Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Bose Issue is Resolved!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2003, 10:54 AM
bixby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good question. The answer would have to be no. I will say they gave me some difficulty saying that they would need to pull apart the car to confirm what amp I have & then order one for me. I informed them they had one one the shelf (I called the day before to confirm one was in stock). They had my car most of the day so I'd hope if they took the time to take it apart they would be smart enough to go ahead & replace it. I guess I'm going to have to check it myself now to confirm the right amp is there.
Old 12-15-2003, 11:33 AM
350Z_Redline

Default Re: Amp Replaced 12/13/03

Originally posted by bixby
well, after battling the dealer for several months, I finally got my amp replaced on Saturday. Absolutely no difference in the sound quality or bass & treble controls. My car was manufactured 03/03. There may be less distortion at higher volumes but I didn't go above 25 to find out. My biggest issue is the lack of bass & treble response. 0 to +5 does nothing! Now what?
I just had my amp replaced on 12/12/03 with amp 2860-CE400 and I too noticed no real difference. The treble "seems" a little clearner but not like night and day. I'm sure they replaced it, my dealer doesn't give me any hassles about TSB or warrenty issues, and they almost didn't have my car ready for pickup because the tech didn't know it was such an involved job to remove everything. I was hoping that this would be the "FIX" but sadly it's not.
Old 12-15-2003, 01:51 PM
Z-Desperado

The Bose sub woofer in the Z looks like a clock radio speaker. I was surprised when I checked it out and that why I just replaced the sub woofer and ran a separate amp to it. The Bose system never will sound good as it is sold to us in my opinion. I probably will replace the rest of the Bose speakers and amp later on with a new head unit.
Old 12-21-2003, 05:02 AM
bforesman

Angry Had Bose "FIX" done last week

The BOSE "FIX" was completed along with new front tires and window streaks. If I had it to do over again I never would have let them do the BOSE fix or the grease streaks.

They performed the grease streak fix and now I have wind noise in the car which is driving me even more insane than usual while owning this car.

I really don't have much of a problem with Bose until owning the Z. The BOSE issue is disappointing because my wife drives an Acura TL which has a MUCH better Bose system in it. The Acura shouldn't have a better system than the Z.

The fix only seems to have removed the range of bass response in terms of -5 to +5. To me that's not a fix at all but rather a restraint on an already weak system. I do find the system to be "brighter" but that is more likely a symptom of producing less bass response not actually being clearer. CD's have less bass than the radio for some reason.

This car has too many problems to be as enjoyable as it should be and I wish I would have bought something else. This will cost Nissan at least 3 - 4 car buying decisions before a Nissan will even be considered again and I'll NEVER pre-order anything from them ever again.

I tell everyone that compliments the car why they shouldn't buy one. Nothing kills a bad product quicker than the truth. I have personally saved three people from buying the 350Z.

If Nissan had someone with a head on their shoulders they would provide an upgrade offer to a more powerful amplifier that really cured this problem. I'm willing to pay if it fixes the problem, upgrades the system and costs me less in terms of trips back and forth to the dealer. Anything to keep me out of their service department!

Last edited by bforesman; 12-29-2003 at 04:12 AM.
Old 12-21-2003, 08:12 AM
theSmoothDome

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I now have wind noise in the car which is driving me even more insane than usual while owning this car. Don't do the fix.

Why would having the stereo fixed cause wind noise?
Old 12-21-2003, 02:14 PM
tiesto81

I guess i'm not too familiar with the shitty bose system in the touring models, but that's ALL i ever hear about them in the 350z :P. I'm not really accustomed to ever relying on factory systems to be up to par with aftermarket ones (I don't think anyone is), but at the same time I can understand everyone's pain since I guess this system was marketed to sound 'great' for stock.

With my civic, the stock speakers/head unit sucks bad. But this was just something I figured was a given with almost all cars. But - I never really splurge on stock sound systems since it just seems that they aren't that great. Maybe I'm wrong though on that.

