dingobiatch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Redo'ing my sound system.

My current setup:

JL CSi VR 650 Front Components
(stock rears)
Alpine MRV-F345 Amp
Alpine iDA-x305 Headunit

First, my front right speaker blew out somehow, and then after that was kicked in accidentally because I left the grill off when I was testing what happened with it, and a friend rode in the car. Stupid, I know. But, regardless.

I called JL, it cost $100 to replace the one speaker (no warranty left). So, I'm thinking of replacing the front speakers all together. I had to build a shitty spacer to fit the current VR 650s (which I did a horrible job with, and one spacer is now cracked). If I am going to buy new components, I want to find ones that fit without needing to build a spacer. Any suggestions?

Secondly, I want to add a sub now. I have 300 watts from the Alpine Amp when using channels 3+4 in bridged mode. Is this enough to power a decent sub? I was looking at the JL Audio 10W1v2-4 sub, which needs 300w..

Thanks for the help!
Old 10-10-2012, 02:51 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 413 Likes on 236 Posts

they all require a spacer unless youd like to buy antoher wafer thin OEM POS speaker.
Your door glass comes in too close, they sell spacers pre made, just buy a set.

as long as your not running rear speakers off that amp, that sub would be fine.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:23 PM
Looch

http://www.zenclosures.com/Nissan-In...infinitisp.htm
Old 10-12-2012, 08:13 PM
Tackett

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I made some spacers for mine, but I eventually just bought the wicked CAS pods which give you muuuch better projection.

I dunno about the other years, but I know the 03 factory "speaker grills" aren't grills at all. They are solid pieces of plastic that just look like they have holes in them. So don't forget to drill them out. I saw a couple guys back in the day dremel out the inside of the OEM grills leaving an outside ring, and stretching speaker cloth over it. That's always a good option.

The other problem mounting in the factory spot is that the door panel will cover half the speaker unless you cut up the door frame and physically move the mount forward. The closer forward you move the speaker, the more you will need to space it though.

It's really a pain to get a decent speaker in there. Too far back and the magnet will hit the window when you roll it down.
Too far forward and the speaker excursion will smack against the door panel.

The wicked CAS pods are about a million times easier.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:10 AM
dingobiatch

Hm. Not opposed. How hard are they to install?
Old 10-13-2012, 02:16 AM
Tackett

A cinch.

The back of them is open and has a flange around it. I drilled a hole through the door panel and flange and bolted it in 4 places. Been solid ever since.

I would suggest bolting and glueing though for added support and to keep the vibration between the door and the pod to a minimum. Mine doesn't vibrate much, but at very high volumes it starts too.

Gluing and bolting would eliminate this.

Oh and keep a lot of slack and use a quick release on the speaker wire so you can remove the door panel in the future if you have too. I made that mistake too.

Last edited by Tackett; 10-13-2012 at 02:18 AM.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:53 AM
dingobiatch

Interesting! I'll check it out then..

What kind of bolts did you use? And where is the cheapest place to get the pods, from the Wicked website?
Old 10-13-2012, 05:48 AM
Tackett

I've seen them on fleabay from time to time at a good price. But truthfully, the wickedcas company sells them new at a really good price for what you get. Mine are vinyl wrapped. But they will give them to you raw to finish how you want.

As far as bolts, I can't really recall, I got them from the Home Depot. You don't need anything huge.

Last edited by Tackett; 10-13-2012 at 05:50 AM.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:48 AM
beezee

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

I made mine and really love the difference it makes. However if you are not someone with
some fiberglassing experience you are better off buying from them. Too much work.
The advantage I got by making them was the ability to shape them slightly different
Also my Infinity Kappa grills were slightly wider than the opening in the WickedCas ones
(I verified that from them). Modifying them could lead to cosmetic defaults
A lot of guys claim they are not necessay and I aggree with that. However, once you install them you can make your own judgement based on the difference in sound quality.
Get the sound you pay for. Don't burry them in the stock location
Old 10-13-2012, 09:49 AM
Tackett

They aren't necessary but I don't really understand dumping thousands of dollars into a sound system and burying your good speakers in the stock location.

If you don't buy pods, this is likely going to be your install steps:

1: most new speakers need spaced.
2: they are a bear to get spaced correctly.
3: even when you do space them correctly, half the speaker is covered up by the door panel.
4: so you move the speaker forward only to find out that its more shallow there and you need to space it out MORE.
5: you space it out and install the factory "grills", only to realize the factory grills don't actually have any holes in them.
6: so you drill out the holes, one by one while cussing Nissan.
7: you install the grills and crank your now completed stereo and realize that moving the speaker forward so half of it wasnt covered and subsequently spacing it out more, the speaker has been mounted so far out that the excursion now slaps the grill and makes a quite wonderful fart sound.
8: you buy speaker pods and wonder why you didn't do it in the first place.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:39 AM
beezee

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

That was exactly my point. You can get by without them but they are GOOD TO HAVE. Even better are kick panels. But again guys have undertaken huge audio upgrades without them and they are satisfied with their investment
Old 10-13-2012, 10:58 AM
Tackett

true.

I just put my tweets in the stock kick panels and it worked out nice. thought I would have to build something to direct them better, but it sounded nice without it.

Its all in what you do with it.