Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Tweeters in door panels ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 08:14 AM
Diggles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tweeters in door panels ?

So i got some alpine spr-60c components and when i read about them it said 1" silk dome tweeter , so i thought they would go in the sails , ... When they showed up the whole tweeter assembly was alot bigger and after holding the flush mount up to the sail theyre obviously not gonna go there , ive been searching and searching and searching and most of the tweeter mounts ive seen have been on the a pillars with some custom fiberglass done , ive never done fiberglass and i dont feel like its the best time to learn . So the places im consideting are the kick panel and the door panel right under the air vent , my questions are does anyone know if they will fit there on the door panel , i havent seen the backside yet , and does anyone have any tips im really nervous about cutting into the door panel but replacement panels are only like 80 bucks ... And has anyonr installed in kick panels and how did it sound
Old 07-17-2013, 08:25 AM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

You could always wire them up and place them at various locations by listening to them before you mount. Once you find a location that you're pleased with use a corresponding circular drill bit to flush mount them anywhere you please. I wouldn't go by opinions without hearing them for myself since everyone's system is different.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:17 AM
Diggles

Yeah i can dig it honestley im dpretty commited to the door panel unless they just wont fit cause the compibents have a weird in line crossover so putting them anywhere else means running 4 peices of 14 gauge through the doors wiring harness instead of two and im already nervous about that , i guess my main question is all the write ups and pictures ive seen of taking off the door panel havent shown the back side of the actual panel itself so i was curious about clearance the tweeter mounts about 1 1/4 inch deep and 1 1/2 inch around and i was hoping to mount it right under the air vent so i was wondering if anyone whos pulled it off knows if theres space there , im still gonna tape something there and put the panel on to check if it fits , i just wanna know if i need to have a plan b ready , also i think im gonna do a write up with pictures since i couldnt really find one
Old 07-17-2013, 04:56 PM
Collin Lacy

I have my tweets in the kick panels. They sound really good. Then again I also have my mids rights next to them so that might have something to do with it. You CAN take apart the tweeter enclosure and mount them behind the sail panel. I did it when I had the type-Rs.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:04 PM
Diggles

Yeah i thought about that but looking at the sails it didnt look like much sound would get through that little plastic grille or whatever its called cause its almost all plastic with just a few holes in it , how did it sound when you had it inside the sail ?
Old 07-18-2013, 03:51 PM
Diggles

Bump... Question about space behind door panel never answered
Old 07-19-2013, 11:17 AM
Diggles

Bump , doing install tomorrow anyone know if theres room under the vent behind the door panel ?
Old 07-19-2013, 03:37 PM
Collin Lacy

Sounded like **** lol. Then again I didn't really like the Type-Rs when they were in the kicks either. I think for those doing a pillar install for the tweets and door pods for the mids would be the best setup.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:37 PM
wrecker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FYI
that type r tweeter plastic housing can be spun off.. and u can fit the tweeter in the stock location no problem.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:53 PM
Diggles

I know it was still big and bulky though , i ended up just mounting them in the door panels , they came out looking and sounding great , id post pics if i could figure out how :-\
Old 08-06-2013, 05:29 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Glad to hear the door panels worked for you. If your door panel install allows positioning that accomplishes directional control, it should work well.

The A-Pillar or Kicks are the best position, but either requires more work than installing in the door panel.

BTW: You are wise avoiding the stock sail panel.

--Spike
Old 08-06-2013, 09:04 PM
Diggles

Yeah it was scary drilling into em , and for anyone else who chooses to do this I would advise using a box knife and cutting through the vinyl wrap on the door a hole saw wants to chew that stuff up , somehow I got lucky on the first one and didn't chew it up bad enough the swivel mount couldn't hide it
Old 08-18-2013, 04:53 PM
Diggles

Finally got pictures , love how it came out

Tweeters in door panels ?-fhmkarp.jpg

Tweeters in door panels ?-jadsnvz.jpg

Tweeters in door panels ?-fyltdyv.jpg
Old 08-18-2013, 05:17 PM
DarkCreep

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

They look alright there, im glad they sound great for you.

You couldnt spin the base and put them in the sail? I like OE looking installs and im looking into tweeters soon. I might drill the holes out a little larger though for sound.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:41 PM
Diggles

If i put them in the sails the swivel mounts would have been to bug and the lips would hang over i could have stealth mounted them in the sails but i was worriwd they would sound like crap through the really solid plastic grills the stock tweets are behind
Old 08-20-2013, 04:50 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

You made the right decision for the correct reasons. I applaud your great logic. You are correct when you say: "i could have stealth mounted them in the sails but i was [sic] worriwd they would sound like crap.

--Spike

Originally Posted by Diggles
If i put them in the sails the swivel mounts would have been to bug and the lips would hang over i could have stealth mounted them in the sails but i was worriwd they would sound like crap through the really solid plastic grills the stock tweets are behind
Old 08-20-2013, 11:17 PM
rebelscum

Originally Posted by Spike100
You made the right decision for the correct reasons. I applaud your great logic. You are correct when you say: "i could have stealth mounted them in the sails but i was [sic] worriwd they would sound like crap.

--Spike

Had mine in the sails for a month now and, yeah, they sounded horrible. I just modded my sails today and cut a HUGE hole in each of them and mounted my tweets kinda far back into the hole... Then I wrapped the ENTIRE sail in black grill cloth and reinstalled them. So now my sails almost look like the ones in the base model (no little holes showing) and they are acoustically transparent. Works very well actually and looks stock.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:58 AM
Diggles

So the base models dont have tweets in the sails , so i could get base model sails and delete the old tweet location holes ?
Old 08-25-2013, 02:53 PM
twistiert

I actually really like the way tweeters turned out! How is the sound quality?
Old 08-25-2013, 03:39 PM
Diggles

It sounds really good except for all the rattle from the subs coming from the back , i gotta invest in some dynamat or something

Quick Reply: Tweeters in door panels ?