Is the bose system just plain 'BAD' or is it 'bad' for the money and marketing done on it? I can understand it not living up to the potential that it should have, but is it a bad system overall? Just curious.

My brother's lexus..(the convertible - forgot the model) has a killer sound system. Probably the best stock system i've heard in a car. Wish they offered that kind of sound stock, as an option on the Z as opposed to having to dish out for an aftermarket system. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by tiesto81; 12-21-2003 at 02:16 PM.
Old 12-25-2003, 09:30 AM
BlueDragonZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by theSmoothDome
Why would having the stereo fixed cause wind noise?
Read the beginning of that sentence, he's actually refering to the window streak fix that he did along with the BLOSE FIX.

I was going to get this TSB completed but since people are saying there's not too much difference I think I'll just wait, for now. I don't want to risk the dealership working on my car specially since they have to remove a whole lot of stuff to get to the amp.
Old 12-25-2003, 01:46 PM
Pit Bull

Noticed a big difference when they changed mine out.
Old 12-29-2003, 07:51 AM
grifferjr

my only guess for the more wind noise is where the amp actually is. to me it looked as if to get to the amp they have to remove the back panel in the trunk area. i dont know much about cars at all but i would guess that any work in the area be it for the amp or tail lights that would break any true contact with any surfaces would lead to more noise especially if the tech was not careful in putting everything back. on top of that the driver would not have the bass there to drown out the noise.

i too have had the fix and find that the bass restriction is way more annoying than the wind. (there are tips elsewhere on these forums for reducing wind noise that i have done that work well) at full volume you can not tell any difference between bass 0 or bass +5. its not bad at full volume but i hate having had it versus not having it. i would rather have to manually turn the bass down at lower volumes. so my question is has anyone tried to go back to the dealer to have it re-done, or rather undone. or is this even possible.
Old 12-29-2003, 12:14 PM
bforesman

Originally posted by grifferjr
my only guess for the more wind noise is where the amp actually is. to me it looked as if to get to the amp they have to remove the back panel in the trunk area. i dont know much about cars at all but i would guess that any work in the area be it for the amp or tail lights that would break any true contact with any surfaces would lead to more noise especially if the tech was not careful in putting everything back. on top of that the driver would not have the bass there to drown out the noise.

i too have had the fix and find that the bass restriction is way more annoying than the wind. (there are tips elsewhere on these forums for reducing wind noise that i have done that work well) at full volume you can not tell any difference between bass 0 or bass +5. its not bad at full volume but i hate having had it versus not having it. i would rather have to manually turn the bass down at lower volumes. so my question is has anyone tried to go back to the dealer to have it re-done, or rather undone. or is this even possible.
The real problem with all these "fixes" is that the mechanics have never done them before and are learning on our cars rather than actually being trained by Nissan.

The drivers' window is noticeably slower than the passenger window and doesn't drop down correctly when the door is opened. It drops down near the door handle but not by the sideview mirror. It's obvious to me that my dealer doesn't know the first thing about the Z other than selling me one which is how I wound up here. The moron ordered me new window trim thinking that was the problem but I'm sure it has to do with binding or leveling of the window.

Last edited by bforesman; 12-30-2003 at 01:09 PM.
Old 12-31-2003, 08:07 AM
swoobyz

Originally posted by grifferjr
my only guess for the more wind noise is where the amp actually is.
You've got to be kidding me!
People, please read bforesman's original post:
They performed the grease streak fix and now I have wind noise in the car which is driving me even more insane than usual while owning this car.
The "wind" problem is a result of their removing his window so that they could fix the grease streaks.
The "wind" and the "amp" problems have NOTHING to do with each other!
Jeesh!

I removed my window the other week to work on a problem w/ my door and now I have a pretty loud noise when I go above 100mph.
<sigh>

Pv

Last edited by swoobyz; 12-31-2003 at 08:09 AM.
Old 01-13-2004, 12:11 AM
vahobaco

I took my Z of my dealership today and they didn't find any TSBs but they listened to my system, agreed it was ****, and said they'd order a new amp for me.

