350z navigation install?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 06:22 AM
JEKL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sxr891
how much did your full setup cost?
and a break down of each peice?
I can't remember exactly, but it was in the neighborhood of $1,200. It wasn't cheap to go the route I went, but it is still cheaper than trying to put an OEM nav into a car that didn't come with it.

Here is the link for my write up. It lists all the pieces that I used. You can check out a site like Crutchfield.com to get an idea of how much each piece would cost.

I would strongly recommend you go with a set up that puts the navigation in the upper console as opposed to replacing the Bose with a double din unit that has navigation built in. You will be much happier, and safer, by having the navigation screen higher up. This way you don't have to take your eyes off the road as much.

BTW, you already have met at least 3 of the heavy hitters of the Audio forum in this thread (Kal_El, Spike and THEDUKE). Listen to them and you can't go wrong! Keep searching the Audio forum and you will get a ton of great ideas.

Last edited by JEKL; 10-04-2009 at 06:26 AM.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:15 AM
sxr891

i will probably go with your route, thanks
Old 10-04-2009, 03:56 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

how much did your full setup cost?
and a break down of each peice?
You didn’t mention your budget, but you did say you want to keep your Bose system in place.

As Jekl1000 says, the Z’s OEM Bose system isn’t very good, but replacing this is not cheap.

Here is another solution using Kenwood that provides great navigation. It isn’t nearly as elegant as Jekl1000’s installation, but it costs less (you can do it for <$600 if you shop carefully).

Note: This solution adds navigation that is independent of your car’s BOSE CES so you won’t have voice guidance coming through your car’s speakers, but instead the voice is delivered through a speaker on the Kenwood LCD (that can sound “muffled” and you don’t have muting on the car’s speakers while the navigation speaker issues it’s voice guidance).

This solution uses two Kenwood pieces:

1. Kenwood LZ-702W Touchscreen Monitor

Name:  LZ-702W.jpg
Views: 3323
Size:  2.0 KB

The LCD screen installs easily in the upper/forward cubby of the 2003 Z. You won’t need to do any custom fabrication since it’s literally a drop-in installation. All you do is unscrew the rear pocket and use the same screws to fix the screen in place.

The LZ-702W Touchscreen Monitor has a hideaway box where you make you connections. It fits well in either the large compartment behind the driver’s seat or in the large glove box behind the passenger seat. Since you have the OEM Bose (and it’s Subw is behind the driver’s seat), you would put the -702W Touchscreen Monitor’s hideaway box inside the large glove box behind the passenger seat.

2. Kenwood KNA-G510 Navigation Box

Name:  KNA-G520.jpg
Views: 3310
Size:  2.5 KB

Install this in one of the small upper cubby slots behind the driver or passenger seat.

Done! I mention this solution since it’s not expensive, and easy to install. The caveat is that it isn’t integrated into your car’s CES.

Jekl1000’s wonderful KOS installation is much better since it’s integrated and scalable (you can add any number of various components). If this fits your budget, I'd go with the KOS system (what Jekl1000 did).

--Spike
Old 10-04-2009, 04:27 PM
sxr891

will both of these options work with the 03 cubby? with the retractable door?
Old 10-04-2009, 04:37 PM
JEKL

Yes, all these options will work for any year cubby. Some just take more work that others to make them fit. If memory serves me correctly, the 03-05 cubby is easier to work. I THINK all you have to do is detach the cubby itself from the bezel and the screen can mount bezel where the cubby once was.

The 06+ was more involved because the nav bezels did not have a door so you had to buy an entire new bezel figure out a way to fill where the nav controls would normally go.
Old 10-04-2009, 04:57 PM
Spike100

Yes. In fact the '03 cubby is the most adaptable to this. You simply unscrew the rear pocket piece, and use the same screws to fix the monitor in place. It doen't require any custom fabrication.

