Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Noise isolate trunk

Old 09-12-2010, 08:40 PM
mazymus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Noise isolate trunk

Not sure if this has been brought before, sorry if it has.

Trying to cut down on cabin noise (hard to hear music / or talk on phone when car is going faster than 40-50...)

I was thinking of getting a bass box for the lower half, and get some kind of custom fitted plexi glass above the bass to be flush against the hatch door on the back. This way I can cut down some of the road noise.

is it workable?

any other ideas are much appreciated
Old 09-13-2010, 02:47 AM
shawn_david75

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pulled out the rear carpet, plastic trim, and spare tire and lined everything with Dynamat.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:09 AM
mazymus

how did that work out for you? was the car much more heavy? would you consider using dynamat for the trunk too?
thanks
Old 09-13-2010, 06:02 AM
shawn_david75

Worked great. Doesn't add too much weight, because the rear cargo area is so small.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:50 PM
mazymus

Hmm, interesting. Can you quantiy great? As in let's say the level of noise was 10, what Would it be now? Would yu consider dynamatting the doors too?
Old 09-13-2010, 09:13 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 399 Likes on 227 Posts

dynmat is NOT used for this guys. I wish there was a way i could make everyone know this so they wouldnt have to spend so much cash for the wrong stuff.....
It may have done a little for your sound, gravel on the wheel wells etc.......but id worked mostly due to the fact that it sealed the car up from passing air.. but theres still vents in the rear quarter panels to keep your ears from popping when the doors close.

but this issue is not what its intended for..or even good for...period.... it is used to end sympathetic vibration by making metal panels heavier and lowers the resonant frequencies they tend to hum at when bass hits, when youre doing a steady 76 mph, etc... i repeat HEAVIER....thats why its made with..... ASPHALT and LEAD.

Heres what you need: Scissors, felt mat, and a saturday morning w no tools needed.

Again im not trying to write as an d#ck.. just trying to save you a few bucks... that dynamat is not removable and is indeed difficult to work with in comparison.

the grey felt crap matting that looks like the lint from your dryer has layers of air pockets and can muffler and supress road noise, is easy to install, ten times lighter and cheaper than dynamat.

not squishy carpet foam for houses... you want the grey stuff. you dont even need to glue it in.. cut it losely and lay it behinid all that nasty open plastic back there..you CAN adhere it across holes in the metal to really do the trick, but its not necc.
the Z has jack squat for noise padding compared to other cars because we all wanted a light car... so adding ANY helps alot since it has so little to start with.

easy project, good results.

Im not being a d#ck.. i just promise you im just saving you a TON of time.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:30 PM
Tackett

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bmccann101
dynmat is NOT used for this guys. I wish there was a way i could make everyone know this so they wouldnt have to spend so much cash for the wrong stuff.....
It may have done a little for your sound, gravel on the wheel wells etc.......but id worked mostly due to the fact that it sealed the car up from passing air.. but theres still vents in the rear quarter panels to keep your ears from popping when the doors close.

but this issue is not what its intended for..or even good for...period.... it is used to end sympathetic vibration by making metal panels heavier and lowers the resonant frequencies they tend to hum at when bass hits, when youre doing a steady 76 mph, etc... i repeat HEAVIER....thats why its made with..... ASPHALT and LEAD.

Heres what you need: Scissors, felt mat, and a saturday morning w no tools needed.

Again im not trying to write as an d#ck.. just trying to save you a few bucks... that dynamat is not removable and is indeed difficult to work with in comparison.

the grey felt crap matting that looks like the lint from your dryer has layers of air pockets and can muffler and supress road noise, is easy to install, ten times lighter and cheaper than dynamat.

not squishy carpet foam for houses... you want the grey stuff. you dont even need to glue it in.. cut it losely and lay it behinid all that nasty open plastic back there..you CAN adhere it across holes in the metal to really do the trick, but its not necc.
the Z has jack squat for noise padding compared to other cars because we all wanted a light car... so adding ANY helps alot since it has so little to start with.

A long time ago, I beat this again and again and again.

Will it work? Yeah, anything with mass will lessen soundwaves.

Is it what it was intended? Nope.

Are there cheaper/more efficient ways to accomplish this?

Hell yes! And this is one way.

