Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Bose Issue is Resolved!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2003, 05:44 AM
frankmusic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Get Your 28060-CE400 Installed!

Well as promised, I will give my assessment of the Bose amp swap. My "Z" FINALLY has the Bose replacement which was installed today 10/24/03. For those who are eligible for the 28060-CE400 amp, make your appointment soon. You'll find that it is a welcomed adjustment to your current OEM impotent audio system. I suggest that you call the parts department prior to arranging any service. Have their parts guy check his bin by reading off the appropriate amp number to him. He may in fact have to order this item. It appears that this amp swap is clandestine affair. Those who frequently visit this forum are reasonably aware that a replacement for the original toy amp does exist. However, many of the dealerships are not - or - they are playing that 'selectively dumb' game.
After, being assured that the correct amp is available to you, on the day of your service have an overview of this amp swap process printed out and ready in your hand. You may want to copy and print some of the pertinent information right from the forum. I recommend this because I had to re-explain the situation to service rep at the counter when I arrived. I showed him (on paper) everything he need to know regarding this swap. Once again, either he was employing the 'selectively clueless' act or was honestly unaware. I also informed him that I had already disassembled the hatch area. With that revelation, the service guy claimed he was obligated to include a statement on my service receipt that said: "Customer has presented car with plastic panels removed from rear cargo area" He said this was necessary if a customer does his own work. He explained that he did not want to report back to Nissan that it was their fault if any of the panels were damaged. (I'm sure they have had to fess up to those self imposed dilemmas in the past.)

All in all, the trip was indeed worth it. You will notice a difference for sure. This is how the 350 Z audio system should have sounded when you first accepted delivery. Some may still have the need to tweak the audio a bit (like myself) - but this replacement makes listening a pleasure with the likes of which MY Z has not experienced. To wrap this up, I'll simply say - get this swap done. You'll be glad that you did.

I'm very glad to see/hear this issue being addressed. This can only be the results of the efforts of those individuals who chose to be pro-active in this whole affair. To those persistent dudes, we all owe a great debt of gratitude. Thanks folks - now let's get a couple of cold ones.

Old 10-24-2003, 06:33 AM
bimmersandZs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many thanks for the post. When was your Z produced?
Old 10-24-2003, 06:37 AM
doofy

Originally posted by swoobyz
Dude, you are getting double shafted here.
... Do NOT have your dealer waste your time or his by replacing your head unit.
Actually, the dealer wouldn't be wasting his time. Someone posted that they don't get paid much for the amp replacement. So if they go through other steps that they know WON'T fix the problem, than they can ideally get paid more for warranty work. Right? They couldn't care less about wasting our times.
Old 10-24-2003, 07:33 AM
Wedge

frankmusic............I am very glad to hear you are pleased with the amp replacement.........My work here is done......lol

Happy tunes to you!
Old 10-24-2003, 09:07 AM
frankmusic

Default Happy Trails to "Z"!

bimmersandZs,

My "Z" was produced in 05/03. A while back I had read something about the early Zs and a problem their owners were experiencing with over boosted bass. So, at the time of delivery I had asked my salesman if that problem still existed. Well, I must chuckle about that question and the answer I received from him now. This car came with a verbal guarantee from the salesman, who said to me, "If you have any concerns about the Bose System in this car producing too much bass......not to worry. That problem has been eliminated."

Well, .......he was right. [well...........sort of]
Unfortunately, we all know now that it was the BASS that was eliminated.

Hey Wedge,

..................................Nice Job!

'03 350Z - Silverstone - Touring - 6spd MT
Build Date: 05/03
Side Air Bag Curtains
Chrome Front Grille
Nissan OEM Aero Package
350Z Grounding Kit
NISMO Oil Filler Cap
Aluminum Billet Dip Stick
Colgan Side Mirror Bras
Colgan 2 Piece Nose Bra (necessary)*
LED Amber Sidemarkers
LED Amber "Z" Fender Emblems
Courtesy Parts "Z" Wheel Locks
Courtesy Parts "Z" Valve Stem Caps
350Z Rear License Plate Frame
JDM Altezza Antenna - "Shorty"
Front Zee-Bracket License Plate Holder
Bose Stereo with 28060-CE400 Amp!!!

Old 10-24-2003, 11:06 PM
Pooh2002
Charter Member #30

Still no letter from Nissan informing me of the Bose TSB. Also no response to my email to NNA. They don't seem very serious about this.
Old 10-25-2003, 05:32 AM
frankmusic

Wink Forget about receiving an letter!

Pooh2002,

Don't wait for a letter from Nissan or Bose for that matter. It's obvious that this issue is being handled very quietly. Your particular dealer may not even know what you're talking about when you make an appointment for this swap.

Just call your parts guy and ask him to order the amp for you.
2860-CE400
If he already has one - get down there ASAP. If you feel ambitious, remove the panels yourself the night before. [or risk the potential for having a less than satisfying outcome]

Print out this information below and present this to your service guy when you get there if he still remains [selectively] clueless.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

2003 NISSAN:

"Customer Satisfaction Initiative"

TSB NTB 03-087 - - - (Classification code EL-03-034)

This TSB addresses the "lack of clarity" in all BOSE systems installed
in the current ‘Touring’ package of the Nissan 350Z. The 350Z Touring vehicles affected with this problem were produced between the following months - September/28/2002 and June/2003.

The service fix for BOTH issues is to check to see the current model number of the factory installed BOSE amp in the Nissan 350Z vehicle.

If the amp in your 350Z is NOT model following model number:

2860-CE400 = *is the replacement amp number

then the OEM BOSE part will be replaced with the 2860-CE400 amp.
(Classification code EL-03-034)

Old 10-27-2003, 04:34 PM
julwal

Thumbs up crisp sound at last

Just got the Bose amp fix today!!!- ( 2860-CE400 = *is the replacement amp number ) ....

