Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Bose Issue is Resolved!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 03:39 PM
Wedge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have the early Bose, and are not plaugued wiith overbooming bass.........then it is up to you. The early systems had so much bass at times that you could not understand the words that were being spoken on the radio.
Old 10-09-2003, 03:41 PM
JPizzle

Do we get money back if we've already taken it upon ourselves to fix this problem...
Old 10-09-2003, 04:05 PM
Wedge

Nope
Old 10-09-2003, 04:06 PM
JPizzle

That kind of sucks...
Old 10-09-2003, 04:15 PM
BlueDragonZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Originally posted by Wedge
If you have the early Bose, and are not plaugued wiith overbooming bass.........then it is up to you. The early systems had so much bass at times that you could not understand the words that were being spoken on the radio.

SORRY, I haven't really been following the BOSE threads because I didn't think that my problem is evident. The first part of Wedge' sentence does make sense to me though. The bass isn't the best thing that I've heard but I thought this was a NORMAL thing, I guess not. So if this is the case, I am warranted for these two TSB's as well? My car was produce after 09/28/02.
Old 10-09-2003, 04:16 PM
lungta

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i am starting to get p~``* off with this bose system. I called my dealer last weekend to get the bose amp replaced with the new one. They said no problem, bring it this week and we will do it for you. So this morning i take my car to get the amp replaced as NTB087 says, as well as the window grease. When i get to pick my car up later in the afternoon they said they fixed ther grease, BUT they would not replace the bose amp because it says on NTB that ONLY cars manufactured before 09/27/02 are affected, unfortunetaly mine was on 10/02/02. So i got f&^** up again.
Did anybody here get the fix yet and if so, what is your manufactured date ???
Old 10-09-2003, 04:50 PM
shb4

Just picked up my car from dealer with new amp. Sound quality is definitely better but as others have said not quite what I had hoped for. Still sounds somewhat thin and muffled at high end but improved. Seems to lack "presence" which is hard to desribe but may be due to lack of midrange. More distribution of sound to rear speakers which may not be a good thing since they sound especially thin. I think this is all we are going to get, however. Have not heard a 2004 to compare but that would be interesting.
Old 10-09-2003, 06:06 PM
lungta

shb4, what is the date your car was manufactured on ?
Old 10-09-2003, 06:07 PM
CopperZ

Ok, well I have to admit I had a 1996 Infiniti I30 with BOSE and my dad has a 97 Infiniti Q45 with bose and Both sounded really good. Bose does put on an amp on every speaker and you will not be able to change the speakers for aftermarket ones. In fact you will have to change the face, and all the wires and speakers = about $2000 which I wont spend… What we have to find out is what actually is causing this terrible sound. Is it the face? Is the AMP? Is the speakers them self’s? If it’s the speakers, I will go to a junk yard and pull out an Infiniti’s bose speakers and put think into my Z.

Now, can someone help me out? My car is going in for service this Tuesday for a new coin holder and cup holder. I am going to tell him about the speakers and the TSB’s. Now, My car was made in 11/02 what TSB’s should I have him look for?

Oh and I got the window streaks too. I’m going to tell them about that as well. I also discovered a much bigger problem with my transmission. When I shift from 1st to 2nd I hear this noise. Its like a cracking noise or like pebbles are hitting the car??? Coming from rear and I think happens on 1st, 2,3 gears. I don’t know about 4-6th because by that time I’m going to fast and cant hear. Any idea’s anyone?

Thanks
Old 10-09-2003, 06:08 PM
zzzya

Did anyone else receive a letter in the mail today from Nissan saying that there is a TSB to fix the Bose Stereo system and that they should contact their dealer to have it fixed?
Old 10-09-2003, 06:40 PM
Wedge

Lungta, Blue Dragon Z and all..........Please Read this......

I am getting irritated when I hear you are getting screwed by dealers that don't know what the hell is going on in their own companies. I am so tired of typing the same information over and over........that I have a new suggestion. Please take the time to read this thread from the beginning. At least the ones where I posted the TSB's, which one covers which production dates, the model number of the replacement amp.......the number for Nissan Consumer Affairs..........etc. Print these out or write them down.

Before I went to the dealer, I called him to see if he had NTB 03-087. I then told him to call whoever it is that sends him TSB's and inquire about it. I then hung up and called Nissan Consumer Affairs (1-800-nissan1) to tell them that my dealer claims he has 086 but not 087 which were issued on the same day. I told the consumer affairs guy that if the dealer claims not to have the TSB when I arrive, that I will be calling consumer affairs back while standing in front of the dealer service manager, and that consumer affairs can READ the tsb to him.

Blue Dragon Z- Your car is covered by NTB 03-087 (post 9/28/02)

lungta - You were screwed by your dealer's ignorance of the facts and his laziness in not getting on the phone to verify whether he had all the TSB's. Your car is covered by NTB 03-087 also.

If you have the fix done, do not leave the dealership without inspecting the workmanship on their replacing the plastic pieces in your cargo area. Mine was totally screwed up. They had the rubber gasket around the hatch area under my plastic instead of on top. When I lifted the carpet and cardboard floor board up, the big black foam thing that covers the amp was totally out of position. If you really don't trust your dealer, ask to see the old amp to make sure he replaced it.