Here is Paul350Z's great thread that describes installing an LCD screen in the 2003's cubby (lots of instruction and pictures).

https://my350z.com/forum/audio-build...tallation.html

--Spike
Old 10-04-2009, 06:43 PM
sxr891

i was looking and i couldnt find anything about it.... is the farenheit gps capable? and i looked on the site and could not find it
Old 10-05-2009, 04:51 PM
Spike100

i was looking and i couldnt find anything about it.... is the farenheit gps capable? and i looked on the site and could not find it
Farenheit makes several LCD remote (headrest) screens, including a touch-screen. The remote Farenheit touch-screen operates its own monitor functions, but it won’t operate a GPS.

However, the Farenheit LCD remote screen (regular LCD or touch-screen) will display GPS images if the GPS device supports sending its video to a composite NTSC or PAL screen.

That means you can connect a Farenheit LCD remote screen to a device such as the Garmin GVN53 using a composite video connector. You won’t have touch-screen function with this arrangement (the Garmin GVN53 uses and RF handheld controller), but using the Garmin’s handheld controller, you can operate your GPS while viewing the video image on your Farenheit screen. It works just great as a GPS device, but doesn’t support touch-screen function.

I really like RF controllers since they do not require precise pointing at a receiver (as is the case with IR controllers).

Let me know if that doesn’t answer your question.

--Spike
Old 10-06-2009, 06:59 AM
sxr891

thanks SPIKE, you answered what i asked.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:52 PM
Spike100

^^ Don’t mention it. Here’s some more info.

The components you need for this installation:

Garmin GVN53 Black Box Navigation
Name:  Garmin-GVN52.jpg
Views: 3395
Size:  5.0 KB

Farenheit 7” LCD Monitor
Name:  FarenheitT-7000MHR.jpg
Views: 3373
Size:  4.9 KB

And… What it looks like mounted in the upper/forward cubby (the GPS is in “night-time” mode which is an inverted background for better viewing at night).

Name:  Zgarmin.jpg
Views: 6880
Size:  76.4 KB

Additional Notes:

1) These are the same model 7” LCD screen, just different brand names:

Farenheit T-7001MHR
Farenheit T-7000MHR
Power Acoustik PT-700MHR
NESA Vision NSM-7005 7" MONITOR

The size of the screen (including its enclosure) is (177.8mm W x 127mm H x22.8mm D). That dimension fits the upper/forward cubby in your 2003 Z perfectly. You mount it there by simply removing the rear pocket in the upper/forward cubby and replace this with the screen. You can even use the same screws that hold the rear pocket. I only used the screws (I didn’t add adhesive or anything else to hold the screen), and my screen has been perfectly secure for 5 years now.

Paul350Z posted an excellent thread that describes mounting this dimension screen in a 2003 Z:

https://my350z.com/forum/audio-build...tallation.html

2) The Garmin GVN53 is very simple to install. I placed mine in the small upper rear cubby behind the driver’s seat. It fits perfectly there.

3) The wiring is simple.
Connect the Yellow RCA composite video wire (a single wire) to the LCD.
Connect the Red power line to an ACC switched power source.
Connect the Black ground to the car’s chassis.
Connect the White RCA Audio left to your H/U’s AUX left sound input.
Connect the Red RCA Audio right to your H/U’s AUX right sound input.
Connect the Blue Audio Mute wire to your H/U (if your H/U supports muting).

There are 5 more wires that have optional connections (2 that are used to connect an optional remote speaker if you do not want to connect the GVN53 to your H/U’s AUX, and three others to connect to an optional harness that supports RGB monitors).

There is no silly parking brake wire. If you have a passenger onboard, let this person operate the GPS using the RF remote control. You don’t need to be stopped with the parking brake engaged to operste this GPS. Nice!

Caveats

1) The system outlined above does not support touch-screen function. If you want touch-screen function, you need the Kenwood KNA-G510 Navigation Box and the Kenwood LZ-702W Touch-screen Monitor (which also fit perfectly into you 2003 Z, and are easily installed).