What an improvement in sound quality!!.....the new amp replacement is definately worth it!..
I think the CD mode is where the most improvement is with very crisp tones, and good punch bass!.
I can turn the volume past 25 and there is no distortion- clear as a bell!.

The radio is much improved with a clearer sound.

It is like having a new sound system.

Also got 2 new Reo40,s on the front, and all four wheels aligned ( got the compression rod added a few weeks prior)....
Solid as a rock-nice new expensive tires...fingerscrossed for the next 10,000 miles ...( 10,900 current mileage).
Hopefully no more feathering.
Old 10-27-2003, 08:00 PM
Dissolved

I took my car in for volume fluctuating and the girl ordered a part. She didnt say which. This was in mid September. I havent gotten the stereo fixed yet, but can I assume the part she has is NOT the correct fix? Going to wait for the letter..
Old 10-27-2003, 08:25 PM
Wedge

Pure Tremble..........

It was probably not the new amp if she ordered it in September. You don't really have to wait for the letter.

Just get the part number of the new amp and the TSB number that applies to your vehicle based on date of manufacture, and call your dealership and tell them what you want. Ask them when the amp will arrive (they may even have one in stock) and make an appointment.

Here is a copy and paste of all the information you will need from way earlier in this thread:

New Information....
I just found out that there were actually TWO new Bose TSB's issued on the same day. (10/1/03)

TSB NTB 03-086

This TSB applies to all Touring models produced PRIOR to 9/28/02 and SUPERCEDES the original TSB addressing the bass over boost problem.

TSB NTB 03-087

This TSB addresses the "lack of clarity" in all Bose systems installed in 350Z's produced between 9/28/02 and 6/03.

The fix for BOTH issues is to check to see the model number of the amp in the vehicle. If the amp is NOT model number:

2860-CE400

then the amp will be replaced.

Background info: The fix for the original over boost problem was to install amp model number 2860-CD400. This is also the model number of the amps installed in all new Bose systems after 9/28/02.

So, both TSB's referenced above have the same fix.

I hope this clears up some of the confusion.

----------------------------------------------
If you still have that fluctuation problem, this will take care of it.

Good Luck!
Old 10-27-2003, 08:26 PM
Wedge

julwal...........glad to hear you are happy with the new amp! I like mine too.........
Old 10-27-2003, 08:38 PM
Dissolved

thanks man. will call them later

Last edited by Dissolved; 10-29-2003 at 06:41 PM.
Old 10-28-2003, 05:00 AM
ZPirate

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Got my amp replaced yesterday afternoon with the new one (model #2860-CE400). My initial impressions are good. Sound quality is much clearer and less muffled. Also highs are much more crisp and you can actually feel the bass now and adjust it. Still not sure it sounds as good as the Infinity system in my Dodge Truck, but I can certainly live with it now. I never did receive a letter from Nissan about the fix.
Old 10-28-2003, 09:30 AM
cincyspider

Just got off the phone with Nissan here. They told me they can't even order the part unless someone there has "verified" that I have a problem. IOW....they told me to bring the car in so a technician can sit in it and determine that there is a problem. Has anyone else encountered this??
Old 10-28-2003, 09:38 AM
ZPirate

Cincyspider, that sounds like BS to me. Have you given them the TSB number (TSB 03-087 or 86 if your car was built before 9/28/02)? If your car falls into the TSB parameters you are due the new amp (part #2860-CE400). According to the TSB the dealer is supposed to verify that you don't have the new amp and then replace your amp. You shouldn't have the new amp unless you've had your amp replaced recently. However, I wouldn't let them take your car apart twice to check and then later replace the amp. I still haven't received a letter from Nissan about the swap, but I called my dealer with the TSB info two weeks ago and he ordered the amp and then replaced it yesterday. It sounds much better. Have your dealer look up the TSB and compare it with your car's build date. Good luck.
Old 10-28-2003, 10:02 AM
Wedge

Hey there cincyspider,

The "sit in the car thing" was for the old TSB that first addressed the issue of over boosted bass way back when. The new TSB's just say to verify that the current amp is not the 2860-CE400. Call 1-800-nissan1 and have a rep there read you the TSB.

Don't know your build date, but just read above to see which TSB applies to you.

Then, call your dealer again.........and ask him if he would rather hear it from Nissan Consumer Affairs.
Old 10-28-2003, 10:07 AM
cincyspider

how do you figure out the build date? Took dely in June/03.

Also....how long does it take service to install the new amp??
Old 10-28-2003, 10:13 AM
ZPirate

Build date is on the inside of your driver's door. It takes 1 to 2 hours to remove old amp and install new one, depending on the experience of the tech.
Old 10-28-2003, 10:19 AM
cincyspider

Just got off the phone with NNA....they said my car is NOT included with the recall on 087. I took dely in mid-June, 03. I thought this was for all 03's after 9/02?? Has anyone else gotten this response? Don't have access to the vehicle to check my build date atm.
Old 10-28-2003, 10:27 AM
ZPirate

Cincyspider, I thought that TSB 087 covered all Touring models built through 6/03. If you took delivery of your car in June of 2003 your car was probably built in April or before, so it should be covered unless the TSB has an earlier cutoff date. My car was built in November 2002. Nissan should be able to tell your build date from your VIN. What did Nissan tell you was the cutoff date for the TSB? Maybe the NNA rep got the date you bought the car confused with the build date.

Last edited by ZPirate; 10-28-2003 at 10:38 AM.

Quick Reply: Bose Issue is Resolved!