Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

HELP!!!IM SO ANGRY!!! I feel like giving up on my audio build

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 06:06 PM
aduhm619

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can understand what you mean.. First off- don't go to an audio shop because they won't take care of your car, its just another job for them, and they will break (accidentally) or cut conners if needed.. do it yourself..
2nd you need lots of power.. ex: high output alternator, 2nd battery maybe if you wanna go all out, also zero gauge wire helps, Do the big three (zero gauge wire from alternator to battery, zero gauge ground from engine to chaise, and zero gauge ground from battery to chase) also zero gauge to your amp..
3rd forget the main stream.. there are plenty of good subwoofers that are better than JL audio.. Mine are two 12'' OEM TC sounds subwoofers.. they were actually prototypes following a similar sub that they have, but a bit better..
4th sub box- sealed or ported.. your choice, i like ported but there is not a lot of trunk space in our cars, so mine is sealed.. O yeah, if you make your own box, make sure you have the right amount of space in them to hear your subs full potential.. and make it out of 3/4 in fiberboard...
5th lose the spare..
6th you should use a good headunit that have 5 volt preouts.. and use ebay and save your money!!!!! There is lots of other things you can do.. just do some research on some car audio forums...

O yeah!!! make sure this is what you want to do.. the audio build adds some bit of weight to your car.. so don't go all out if you race your Z or G..

I'm sure i missed somethings but i hope this helped..
Old 09-13-2009, 05:46 AM
adamtaylorpcb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KPierson
That's really strange, do you have any theories as to why a 50% larger box sounds better? It's obviously in JLs best interest for the sub to sound best in the box they recommend.

I've built countless boxes to the mfg specs and I've never had one that didn't sound good. Back when I was an installer we put subs in prefabbed boxes all day long that sounded less then optimal because the boxes weren't sized correctly for the subs.

Was there anything strange about the box (extreme diminsions in one direction, ports, structual issues etc)?

How did you go about determining a air space for the new box?
first box was a z-enclosure made for the w7

the other box i made myself and i measured it with good old math and then checked my math with the handy packing peanuts trick... so its definitely right