2) If you wire the sound to your car’s H/U AUX, then you cannot listen to your car’s CES while listening to the GPS’s voice guidance. There is a way to do this, but that’s another story best left to a separate posting/explanation. You can connect the optional speaker to the Garmin GVN 53 GPS, but it might be over-powered for good/clear listening unless your H/U supports muting (there is a mute wire on the Garmin GVN 53 is your H/U supports this).

Summary

I believe the description above is the least costly GPS solution for the 350 Z if you want a fixed 7” LCD screen in the upper/forward cubby. It provides great GPS function and the best viewing angle you can get in the Z.

You can do nearly the same thing with Kenwood components (also OEM Garmin for GPS) and get touch-screen function if you are willing to pay a little more $$.

--Spike
Old 11-02-2009, 09:07 AM
jackpellen

I have a Jap 2003 z, with factory nissan nav, any ideas how i can get the menus on-screen in english? and where the DVD nav disks are supplied?
Old 02-13-2013, 07:29 PM
Cubano4ever

Will i be able to do this woth same unit and parts in a 2008 350z??
Old 02-14-2013, 03:12 PM
Spike100

^^ I don’t have experience with a 2008, but I see no reason why this setup would not work. Hopefully someone who has done this will respond.

The LCD monitor is mounted behind the cubby. You need to do some custom fabrication (the 2003 cubby did not require custom fabrication). Any decent shop can do this, and the cost should be minimal. The most challenging part is the cutout and fabricating a hanger that holds the LCD screen.

--Spike
Old 02-23-2013, 06:17 AM
Nazar
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow talking about an old thread re-kindled...

DNX890HD New 2013 Kenwood in stock.
DNX690HD New 2013 Kenwood in stock.
Old 06-29-2019, 08:08 PM
Ryan Ashby

Originally Posted by Spike100
It will... but you may need to do some modifications.

If you go with the Kenwood KOS system, you can integrate this with your existing Bose hardware. In fact the Kenwood KOS System is designed to integrate with just about any existing car CES.

If you install an aftermarket double din H/U, you will need to install an adapter. Search here for all the information you need to accomplish this.

--Spike
Would the bose nav from an 07 Altima work in the double din slot where my 6 disc currently is? That’s what I want to do.
Old 06-29-2019, 08:10 PM
Ryan Ashby

Default 07 Altima oem nav in double din slot 350z

Originally Posted by Spike100
It will... but you may need to do some modifications.

If you go with the Kenwood KOS system, you can integrate this with your existing Bose hardware. In fact the Kenwood KOS System is designed to integrate with just about any existing car CES.

If you install an aftermarket double din H/U, you will need to install an adapter. Search here for all the information you need to accomplish this.

--Spike
will this work and could I wire in an aux port since it is set up for auxiliary?
Old 06-29-2019, 08:25 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan Ashby
Would the bose nav from an 07 Altima work in the double din slot where my 6 disc currently is? That’s what I want to do.
Are you looking for an OEM navigation solution? I've got mine laying around somewhere if youre looking for an OEM setup ... hell, I think I have the wiring too - I believe I have everything.

Last edited by bealljk; 06-29-2019 at 08:42 PM.
Old 06-30-2019, 04:09 PM
Ryan Ashby

Originally Posted by bealljk
Are you looking for an OEM navigation solution? I've got mine laying around somewhere if youre looking for an OEM setup ... hell, I think I have the wiring too - I believe I have everything.
That would be sweet man. Mines an 04.5 so the center dash is black. I was mainly looking for an oem look and the possibility of wiring up the aux port. It’s a pain on a radio without the option.
Old 07-01-2019, 03:44 PM
Spike100

I don't have experience with Nissan's Altima, but the Altima and 350z share many parts, and Double Din slots are 'universal."
Old 07-01-2019, 04:10 PM
DarkZ03

Received 487 Likes on 407 Posts

What are you trying to accomplish ultimately? I've had the factory setup with and without nav factory system with aftermarket nav, then added Bluetooth....now I have changed out all the factory system and retained the aftermarket nav I had prior.