This really needs to be a PSA.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:31 AM
Augustus46

Can you show pics of the areas to place the felt?
Old 09-14-2010, 05:04 AM
mazymus

Originally Posted by bmccann101

hey man, thanks a lot for the info, very helpful. i'll have to look into that. and as another poster mentioned, if you have any pics of it in your car, it'll be much appreciated. i think you just saved me a bunch of $$ and lessened the weight of the car!! thank you
Old 09-17-2010, 02:14 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

The Z coupe is like a mini-station wagon with its tires inside the car. That is definitely a noisy arrangement.

I have used a product similar to Dynamat and agree with bmccann101 and Tackett. That type of sound deadening is heavy, messy, not very reversible, and requires some amount of experience/practice to install properly. Even if you do everything correctly, the results are somewhat disappointing when comparing its disadvantages.

I do have Dynamat in the doors, and it works well there to suppress vibration from my aftermarket speakers. For the rear cargo area, I used what bmccann101 describes. You can simply pull the rear carpeting covering the cargo area, and use this as a template for a felt backing (Note: when doing this cut your felt liner to a slightly larger dimension than the carpeting). That helps, but by no means makes the Z’s interior silent.

Here is my solution for a super quiet running Z: Lose those noisy summer performance tires that cup quickly and get really loud with just a few thousand miles of wear. After installing four Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires, I was amazed at how quiet my Z became… almost “silent-running.” Of course I realize this is not a solution for owners who want the best traction and handling that you get with summer performance tires.

Additional point: If you drive a Corvette, you notice that its interior is very quiet (you only hear the great exhaust noise but not the summer performance tires). Why is that? The Corvette has factory installed sound deadening panels that are lightweight and custom fitted to keep the car’s interior insulated from road noise. Certainly Nissan could do the same with the Z, but that increases the car’s cost.

--Spike
Old 09-17-2010, 09:52 PM
Tackett

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As anyone ever tried thy roll on/spray on sound deadener that some manufacturers sell? I thought about going that route at one point in my life, but never did.
Old 09-18-2010, 04:07 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Tackett
As anyone ever tried thy roll on/spray on sound deadener that some manufacturers sell? I thought about going that route at one point in my life, but never did.
I have used this (but on a Saab I had many years ago, and not on my Z). The problem with these “roll-on/spray-on” products is that they only add a relatively thin layer of deadening, and they do not seal over joints between sheet metal panels. Those gaps are where unwanted sound enters the car’s interior.

As bmccann101 states in his wonderful and accurate post (Msg. #6 on this thread), sound deadening works best when you use material incorporating air spaces. Notice how high end condominium construction uses two layers of sheetrock with a separator (providing an air space) between the sheetrock-layers that reduce sound transmission much better than fixing the two layers together. It’s all about eliminating vibration and sound transmission.

There is a good way to use spray-on sound deadening: Have one of those rust-proofing shops spray a layer of their magic stuff inside the Z’s rear wheel well. The immediate benefit is silencing the rat-tat-tat you hear when driving on gravel roads or loose stone.

--Spike
Old 09-18-2010, 07:44 PM
BakaN20

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Where can I get said grey mat? Wouldn't mind make the z a little more quite without adding too much weight.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:05 PM
mazymus

Originally Posted by Spike100
The Z coupe is like a mini-station wagon with its tires inside the car. That is definitely a noisy arrangement.

I have used a product similar to Dynamat and agree with bmccann101 and Tackett. That type of sound deadening is heavy, messy, not very reversible, and requires some amount of experience/practice to install properly. Even if you do everything correctly, the results are somewhat disappointing when comparing its disadvantages.

I do have Dynamat in the doors, and it works well there to suppress vibration from my aftermarket speakers. For the rear cargo area, I used what bmccann101 describes. You can simply pull the rear carpeting covering the cargo area, and use this as a template for a felt backing (Note: when doing this cut your felt liner to a slightly larger dimension than the carpeting). That helps, but by no means makes the Z’s interior silent.

Here is my solution for a super quiet running Z: Lose those noisy summer performance tires that cup quickly and get really loud with just a few thousand miles of wear. After installing four Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires, I was amazed at how quiet my Z became… almost “silent-running.” Of course I realize this is not a solution for owners who want the best traction and handling that you get with summer performance tires.

Additional point: If you drive a Corvette, you notice that its interior is very quiet (you only hear the great exhaust noise but not the summer performance tires). Why is that? The Corvette has factory installed sound deadening panels that are lightweight and custom fitted to keep the car’s interior insulated from road noise. Certainly Nissan could do the same with the Z, but that increases the car’s cost.

--Spike
interesting re tires. didn't know changing the tires can make THAT much difference. too bad i recently got some new tires... i'll def get the Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires next time then. hope they have it the size i need. thanks.