Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Bose Issue is Resolved!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2003, 12:03 PM
frankmusic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up One MORE Time with Feeling!

NTB 03-086 is for Pre 09/2002 cars *problem = "Overboosted Bass"
NTB 03-087 is for Post 09/2002 cars *problem = Lack of Clarity" (or No Bass)

PLEASE READ THE THREAD!

http://www.swooby.com/z/stereo/petition/ - Sign the Nissan/Bose recall petition!

http://carstereohelp.com/stereoremo...50zBoseAmpR.htm

Sometimes, they will post recalls (this is not a recall by the way, it is called a "Customer Satisfaction Initiative") on the Nissan News site. It will just generally describe the issues but will not be a word for word TSB. Nissan News posted a desciption of the 086 TSB, which led a lot of people to believe that only cars built prior to 9/28/03 were covered. In fact, for a while there, people thought I was full of it because I described the 087 TSB and neither Nissan News nor their dealers seemed to be aware of it.

I would not wait for the letter. Just make arrangements with your dealer now. The letter itself is not required to get the fix. The letter is more or less to inform people that the fix is out there.........you already know about it, so why wait?

**The above statements have been quoted by the brave pioneers who have blazed the trail for those of us to get a fair shake! So, take advanatage of it - - - - - it wasn't easy getting this to happen.

Old 10-28-2003, 05:47 PM
jomaxum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also got the same response from my dealer and Nissan Consumer Affairs. When I gave them my VIN they both said it was not included in this replacement. My build date on the door is March of 2003 and my amp # is 2860 CD400. They apparently believe both TSBs apply to the same build dates. Consumer Affairs would not FAX me a copy of either TSB so I can't dispute what they are saying. The dealer claims not to have ever gotten the 087 TSB, even though Consumer Affairs admits that there is one. I would love to see the letter other Z owners have gotten and what their build dates were. This is very frustrating to say the least. How did you find out about the second TSB?
Old 10-28-2003, 07:46 PM
cincyspider

frank...please post website for this customer satisfaction initiative. Can't find anything about it at the nissan NA site.

Thanks
Old 10-29-2003, 03:43 AM
frankmusic

Exclamation The Current Message sez:.....

http://www.nissannews.com/

2003 350Z Audio Amplifier Customer Satisfaction Initiative [Oct. 01, 03]

Nissan will be conducting a customer satisfaction initiative on certain model year 2003 350Z Touring vehicles, equipped with Bose* audio system, as noted below.

Reason for Action
On 350Z Touring model vehicles manufactured prior to September 28, 2002, some customers have reported that the AudioPilot* noise compensation feature of the Bose audio system may cause the volume and bass to go up and down unexpectedly or cause the volume and bass to be exaggerated or excessive at times.

Nissan Action
For owners of the affected vehicles who are not satisfied with their audio system, Nissan, in conjunction with Bose, will replace the amplifier on these vehicles with one having an improved noise compensation feature that is more balanced with less noticeable change in the volume and bass. There will be no charge to the customer for the replacement.

Nissan plans to begin notifying owners of potentially affected vehicles on October 6, 2003 requesting them to bring their vehicle to a Nissan dealer.

Statement
"Nissan North America is conducting a customer satisfaction initiative on model year 2003 350Z Touring model vehicles. Some owners of 350Z Touring vehicles manufactured prior to September 28, 2002 have reported that the AudioPilot* noise compensation feature of the Bose audio system may cause the volume and bass to go up and down unexpectedly or cause the volume and bass to be exaggerated or excessive at times. For owners of these vehicles who are not satisfied with their audio system, Nissan, in conjunction with Bose, will replace the amplifier on these vehicles with one having an improved noise compensation feature that is more balanced with less noticeable change in the volume and bass. All repairs will be made at no cost to the customer. Nissan is committed to a high level of customer safety and service and will be working with its dealers to promptly implement this initiative. Customers will be notified of this initiative by mail."

Please direct any media inquiries to Eric Booth, Nissan Corporate Communications at 310-771-3014.
Old 10-29-2003, 07:05 AM
Wedge

The information posted by frankmusic from the Nissan News site is only half the story. This news blurb only references TSB NTB03-086 for affected systems produced PRIOR to 9/28/02.

Nissan News will NOT be publishing any news referencing TSB NTB 03-087, which pertains to affected systems in vehicles produced AFTER 9/28/03. This is by design, and means you have to do a little work on your own to get your fix.

