Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

How do you know if you have adequate SubW’s?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 07:16 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts
Default How do you know if you have adequate SubW’s?

This is how to determine if your SubW’s are delivering the right sound.
  • When you drive into a gas station and pull up to the pump, the 60 year-old guy on the other side of the pump stares at you with a look of disgust.

• When you come to a stoplight, the other drivers in cars around you look about trying to determine the source of the sound they are obviously hearing.

• Your gf is embarrassed and a little annoyed (this will be obvious); and she mentions that the “stereo sounds awfully loud.”

• Your buddies keep telling you how great your car sounds.

• Cops stare hard at you when you drive by. If they follow behind you, that’s a good indication your SubW’s are working well. Of course, a citation for excessive sound is confirmation that you have the right equipment onboard.
I’m sure there are other indicators of a successful SubW installation.

--Spike
Old 01-13-2010, 07:29 PM
marques1

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

you have the right subs when your rearview mirror falls off of the windshield.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:04 PM
hellsoldiers08

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol if i turn up my subs (2 10" jl) my rearview mirror starts going down and then i cant see anything :/ got to fix that lol. Is that a good indication?
Old 01-14-2010, 02:25 AM
duro78

When a group of chicks are dancing to your beats when sitting at a stop light. I love the looks of disgust the most tho
Old 01-14-2010, 04:19 AM
dkmesa350z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by marques1
happened to me twice...lesson learned: unscrew mirror if bumping above 80 degrees outside.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:23 AM
ms350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All in good humor, I present the edited version.

Originally Posted by Spike100
This is how to determine if your SubW’s are delivering ghetto-fabulous sound.
  • When you drive into a gas station and pull up to the pump, the 60 year-old guy on the other side of the pump stares at you with a look of disgust because you remind him of the ghetto thug who stole his car.

• When you come to a stoplight, the other drivers in cars around you look about trying to determine the source of the annoying ghetto *** rattling they are obviously hearing.

• Your gf is embarrassed and a little annoyed (this will be obvious); and she mentions that the “stereo sounds awfully loud” because she is too nice to tell you that you are a wannabe thug.

• Your buddies keep telling you how great your car sounds, because they are all ghetto smurfs.

• Cops stare hard at you when you drive by. If they follow behind you, that’s a good indication your SubW’s are vibrating everything around your car. Of course, a citation for excessive sound is confirmation that you have triggered the ghetto detector in their cruiser.
I’m sure there are other indicators of a successful SubW installation.

--Spike
I agree that the sound is "right" if it appeals to you, but have the decency to turn your ghetto sounding rattle box down when you are in populated areas. Just a wild guess, but do you wear your hat backwards and big (fake) gold chains around your neck?
Old 01-15-2010, 02:03 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by ms350z
...I agree that the sound is "right" if it appeals to you, but have the decency to turn your ghetto sounding rattle box down when you are in populated areas. Just a wild guess, but do you wear your hat backwards and big (fake) gold chains around your neck?
Yeah… I forgot to mention the downsides:
  • You discover that the first ticket for a local noise violation is expensive. But, the second citation is double the fine. And the third violation is triple!

• You say “What” and Huh” a lot when people speak to you in normal tones (and that is not when you are in your car listening to your great CES).

• You need the volume on your home TV “up a couple of bars” past everyone else in the room. In fact, everyone keeps telling you to turn the volume down.

• You have a physical, and your physician or the staff audiologist is surprised your hearing is so poor for such a young person. But, you’re thinking that bad things don’t happen to young people… Do they?

• You start researching hearing damage, and you discover it is cumulative (the damage builds with each and every exposure), and it’s permanent.

Well shoot… That's not supposed to happen.

Spike
Old 01-15-2010, 04:19 PM
ms350z

• You discover that the first ticket for a local noise violation is expensive. But, the second citation is double the fine. And the third violation is triple!

• You say “What” and Huh” a lot when people speak to you in normal tones (and that is not when you are in your car listening to your great CES).

• You need the volume on your home TV “up a couple of bars” past everyone else in the room. In fact, everyone keeps telling you to turn the volume down.

• You have a physical, and your physician or the staff audiologist is surprised your hearing is so poor for such a young person. But, you’re thinking that bad things don’t happen to young people… Do they?

• You start researching hearing damage, and you discover it is cumulative (the damage builds with each and every exposure), and it’s permanent.

Spike
ROFL Nice addition!
Old 01-15-2010, 05:58 PM
jeremyh007

Originally Posted by ms350z
All in good humor, I present the edited version.

