Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Need help, going from none bose to bose system

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 02:00 PM
Tanman1986
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help, going from none bose to bose system

Im trying to upgrade my stock none bose system to bose system, mainly upgrade the head unit to the bose and add the bose sub. I dont want any other system (after market) the bose will be enough for me. So with that being said, what all will i need to buy to do this, other then the bose head unit, sub and amp? do i need to buy the bose wiring harness? and if so, where can i buy one. Thanks
Old 04-16-2011, 02:09 PM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

I would suggest checking with a dealer. It would probably be a lot cheaper to go aftermarket and I suspect it would sound a lot better.
Old 04-16-2011, 03:03 PM
drivessidewayz

^^
Old 04-16-2011, 03:53 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Woofer amplifier
Woofer
Speaker amplifier
Old 04-16-2011, 08:06 PM
Mcutali

Default re

ive got the bose amp from the trunk for sale.... i blew the subwoofer amp. sub is sold, have the original bose head unit as well. pm me.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:35 AM
Tanman1986
Banned

Originally Posted by Mcutali
ive got the bose amp from the trunk for sale.... i blew the subwoofer amp. sub is sold, have the original bose head unit as well. pm me.
The head unit does me no good without the wiring harness, as far as ive read, the bose and the non bose use two diff wiring harnesses.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:15 AM
=Cerberus=

Originally Posted by Tanman1986
The head unit does me no good without the wiring harness, as far as ive read, the bose and the non bose use two diff wiring harnesses.
You are correct, the wiring is different. I would just go aftermarket, I know it is not what you want, but the end result will be better and most likely cheaper.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:08 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Im trying to upgrade my stock none bose system to bose system, mainly upgrade the head unit to the bose and add the bose sub. I dont want any other system (after market) the bose will be enough for me. So with that being said, what all will i need to buy to do this, other then the bose head unit, sub and amp? do i need to buy the bose wiring harness? and if so, where can i buy one. Thanks
The only reason to take a non-Bose Z to a Bose setup is that so many people remove the Bose components you may be able to get these free.

But, if many owners remove the Bose system (and its wiring) for non-Bose, and spend $$’s doing this; you have to question if going to a Bose system is wise. Bose is a system (and not individual components) that works best by installing all Bose with wiring specific to Bose.

I can tell you that the stock Bose system is disappointing when comparing this to aftermarket systems that cost much less and provide more versatility.

--Spike
Old 04-17-2011, 07:41 PM
Shizzmaster2k

I have one question......WHY?
Old 04-18-2011, 09:30 AM
350zspl
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

spending time and money going from non-bose to bose is an exercise in futility

no highs, no lows = bose

both routes suck

if what you have now is working i would leave it

and if you want to improve what you have bose is not the way

ask any 350z owner if they like their bose system
Old 04-21-2011, 02:51 PM
abretz89

As a recent Bose dumper I can certainly say its worthless. Bose makes good products they just didnt put one of them in our cars. Just last weekend I swapped my Bose headunit for an avic-x920 and it's ridiculous how much more I got out of the Bose speakers by simply playing with the EQ settings. It's not superb SQ but a vast improvement. If you asked around enough you'll probly find someone who has taking their wiring harness out but the hassle of re-wiring your car would most likely not be worth the quality you'll get from the system. You also run the risk of having the headunit crap out on you shortly after getting it since the Bose have been known to eventually give you a "Check Disk" error and permanently lose the ability to read disks in the 6-disk changer and your back to getting a new headunit anyway.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:00 PM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The bose blose. Do not spend a penny doing this. In fact, don't do it unless someone offers you a steak dinner for them to do all of the work for you and provide the equipment. The cheapest setup that you could find at pepboys would be better (I'm not recommending that either).

Just find a reasonable local car stereo shop and let them put in a nice aftermarket head unit and speakers that fit your taste/preference. It will be less expensive than a dealership swap and will be much better quality sound.