Do they need the TSB or does it not matter? I want it to be done right. Would I be better for me to find the TSB and show it to them? Or do I just forget the TSB and just let them install the amp?

vahobaco
Old 01-13-2004, 08:11 AM
swoobyz

Originally posted by vahobaco
I took my Z of my dealership today and they didn't find any TSBs but they listened to my system, agreed it was ****, and said they'd order a new amp for me.

Do they need the TSB or does it not matter? I want it to be done right. Would I be better for me to find the TSB and show it to them? Or do I just forget the TSB and just let them install the amp?

vahobaco
What year/model is your Z?

The TSB numbers (NTB03086 and NTB03087) are clearly stated in this thread and on my web site.
I even have a faxed copy of NTB03087 on my web site:
http://www.swooby.com/z/stereo/petition/ntb03087.pdf
If your dealer cannot find the TSB then they are not very competent.

You *should* have the TSB with you when dealing w/ your dealer.

Pv
Old 01-14-2004, 01:12 PM
dbx

Called my dealer yesterday afternoon and they seemed sort of clueless about the TSB 087. Needed my 15K workup anyway and a check wy my interior lights suddenly don't work (BCN chip it was which they didn't have) and they actually had the amp on the shelf and less than 24 hours later have it installed. Didn't hurt that I turned up with the service bulletin in hand. Yes, it sounds a little better and can now dial up to 31 (which is certainly not 11) but I think I have to go with at least a BassLink in the sub compartment. Seeing as this is powered, do you retain the Bose Amp? I am guessing yes. Will replace that and the rest of the speakers soon enough.
dbx
Old 01-22-2004, 10:50 AM
grifferjr

does anybody know how to get the bass level back after the tsb and amp switch was performed? this is really starting to bug me. i cant get any bass out of my system now without having to have the volume up at the highest level and even then its not all that great. also i do not think that the audio pilot is working at all. is there a way to turn it on and off from the radio. i have an 03 touring. not an 04. anyhelp would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-23-2004, 08:07 PM
Pit Bull

I'd take it back, mine worked great after the replaced the amp.
Old 01-23-2004, 11:02 PM
AmyCroft

Default Like Pit Bull Said

Originally posted by Pit Bull
I'd take it back, mine worked great after the replaced the amp.
When the Amp was replaced it was like night and day.

The Stereo sounds good Now. Look at the Number of the replacement.

If you do not have the proper number on the Amp - located in the rear well left of the spare tire. Then get NNA on the line.

Cheers Amy -
Old 01-24-2004, 11:00 PM
CopperZ

I go to my dealer and they said they will order 1 for me but they need the part # for the amp. 2860-ce400 is not the nissan part #. And that they would need to take apart my car to see the part #. That does not make any sence since the amp that they will see in my car is the bad old one.... Who knows what the nissan part # ???
Old 01-28-2004, 04:25 PM
bjgordon

Sorry if this has already been asked and asked but are these Bose problems unique to the 2003 Touring 350Z or are there any cases where they apply to the 2004 models?
Old 06-09-2004, 01:49 PM
Yellow Stealth

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, now I am frustrated. I went to the San Francisco dealership and handed them a printout of NTB03-087. They claim it does not apply to my VIN.

Now here is exactly how the TSB reads (this is copy/pasted from the TSB):

APPLIED VINS: Vehicles built in the following ranges:
JN1ZA34E83T005616 - JN1AZ34E03T021338
JN1ZA34D63T104720 - JN1AZ34D33T119707
APPLIED DATES: Vehicles built from September 27, 2002 to June 10, 2003

My car was built in February 2003 and the VIN is JN1AZ34D93T109393.

I called Nissan Consumer Affairs and they never looked up the TSB and just kept repeating to me that there were no TSBs AT ALL that applied to my VIN. I know that is impossible because I have already had the tire feathering TSB done and my car is sitting at the dealership right now getting NTB03-082 (rear hatch springs) done.

Can anyone explain why my VIN doesn't qualify?

Quick Reply: Bose Issue is Resolved!