I agree that the sound is "right" if it appeals to you, but have the decency to turn your ghetto sounding rattle box down when you are in populated areas. Just a wild guess, but do you wear your hat backwards and big (fake) gold chains around your neck?
does it make me old if thats exactly what i was thinking?
Old 01-16-2010, 10:26 AM
ms350z

Originally Posted by jeremyh007
does it make me old if thats exactly what i was thinking?
Nope, I'm only 27 and I have thought this way since I have been old enough to drive because my parents raised me with the decency to be considerate of others Also, I value my hearing and don't want to shake my car apart.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:18 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bigaudiofanatic
If it sounds good to YOU than it is right.
I've had friends who's exterior rattled horribly, zero vocal clarity, and shrieks that masked themselves as highs...and to them it 'sounded great'. There is often a wide divide between "sounds great to me" and actually sounding great.

As far as Spike's post, I'd disagree inasmuch as I want the sound inside the car - I have no interest in having people outside the car hear the music. They didn't pay for my system, I did...so they don't get to enjoy it, only I do
Old 01-25-2010, 01:30 PM
JEKL

If your sub has BOSE on it...

Oh wait, that belongs on the "How do you know if have an INADEQUATE sub" list
Old 01-25-2010, 01:48 PM
Murda350

Originally Posted by marques1
this exact thing happened to me the other day.... even the little metal piece which attaches to the windshield (which holds the mirror up) fell off.....

It definitely bitchslapped my hand which was on the shifter ****, and scared the f**k out of me
Old 02-03-2010, 03:53 PM
nelson83099

How about when your neighbor asks you to pay for the glasses that have broke due to them vibrating off their shelves.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:36 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

You use a calibrated SPL meter to adjust your 1/3 octave equalizer so that every frequency is within 1 dB from 16 Hz to 18 KHz and the music sounds like it did the producer.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:41 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Spike

And the music is so loud you can't hear the guy with the wrist rocket pounding your car with lead fishing weights from his apartment.

True story - the landlord in an apartment I lived in up in Washington state use to do that to the clowns that would roll through his complex after hours. Since he was up on the third floor he told me he got lots of shots on hoods, roofs, and trucks where the dents showed large and did lots of expensive damage.

Advertising your $2000 worth of amplifier is a sure way to get robbed, be very careful about flaunting your stuff where you keep it.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:25 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by Paul350Z
And the music is so loud you can't hear the guy with the wrist rocket pounding your car with lead fishing weights from his apartment.

True story - the landlord in an apartment I lived in up in Washington state use to do that to the clowns that would roll through his complex after hours. Since he was up on the third floor he told me he got lots of shots on hoods, roofs, and trucks where the dents showed large and did lots of expensive damage. [ … ]
Truthfully… I would suggest awarding him a medal… on at least protecting the neighborhood, which he was certainly doing.

Originally Posted by Paul350Z
[ … ] Advertising your $2000 worth of amplifier is a sure way to get robbed, be very careful about flaunting your stuff where you keep it.
This happens all the time. You broadcast what you have in the car by playing the SubW at or near maximum output. The bad guys hear this, locate your car, and in the morning you come out to a Z with one or two broken windows, a lot glass scattered inside the car, and all your A/V gear is gone!

The amazing thing is people have this happen once, replace everything, and have it happen again.

--Spike
Old 02-06-2010, 01:24 PM
quakerroatmeal

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Truthfully… I would suggest awarding him a medal… on at least protecting the neighborhood, which he was certainly doing.

This happens all the time. You broadcast what you have in the car by playing the SubW at or near maximum output. The bad guys hear this, locate your car, and in the morning you come out to a Z with one or two broken windows, a lot glass scattered inside the car, and all your A/V gear is gone!

The amazing thing is people have this happen once, replace everything, and have it happen again.

--Spike
Happened to my brother multiple times. They never seem to learn a lesson.

But to keep it on topic.

When you're drowning out the car's system in front of you with your own. I miss spl.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:41 PM
Spike100

^^ Good one! I’ve been sitting at a stoplight only to have someone pull up next to me, and all I could hear was the boom…boom…boom from their car.

I was kidding when agreeing with Paul’s story about the landlord shooting marbles with a wrist rocket since an inaccurate shot could easily blind someone, or do even worse. But, I see why someone would become so annoyed and desperate that they do this to quiet the neighborhood.

I wonder how many times you can place a claim with an insurer for a ripped CES. My niece had it happen a couple times, and then she was dropped. She replaced the obnoxious SubW a third time, but learned to kill it several blocks from her driveway. Problem solved.

Notice that the people who have the most frequent losses complain the most about insurance rates.

--Spike
Old 02-06-2010, 03:01 PM
NttnbutaZthang

in my truck i was sitting behind a jeep and i had his soft top shake every time the bass hit....and one time a guy in front of me actually got out at a light and came up to me and asked me to turn my radio down because i was rattling his whole car