If you're wanting some bass/subwoofer, there are several boxes you can buy to put a sub behind the seat with a small amp. You do NOT want the blose sub - it suxors.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:24 PM
ou8thisSN

i will go ahead and defend the bose system here. The mids and highs sound fine. You cant crank it up to ear splitting levels, but you can turn it up very high and not worry about the speakers crackling.

another reason to want a stock radio is if you simply dont like how an aftermarket system conflicts with the aesthetics of the car design. I know in my maxima when I put in an apline system, I didnt like how it didnt match the colors/lights of my car. All aftermarket systems stick out like sore thumbs.

Really the only thing lacking is the bass. The bose subwoofer thats in the 350z is practically non existent.. that is really the only problem with the sound system in the car. The bose in our 1997 maxima has better bass than mine, and thats without a subwoofer.

Anyway, depending on what you listen to the bass thing may not be an issue. If you listen to just the radio, the bass the bose puts out is just fine. In all other caes, you really should consider another subwoofer instead of the stock one they have. But I would say that is the biggest downside to putting in a bose system in this car. Unless you have all the speakers already and know how to wire it yourself, its not worth it getting bose, because you will get frustrated with the performance of the subwoofer. On that regard, I agree with the other posters here that you could put together a comparable aftermarket system for prolly $500-600.

Last edited by ou8thisSN; 04-26-2011 at 01:35 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:15 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

^^ Thanks for contributing accurate information on this thread.

You cannot directly compare the Bose system in Nissan’s Z to Bose installations in other automobiles. The components are quite different; the Z’s Bose system being the lowest level.

There is no good reason to swap-out a Clarion stock CES for a Bose CES in a Nissan Z. The project is expensive, and the yield is marginal, and provides little gain. Doing this is a “Fool’s Errand.”

--Spike
Old 04-28-2011, 08:02 PM
Tanman1986
Banned

Originally Posted by Spike100
^^ Thanks for contributing accurate information on this thread.

You cannot directly compare the Bose system in Nissan’s Z to Bose installations in other automobiles. The components are quite different; the Z’s Bose system being the lowest level.

There is no good reason to swap-out a Clarion stock CES for a Bose CES in a Nissan Z. The project is expensive, and the yield is marginal, and provides little gain. Doing this is a “Fool’s Errand.”

--Spike
Well F***K a Duck! im just shiz out of luck. The whole idea behind all of this is that my stock base CD player will not eject my dang CD that in it, so i was wanting to upgrade to the bose just because i wanted to keep the stock look of the sound system. I hate after market CD players and so fourth, + if i added the bose system it would increase the car value by about $300 according to NADA.com Not a whole lot but hey, its better then nothing. Oh well, looks like i will just replace the broke one with another stock base Head unit and just hook up a IPod to it and i will go ahead and put a Sub and a AMP in the Bose sub-woofer location to give it a little more bass and still keep the factory system look that iam going for
Old 04-29-2011, 09:17 AM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well F***K a Duck! im just shiz out of luck. The whole idea behind all of this is that my stock base CD player will not eject my dang CD that in it, so i was wanting to upgrade to the bose just because i wanted to keep the stock look of the sound system. I hate after market CD players and so fourth, + if i added the bose system it would increase the car value by about $300 according to NADA.com Not a whole lot but hey, its better then nothing. Oh well, looks like i will just replace the broke one with another stock base Head unit and just hook up a IPod to it and i will go ahead and put a Sub and a AMP in the Bose sub-woofer location to give it a little more bass and still keep the factory system look that iam going for
Yes. If you want the stock look, just do that. That will be much better than the Bose swap, since switching to a Bose isn't just a plug-n-play swap. And I'm not sure that "getting something to work" or adding a component to your car that wasn't on the original sticker purchase will pay out in real life with a higher resale/trade-in value?

I am also picky about what a new head unit does to the "look" of the car, so I'm going with one of the double-din touch screen head units that fills the whole factory radio space. I don't like the way that the single DIN units only take up half the space, have weird color schemes and button styles that don't match the rest of the car, etc. I am getting one without navigation, which makes it very affordable, but it still has bluetooth, ipod integration, etc., so it is an upgrade, but doesn't distract from the flow of the interior.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:41 AM
kno

Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

http://www.courtesyparts.com/

i hope this helps