Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

n00b on the sound kinda, just bought my Z and can't really find answers via search..

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010 | 01:09 PM
The Original L5

Default n00b on the sound kinda, just bought my Z and can't really find answers via search..

Ok.. I did alot of searching and I can't really find any answers for these questions. Just bought a 08 Z Enthusiast, thus non-Bose. For my old car I bought a set of 2 Alpine Type-R 1222D subs, 500W RMS amp, and a box. Obviously some of this will not fit. What I'm looking to do

- Head Unit with Nav
- 4 6.5 coax Alpine Type-R's
- 1 of the 12's in the Bose sub location
- 1 amp for the mains, and one for the sub in the glove box
- Possibly still use (or at least not remove) the stock tweets since apparently nothing else fits in the A-Pillar from what I read.

Possible at all? I'm trying not to lose any trunk space here; if I can't, I might do an understrut box and 2 10's and sell the rest of the stuff on craigslist or something. Like I said, mad n00b, so I know these are kind of stupid questions, but I'm hoping I could get them answered without catching too much heat. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-24-2010 | 01:42 PM
Al Kapwned

Yes possible.
Old 04-24-2010 | 08:08 PM
drivessidewayz

I squeezed motorola tweets in mine...dunno where you read nothing else would fit....maybe nothing else would fit easily, lol.

And I think the stock sub is only a 10; not a 12. Not sure, but I think that's the case.
Old 04-25-2010 | 06:39 AM
The Original L5

Well any tweets can be made to fit, I just don't want to hack the A-Pillar or window sails, or mess with kick panels. If I had to choose between no tweets and no cutting or tweets with cuts, I'd say no tweets.

Mainly interested in getting a 12 + 2 amps in the glove boxes/stock sub spot. A shop can do all of it I'm sure, but I was quoted $900 for HU + 2 6.5's + 1 12" + 1 4channel + 1 sub amp. Ouch.. not unreasonable given the work but I'd maybe wanna get into some of it myself.
Old 04-25-2010 | 06:41 AM
The Original L5

Originally Posted by drivessidewayz
I squeezed motorola tweets in mine...dunno where you read nothing else would fit....maybe nothing else would fit easily, lol.

And I think the stock sub is only a 10; not a 12. Not sure, but I think that's the case.
I read someone sells a box preloaded with a JL 13" sub.. so I suppose a 12 could work; I think depth is probably the issue but I don't really know. Seems like it could work but I'm trying to find folks that have done it.
Old 04-25-2010 | 12:34 PM
drivessidewayz

I didn't cut anything to fit my tweeters in..I just kinda forced them in there and they fit snugly enough that I didn't have to worry about mounting them.

I can tell you in order to run the power wire, they'd most likely punch a hole in your rubber grommet near your battery under the passenger side wiper cover (I guess you could call it that) and then:
*pop off the plastic piece covering the passenger side door seal starting at the bottom front and working along the bottom and up to the top back
*pull off the passenger side door seal at the bottom
*pop off the kick panel
*pop the carpet off over the plastic clips that held the door seal cover
*gently pull off the rear side panel that starts where the plastic piece that covered the bottom of the door and goes all the way back to the rear strut tower brace.

The center console is easy as well It helps to have friends though, lol. It's a lot easier to show, but I unfortunately do it so often that I never have to take pictures. I can do all of that in less than five minutes, so it's really not difficult at all. The first time is the hardest of course. There are DIY's around here if you want to do it yourself and save a load of money.
Old 02-01-2011 | 01:55 PM
celohss

Did you ever figure out how to fit it?
Old 02-01-2011 | 01:56 PM
celohss

were you able to make the r 12 to fit in the stock bose sub location?
Old 02-01-2011 | 02:26 PM
erichsherrill

when i first bought my z i got a 10" Alpine Type-R and put it in the stock bose subwooker location and it was an epic fail.. i even dyno matted the inside.. it installed good and all.. it sounded like ****.. and because of the way air circulates in there i guess it made the subwoofer work way to hard and flex way too much f*cking my sub up.. if u want sum decent base in a z ur gonna loose a little trunk room.. with the small magnet size on a type r u can get that subbox that fits flush under the brace bar.. i have a W7 back there with zero trunk space.. lol
Old 02-01-2011 | 04:31 PM
erichsherrill

edit- there are some subs u can put in the stock bose location.. but it has to be a free air subwoofer
Old 02-03-2011 | 05:23 AM
The Original L5

Still haven't done anything as of yet. I'll probably do a JL 10 in box from wickedcas, JL components in front, JL coax in back, mat the bejesus out of the whole thing and tune it with the HU.
Old 02-07-2011 | 10:54 AM
Nazar
Banned

If you are looking to do a sub in th estock location, the only choice is to have it fire down on th efloor, Please check out our Glove box enclosures. However you will not be able to use a TYPE-R. You can use a JL AUDIO 10w3v3 sub. You want more bass get 2 enclosures for left and right side of the car.

You can order them here. http://www.wickedcas.com/product.php...2&cat=0&page=1

As for the tweeter mount you can easily massage many speakers in there, replacement panels from dealer are real cheap so in case you messit up no biggy. most professional shops will charge you about $75-150 to get the hob done. If not send me your tweeters and pods and I will get it done for you.

OR YOU CAN MOLD THEM INTO THE PODS

I also highly recommend the door pods as they will make any speaker you put in the car sound twice as good.