Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

ZR650 again or should i change???

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 09:58 PM
SQBassHead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZR650 again or should i change???

whats up guys, well i blew one of my JL ZR650-csi and tweeter, im out of warranty already (ive had them since 07 ) i love my ZR's and honestly i dont want to switch.. but hey who knows....lol.. (seas)

well im looking for any suggestions on what other comps you guys reccomend, theres a couple ive been thinking about but still iffy, speakers will be going in my kickpanels not the door,

im really looking for something to get loud and sound clean, midbass has to be there and it has to get loud enough to still shine from my 13w7.... you know what i mean,

now before you go posting that JL is a waste of money and start telling me your $100 speakers are better <<< urself....

ill be the first to tell you that these speakers are sensitive, if you have a half-A$$ install or youve HEARD a bunk install then OF COURSE YOU WILL SAY THEY SUCK.... BUT all advice is welcomed, just dont make a fool of yourself, especially if you have never heard properly installed and tuned ZR650's
they have lasted me this long.... and ppl who know me WILL TELL you I DONT BABY MY SYSTEM.... lol.. but i have tough skin so i welcome all you JL HATERS

music i listen too is mostly rap/hip hop, love sublime, like techno and rock, hell i even play some pysa shizz and country if im in the mood....lol.. oldies, pretty much everything, but mostly rap/hip hop, dub step,

SO what do you guys think??? Paul, travis, OC, Bing, kwame, heck i know we have some ppl that have good input.....lol... by the way it will be running off a PDX 4.150....

THANK YOU
SQBassHead

Last edited by SQBassHead; 02-05-2011 at 09:00 AM.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:01 AM
SQBassHead

Danm almost 300 views and not posts...lol
Old 02-06-2011, 08:18 AM
SQBassHead

Dang 350 views and NOT ONE post.....

Not even the Bandwagen "JL HATERS club" drop by for input, lol....
Old 02-06-2011, 03:59 PM
Rubidium

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have JL two 8w7, HD600/4, and HD750/1. I love JL amps and subs..........not a fan of the components. I'm currently getting a pair of Hertz Hi-energy HSK 165XL (they're truly the only thing that can handle the max continuous power out put of mine and your amp), I had a set of C5's and was disappointed.

Last edited by Rubidium; 02-06-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:58 AM
SQBassHead

Thank you, I have a pair of c5's also for the rear, they don't compare to the zr's .... But they are still going strong lol and I've had them just as long as the zr's...... so u still don't have ur hertz? Have u heard them or ur just going by reviews....

Thanks for the input bro

Last edited by SQBassHead; 02-07-2011 at 10:01 AM.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:32 AM
LuciaPwNs

speakers and especially tweeters blow.... especially when the volume is up high....buy them again and adjust your high frequencies to prolong the speakers life. or look for a speaker with a higher wattage handling. Remember you get what you pay for.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:05 PM
Nazar
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HIGH ENERGY or MILLE MLK2 is what I would recommend.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:36 PM
SQBassHead

Originally Posted by LuciaPwNs
speakers and especially tweeters blow.... especially when the volume is up high....buy them again and adjust your high frequencies to prolong the speakers life. or look for a speaker with a higher wattage handling. Remember you get what you pay for.
mmm... you did read my 1st thread right ... they lasted me 4yrs and i abused the shiiii out of them, IMO.. i dont think my tunning is wrong.... but thanks for your input.... and i know i get what i pay for.... that is why im not asking for low quality stuff.... i want some recomendations on MID-HIGH quality comps.... id put jl in the middle.... im still debating droping 1G on mids....
Originally Posted by Nazar
HIGH ENERGY or MILLE MLK2 is what I would recommend.
i replied to your pm
Old 02-07-2011, 03:28 PM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Price Range?

You plan on running the new speakers active or passive?
Old 02-07-2011, 06:04 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by SQBassHead
mmm... you did read my 1st thread right ... they lasted me 4yrs and i abused the shiiii out of them, IMO.. i dont think my tunning is wrong.... but thanks for your input.... and i know i get what i pay for.... that is why im not asking for low quality stuff.... i want some recomendations on MID-HIGH quality comps.... id put jl in the middle.... im still debating droping 1G on mids....

i replied to your pm
When you say: “and i abused the shiiii out of them”… Can you tell us exactly how did you abuse them?

That explanation will help us answer your question.

--Spike
Old 02-07-2011, 10:35 PM
SQBassHead

Price range starts were zr's - 1g give or take

By abuse I mean constantly playing it loud, depends on what mood I'm in, but usually it's pretty loud so I can hear it over my sub, and I just love to play my sub loud (but clean) I love to feel the diff. Bass notes and I want to hear ylthe words also.. So in general the highs go up also

Does that answer ur question spike, I LOVE my massage after a stressfull day at work....lol

But don't get me wrong, I even turn off the sub sometimes or put it really low, so I can just admire my speakers, some songs don't need the bass... U know what I mean. The speakers produce enough ... But it depend on the mood

Also they will be running active of course,just like have been,
finally I've got some reply's lol....

Thanks guys

Last edited by SQBassHead; 02-07-2011 at 10:38 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:57 PM
Spike100

Price range starts were zr's - 1g give or take […]
You are certainly in a high quality speaker range at that price. Four years isn’t a long time to expect flawless operation from this speaker. You will probably experience the same failure with a similar replacement if you use the new speakers as you have done with your previous ones. Environmental conditions (e.g., excessive cold, heat, moisture, etc.) can result in premature failure, but you live in a climate where this is not a factor.

[…] By abuse I mean constantly playing it loud, depends on what mood I'm in, but usually it's pretty loud so I can hear it over my sub, and I just love to play my sub loud (but clean) I love to feel the diff. Bass notes and I want to hear ylthe words also.. So in general the highs go up also

Does that answer ur question spike, […]
Yes it does answer my question. It takes a lot of pressure (i.e., loudness) to blow a high quality speaker (e.g., the JL Audio ZR650-Csi).

BTW: If you are blowing quality speakers, you are probably also doing some subtle damage to your hearing that may not exhibit for several years from now … just a thought.

[…] finally I've got some reply's lol....

Thanks guys
Don’t mention it… Glad to help.

--Spike
Old 02-08-2011, 02:18 PM
SQBassHead

Thank spike,

So since it will only be time before I blow the next set, I should just save my money and get some zr's again right? I was thinking the same thing also... Dang spike I thought 4yrs was long, I've seen some ppl last 2yrs tops, and to the hearing question , maybe that's why I keep wanting to go louder lol.... But I do think about my hearing but I figure I'd grow out of this phase (hopefully) lol
Old 02-08-2011, 03:20 PM
Spike100

^^ Yes, I would stay with the JL’s since you obviously like this speaker (especially at high volume).

I prefer Focal, but that’s just a personal preference for my listening that has nothing to do with better sound or durability. JL makes great speakers.

I would suggest backing-off on the volume a little. The bad thing here is high volume causes the filaments in your hearing mechanism to thicken and stiffen, reducing your hearing’s ability to differentiate tones. It’s a progressive and accumulative loss (each occurrence adds a little more to the already existing damage). Worst of all, it is not reversible. Once it’s compromised, it never comes back (i.e., it does not heal itself). You never recapture hearing once you lose some of it.

--Spike
Old 02-08-2011, 03:43 PM
SQBassHead

Thanks for the info spike
Old 02-08-2011, 04:21 PM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

My pick for your scenario...

http://www.woofersetc.com/p-8252-hyb...nt-system.aspx

Yes, I'm admittedly a Morel fanboi.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:07 PM