mikela1; 10-18-2003 at 03:02 AM.
Old 10-18-2003, 06:35 PM
MacGuru

3rd time is a charm...

Well boys, I had my dealer make the recent Bose TSB amp replacement. First I must say that I'm FINALLY HAPPY! The bass and treble have depth and the audio pilot works with subtlety. I’m no audiophile by any means, but I am pleased with the results of the last TSB.

I highly recommend this fix to anyone experiencing the Bose problems. Thanks Nissan.
Cheers. -m
Old 10-18-2003, 11:57 PM
samzg

For this amp replacement, is it only for the 2003 model? Do the 2004 model need it? So after the replacement of the amp, the Bose system sounds alot better huh?
Old 10-19-2003, 01:27 AM
bz8

I'm sorry guys, but this thread is really long and I'm lazy to read all the post. Read some, and some had received their letters for the amp fix, how do I get the letter or when? Thanks and sorry for being lazy not reading all the post.
Old 10-19-2003, 06:02 AM
FLY BY Z

You don't need the letter to have the work done.
Old 10-21-2003, 05:42 PM
DMONTE

Anybody else get the latest amplifier switch out, I would like to hear some more opinions.

Quick Reply: Bose Issue is Resolved!