Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Help me bring these Bose questions together.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 12:03 PM
Lrn2Go

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Arrow Help me bring these Bose questions together.

Okay... so I've been searching for the past 3 hours on these forums for answers to my questions. I've found a lot of helpful information, but I can't seem to find all the answers I need to complete what I'm trying to do.

Have: '08 with the factory Bose, navigation, sirius, and blue tooth.

Want: Aftermarket head unit, factory speakers, free RCA channel from new head unit to run to an aftermarket amp (which I'm assuming the new HU will have an amp turn-on lead I can tap into) to power a sub (or more), keep Sirius/XM satellite radio, keep stock blue-tooth working, AND all of my current steering wheel buttons to continue working! This includes volume, seek, and blue-tooth calling buttons.

What I know from searching:
  • I will probably go with the Pioneer 4200DVD head unit. Some of the dash kits will need modification.
  • While on some of the early threads (in 04-05) they mentioned a HU could just plug right in. In a slightly newer thread there is a link to what I think is the Pac Audio ROEM-1 (link is broken) adapter that I may need? (original thread is HERE).
  • I read the Pioneer 4200DVD HU might come with everything it needs to install into a Bose system HERE... but what does "everything" mean exactly?
  • I will lose navigation audio without using another speaker somewhere... which is fine, given that it isn't connected, as well, to the blue tooth somehow.

Questions:
  1. For my needs... can someone who has done this or has the knowledge give me a "shopping list" of the adapters I need (even just names, I can google them and find places to order them I'm sure)? I assume this will include the interface for steering wheel controls, blue tooth, and something to make the Bose speakers work with the new head unit. However, if I'm forgetting or just don't need something, please inform me!
  2. Do I need the Pac Audio ROEM-1 unit for sure with the Pioneed 4200dvd HU? If so, is there another company that makes something that will also work? I can't find any good pictures on how this thing supposedly installs so maybe I just don't get what it's doing.
  3. What is required to keep the factory Blue Tooth stuff working?
  4. With this setup... will I be able to keep my stock Sirius radio antenna and such working on the new HU?

I appreciate any and all help you audio-geniuses can supply me! If you have lingering pictures of your setup, or a link to some (that are of "decent" quality or better so I can tell what I'm looking at), please share them with me. Thank you.

Last edited by Lrn2Go; 01-09-2011 at 12:07 PM. Reason: (clarification)
Old 01-09-2011, 11:04 PM
Lrn2Go

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay... up to 272 views and not a peep so far. So... another 2 hours of searching and a 4 hour car-ride to roll things around in my head (and keep my mind off the freakin' salt-truck that spit out a walnut chunk of rock salt that I couldn't dodge and put a chip in my windshield ) and this is what I think I've figured out so far...
  • The stock Bluetooth is a seperate unit, but it runs through the Bose unit. I cannot confirm if it will continue to work or not or if it can be integrated into an aftermarket HU. However, thus far I've seen a few people who have used some McGyver action to hide an aftermarket mic in the stock location. I'd prefer not to do this, but I don't know what else I'll do.
  • All the links for the PAC unit are broken in every thread I've read. Apparently at some point PAC re-did their site. When I search for my car specifically, I am not given the option to see any of the ROEM wiring options. Perhaps the PAC unit will not work with the 07+ Bose? All the Bose threads are for the older model of the stereo... so I'm struggling here.
  • Using the Mantra wiring harness will sound horrible and quiet with an aftermarket HU on the Bose system, and use up my RCA outputs.
  • I CAN keep the factory volume and seek buttons on the steering wheel and have them function. I need a PAC SWI-PS unit if I want to go with the Pioneer setup I mentioned earlier. An extremely helpful web page about how to hook it up can be seen HERE.

I still don't know if I can hook up my satellite radio antenna to an aftermarket HU, or if I can for sure use the OEM bluetooth module (antenna and mic), or if I need the PAC ROEM-1 for the 07+ Bose or not... since they are different than previous years. Sooo..... still lookin' for some help. Chime in if you know anything!

Last edited by Lrn2Go; 01-09-2011 at 11:11 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:27 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Lrn2Go
[…] I still don't know if I can hook up my satellite radio antenna to an aftermarket HU, or if I can for sure use the OEM bluetooth module (antenna and mic), or if I need the PAC ROEM-1 for the 07+ Bose or not... since they are different than previous years. Sooo..... still lookin' for some help. Chime in if you know anything!
I have not offered any advice since I have never been able to satisfactorily integrate Bose and non-Bose components. Popping noises, speaker hissing, and poor volume control are some problems I’ve seen; and why I now either go “all-Bose or no-Bose.”

I believe I can answer your question about interchanging satellite radio antennas. As far as I know, the satellite antenna and its connector are universal. I’m using a Kenwood satellite antenna with my Clarion satellite receiver, and it works just fine.

--Spike
Old 01-10-2011, 08:07 PM
orgasm_donor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^ Sometimes you will need to take the plastic connector off of the antenna end so the metal part of the plug fits into the input of the satellite box. The plastic connector can sometimes be modified slightly to fit as well.

As for the Bose question, Spike100 and I are in 100% agreement. There is no perfect way to integrate Bose with an aftermarket stereo. Its like trying to mate a giraffe with an armadillo - its gonna get messy!
Old 01-10-2011, 08:32 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

^^ Good point about the satellite antenna connections... The male insertion connector and the female receptacle appear to be the same, but some manufacturers shroud these connectors differently. I’ve only had to trim or remove (as you point out) the plastic collars to allow a secure/successful fit.

I should also mention (in case someone doesn’t know) that you cannot cut and splice satellite radio antenna wire. If you need additional length, you must add a satellite antenna wire extension. The antenna extension pieces have the same connectors you use to connect the wire to the satellite receiver.

--Spike