Many dealers are either "playing dumb" or are just plain "dumb" when it comes to these TSB's. Therefore, you must help them wise up.

I have not found a place on the web where I can just print out a copy of these two TSB's. I actually had both of them in my hand and read them while at my dealer getting my amp replacement. I asked to see them and the service manager let me read his copies. He also told me that if it had not been for me, he would never have gotten these TSB's because apparantly, they did not come through normal channels.

The way that I got the TSB's to the dealer was this. After I was told about the TSB's by a rep at Nissan Consumer Affairs, I called my dealer to see if he had gotten them yet. He said he had not. I called again two days later and the dealer said he had still not received them. Dealer's tend to just wait for things to happen in situations like this. They do nothing pro actively to check on what the customer tells them sometimes.

My next step was to call the rep back at Nissan Consumer Affairs and explain that my dealer (I gave the rep all the dealer information, Name, address, phone number, service manager name etc.) did not have the TSB's in question and the rep saw to it that the dealer was given both TSB's.

The dealer then called me and said that he had the TSB's and he also had an amp for me which he was keeping in his desk drawer so that it was not mistakenly given to someone else. I went in the next day and got my amp replacement.

The point is, some dealers are easy to work with, some are not. Some think they know everything regarding which TSB's are out there and if they don't have it.........it doesn't exist. This is why you have to use all the resources available to you in order to get the things that you are entitled to get.

Another option is to call other Nissan dealers in your area to see if ANY of them have the TSB's you are looking for. Once you find one, tell your dealer to give them a call.........maybe the dealer with the TSB will fax it to your dealer.

Last edited by Wedge; 10-29-2003 at 09:44 AM.
Old 10-29-2003, 08:12 AM
frankmusic

Smile Right Again!

Exactly!!

Part of the confusion is that Nissan has only communicated "half" of their recognition of this ongoing problem at their web site. (it appears under 'recall' in their pull down menu, by the way) Basically, the Bose issue is split in half based upon the month that your "Z" was produced. Earlier models had the over boosted bass - the later models have virtually NO Bass. (great fix, huh?)

You need to first identify the month that that your "Z" was produced to establish that it suits either criteria. One should make the proper phone calls to your Nissan dealership. Starting with the parts department would be your best approach. You need to have them order it - or save one with your name on it. Make that appointment and get it done.

Also, a good rule of thumb, would be to print out some of this information and have it ready in your hand on the day of your appointment. You may in fact run into a desk person, as I did, who was clueless (or selectively clueless). Either way, as Wedge recommends - ya gotta educate them a 'lil bit.

For those who are a little handy, you might want to remove the panels yourself the night before. I actually did that to remove some of my doubt in their ability to have passed their Nissan "Removing The Panels" 101 class.

The service guy who worked on my "Z" actually thanked me for doing removing the panels prior to my visit. I was out of there in less than 30 minutes. It really took longer to do the obligatory paper work.

Old 10-29-2003, 05:56 PM
Mikela1

frankmusic:
I am set to go in Friday and have the amp. changed out - - - 28060-CE400. Is this the right number? Where does he number 2860-CE400 come into play that I'm seeing on these pages? Went on a small trip this weekend and tried to play a CD at 70mph+ - - - HOPELESS! My wife even said it sounded pretty bad. Had to turn the bass down to one.

Last edited by Mikela1; 10-29-2003 at 05:59 PM.
Old 10-30-2003, 08:59 AM
frankmusic

Default Round #2

Mikela1,

I believe this will be your second go around at your local Nissan dealership to have the amp fix. Do you know what the amp number was that they installed for you? The 2860-CE400 is the number I needed in my (5/03) "Z". Prior to that install the amp number in my "Z" was 2860-CD400. (or better recognized by the unfortunate recipients of this amp - "JUNK") I know this for a fact, because I removed the rear panels the night before. I was able to read the number on that crummy little amp. The NTB 03-087 was for 09/2002 and later produced Touring Zs with the "Lack of Clarity" (or No Bass) problem.

However, if your "Z" now produces over boosted Bass after your last install...........could it be possible that your serviceman just replaced the existing amp with another bearing the same number as before? Prior to your first 'amp swap' trip, was your audio problem indicative of over boosted bass - or lack of Bass?

You might want Nissan's service to revisit your unresolved situation via their (amp switch) service records. In order for them to get a better understanding to satisfy your current needs, mention your vehicle production date as well.