I saw hard copies of both TSB's with my own eyes at my dealer. They do exist. Do not let anyone tell you that they don't........especially the 087. That seems to be the one that is the most elusive.

Good luck to all! Get your ducks in a row before visiting your dealer (by having all the TSB information and numbers etc.), then stand your ground and don't take no for an answer. They really hate it when you ask to use their phone to call Nissan Consumer Affairs. (1-800-nissan1) You are the customer.........you have rights..........you are not an interruption to their business........you ARE their business. Sometimes they need reminding.
Old 10-09-2003, 06:48 PM
shb4

Car was manufactured in late Nov. vin# 102xx. Don't get me wrong--the fix is a huge improvement and worth getting. I think sound is now acceptable if not robust. I have put in some CDs that I could not even play befor because they were so annoying they gave me a headache and they sounded fine. Iam still very suspicious that the audiopilot is still a culprit here because the frequency response as well as sound level seems to change. The higher number adjustments for base still do not seem to have much of effect on base ouput although I can get enough to satisfy me. I think if this had originally come on the car I would have accepted it as just the way it is whereas I knew before that what I had stunk without anyone having to tell me.
Old 10-09-2003, 06:57 PM
Wedge

Good assessment shb4.........I agree with you. I saw a thread a while back on some forum about disabling the audio pilot. I think all it involved was getting a 1K ohm half watt resistor, pulling off the connector from the audio pilot michrophone, then putting the resistor between the terminals of the connector, leaving the mic unplugged. They say you can't just unplug the connector because some resistance has to be seen by some circuit in the amp. I may try that......

Since you got the amp, and your car was a November 02 build, then you can verify that the 087 TSB exists, right?
Old 10-09-2003, 07:00 PM
CopperZ

So even though there are 3 TSB’s out. Only 1 amp will be replaced? My car was made 11/02 what are they going to replace/fix?
Old 10-09-2003, 07:14 PM
frankmusic

Angry Hosed By Bose!

Making phone calls, signing petitions, sending emails, and posting our complaints has certainly had a positive affect on the current lousy Bose System issue. It is apparent that they (Nissan/Bose) have taken some obvious notice. The Touring crowd has indeed made a few good strides. Most of us will probably be making that extra effort for their respective dealership amp swap. Immediately after that install the ultimate test of their 'fix' will be anxiously administered. Right?!

Remember, if you get your amp swapped out - please tell us what you think about it after hearing your system driven by the new one. So far, in the early stages of this amp swap, there haven't been any real rave reviews. That in itself is not at all an encouraging sign.

In the mean time - Sign that petition folks.

http://www.swooby.com/z/stereo/petition/

'03 350Z - Silverstone - Touring - 6spd MT
Charcoal Leather Interior
Side Air Bag Curtains
350Z Seatback Organizer
Chrome Front Grille
Nissan OEM Aero Package
Front Zee-Bracket License Plate Holder
350Z Grounding Kit
NISMO Oil Filler Cap
Aluminum Billet Dip Stick
Colgan Side Mirror Bras
Colgan 2 Piece Nose Bra (necessary)*
LED Amber Sidemarkers
Courtesy Parts "Z" Emblems
LED Amber "Z" Fender Emblems
Courtesy Parts "Z" Wheel Locks
Courtesy Parts "Z" Valve Stem Caps
350Z Rear License Plate Frame
"Shorty" JDM Altezza Antenna
Hopeless Bose System (made by Fisher/Price)
Old 10-09-2003, 07:18 PM
CopperZ

We have to advertise the Bose petition on other 350’s forums on the web… I am sorry to say but we only have 187 people. There were 6100 touring cars made, we are a minority. For Nissan to actually something better then a rewired amp, we need way more then 200 people. Please help me spread the word.
Old 10-09-2003, 07:37 PM
frankmusic

Exclamation und You Vill Sign Zee Papers!!!!

CopperZ is RIGHT! This petition must reach other concerned Touring owners. That petition has got to grow much larger than it presently is.

I for one, do not want to change the HU this early. If the speakers and the sub have got to go later on......well.......I suppose that I can somehow swallow that thought. (I guess)

These are the items that can be replaced with positive audio results. The system will then remain stock in its appearance, but will have noticeable sound improvement.

Until then, the fight must go on!

http://www.swooby.com/z/stereo/petition/

Old 10-09-2003, 07:40 PM
BlueDragonZ

Originally posted by Wedge

Blue Dragon Z- Your car is covered by NTB 03-087 (post 9/28/02)
Thank you.

Great, another thing that I have to be worried about. Will all of this ever end?????
Old 10-09-2003, 08:31 PM
lungta

Does anybody know what is the difference between the NTB03-86 and the NTB03-87 ???
Old 10-09-2003, 08:42 PM
shb4

Wedge, amp was replaced under 087 just as you said. In fact I took a copy of your post into the dealer because he was confused re 086 fix. Your info was a huge help. I guess some of the dealers are still confused. Maybe on purpose because my dealer said that each of these fixes was a loss to them since they are not payed by Nissan for the actual amount of labor needed to install so you may have to push your dealers a bit although mine was fine.

Quick Reply: Bose Issue is Resolved!