There's nothing more frustrating than planning to have your problem solved - only to find out after the fact that it STILL exists.

It's like: "What the..................!!" confused:

(1). So, give 'em another call to get some answers.
(2). .....and don't leave the next service appoinment until you've 'heard' the audio results and you are satisfied.

:
Old 10-30-2003, 02:34 PM
koolzero

I had my amp replaced today. Maybe it's just me but I still don't think that the bass and trebble adjustments do anything. I notice more bass coming out of the sub which gave me a very nice massage! I guess that's my review. I'd say it's improvement over the "impotent" amp that I had replaced last year. The installer did an excellent job, the trunk appears to be completly intact. Good times!

ps. to ppl that had the amp swap do your bass and trebble adjustments do anything?

Last edited by koolzero; 10-30-2003 at 02:36 PM.
Old 10-31-2003, 10:32 AM
DMONTE

Just got my amplifier replace today incredible difference I almost can't believe that just the amplifier replacement fixed that previously horrible sounding system.

To me the difference is about equal to when you get off a plane and your ear's are clogged and then they finally open up that much of a difference

By the way, by repair order states amplifier replaced as per recall P3140 I don't know if this number has been mentioned before but I figure I'd mention it.
Old 10-31-2003, 11:02 AM
Zakira

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I'm glad I waited for this fix, too, instead of going aftermarket. Sure, it's still not a rich sounding system, there's almost no difference at average listening levels depending on CDs. But the thing is, I can now turn up the volume! The AudioPilot won't fight you anymore. The sound is clear, you can feel the thumps now (it's almost painful at times , in a good way), and for the first time, I HAVE HAD TO TURNED DOWN THE TREBLE!!!
I now love to listen to the music (loud) instead of the Borlas. By the way, my car is 8/02 build.
Old 10-31-2003, 11:43 AM
mreed76

Default VIN Numbers from NTB03-087

Originally posted by cincyspider
frank...please post website for this customer satisfaction initiative. Can't find anything about it at the nissan NA site.

Thanks
Applied VINS:
JN1AZ34**3T005616 - JN1AZ34**3T021338

and

JN1AZ34**3T104720 - JN1AZ34**3T119707
Old 10-31-2003, 12:12 PM
DMONTE

I wonder what was actually wrong with the original amps, to make such a difference I am still amazed I have to go out now and drive around a little just to listen to it
Old 10-31-2003, 05:00 PM
SungNamZ

Some 20,000+ miles and ALL the fixes done today. Amp per TSB,
OEM Front Tires replaced and realigned per TSB and finally Window Grease per TSB. Only a two mile drive home, but felt and sounded like I was driving a "New Z". Going out for Sushi! Will probably have to drag myself from behind the wheel, much like the day I drove it off the lot....:-)
Old 11-01-2003, 08:17 PM
Stinger1

Default bose letter

anyone received their letter yet and if so could you scan it and post it on the site.
Old 11-02-2003, 07:21 PM
Pooh2002
Charter Member #30

I gave up waiting for the notification from NNA and just called my dealer and set up an appointment. I told a little white lie when i made the appointment. I said I had received notification in the mail.

I also called the parts department and made sure they put aside an amp for me. I take the Z in tomorrow morning for the replacement -
Old 11-03-2003, 11:26 AM
Pooh2002
Charter Member #30

Got the new amp installed this morning. It makes a BIG difference. MY test CD is a jazz piano trio. Before the fix, everything sounded quite flat - no presence at all. Now it seems like the trio is in the car. Sounds are distinct, can feel the sub woofer when the bassist is riffing. No distortion even at volume levels approaching 30.

Get it done as soon as you can - it will make you much happier with the car.
Old 11-03-2003, 11:42 AM
apsilon

Can anyone tell me if this TSB orginates from NNA or Nissan Japan? The local dealers are saying they've never heard of it.
Old 11-05-2003, 05:32 AM
sifuhall

I got the new amp on Monday. It really makes a big difference.
Old 11-05-2003, 06:03 AM
Pit Bull

Default Re: VIN Numbers from NTB03-087

Originally posted by mreed76
Applied VINS:
JN1AZ34**3T005616 - JN1AZ34**3T021338

and

JN1AZ34**3T104720 - JN1AZ34**3T119707
I'm 117937, guess I better go see the man

Quick Reply: Bose Issue is Resolved!