Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

wiring to battery. dashcam

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 09:05 PM
JDMStanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default wiring to battery. dashcam

I'm planning to install my Dashcam directly to the battery.
I'm not much educated in electric related stuff so i should ask before i do it.
Is it ok to expose the end of a wire (the hard wiring kit is for dashcam so i assume the wire is for 5V or 12v?), loosen the nut on battery positive end and stick the bare red wire underneath the nut and tighten it?
a little worried that the wire might get hot and cause fire..

This is what i have.
Amazon.com : Dash Camera Vehicle Hard Wire Kit - Mini USB Compatible with G1w / G1w-C / G1WH / GT680W / Mini 0801 / Mobius Action Spy Tec Camera and More | Car DVR Camera Recorder Dashboard Dashcam | Black Box Video Recorder | : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Dash Camera Vehicle Hard Wire Kit - Mini USB Compatible with G1w / G1w-C / G1WH / GT680W / Mini 0801 / Mobius Action Spy Tec Camera and More | Car DVR Camera Recorder Dashboard Dashcam | Black Box Video Recorder | : Car Electronics
Old 11-08-2015, 01:30 AM
padilla03z

no that is a terrible idea. if you just put it on the battery exposed it will come out, u need a connector on the end of the wire first off. second is if u plug something directly in to the battery itll drain your battery when your car is off. what you need to do is either take it to a shop or soilder the wire onto another wire that is only hot when the key is in.
Old 11-08-2015, 01:58 AM
JDMStanced

Originally Posted by padilla03z
no that is a terrible idea. if you just put it on the battery exposed it will come out, u need a connector on the end of the wire first off. second is if u plug something directly in to the battery itll drain your battery when your car is off. what you need to do is either take it to a shop or soilder the wire onto another wire that is only hot when the key is in.
The link i posted is the hardwiring kit that prevents from draining battery. Atcertain voltage drop, power cuts off and power off the dashcam.
Do you by any chance have a pic of how the red wire should be connected to battery positive post?
Old 11-08-2015, 03:27 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,062 Likes on 750 Posts

Use an O-ring to connect the wire to the battery terminal post. Something like this:

Name:  electrical-connector-380881.jpg
Views: 1257
Size:  10.9 KB

Whenever wiring to the battery, you should probably use an inline fuse. Like this:

The wire shouldn't get too hot and melt as long as you're using the proper gauge for the accessory's power requirements.

Here is a pic of an amp install off google that is not specific to our cars, but you should get the idea:

Old 11-08-2015, 07:13 AM
padilla03z

sorry i dont click links anymore casue of so many viruses out there. you can try that then if it has a safety for it.
Old 11-08-2015, 07:53 AM
JDMStanced

Thx for the detail post.
Hmm.. Inline fuse..the hardwire kit description doesnt say anything about inline fuse. It just says simple installation using two wires.
Kinda sounds like as long as i put the wires in correct places then i wouldnt have to worry about burning fuses or any electric parts..

I did some research and didnt find ppl saying about inline fuse. So im thinking if its necessary..

"proper gauge for the accessory's power requirements"
Can i ask for a favor? Could you go take a look at the kit description and tell me if its has the proper gauge for the accessorys pwr requirement?

Originally Posted by Heel Til I Die
Use an O-ring to connect the wire to the battery terminal post. Something like this:

Whenever wiring to the battery, you should probably use an inline fuse. Like this:

The wire shouldn't get too hot and melt as long as you're using the proper gauge for the accessory's power requirements.

Here is a pic of an amp install off google that is not specific to our cars, but you should get the idea:

Last edited by JDMStanced; 11-08-2015 at 07:56 AM.
Old 11-08-2015, 10:58 AM
sportbiketed

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Just military splice into the cig socket wires
Old 11-08-2015, 01:39 PM
Heel Til I Die

Just looked at the Amazon link. It already has a 3 amp inline fuse in it (the black cylinder) so you won't need another one. Output is only 5v and 1.5 amps which is pretty low. I bet you'd be fine running anything 24 gauge or larger but I did not calculate the exact voltage drop. If you want to be exact Google search voltage drop calculator but it's probably unnecessary given the low power requirements.

If it were me, I would not run it to the battery but instead use a fuse tap and run it to something that only gets power when your car is on.

Like this:

To look like this:
Old 11-08-2015, 02:02 PM
JDMStanced

Thank you!!

I think the voltage should drop to 11.6 before cutting off pwr. Leaving about 25% battery life till empty?

I actually want it to run 24/7 like surveillance camera. Hoping that this kit is effective.

Just looked at the Amazon link. It already has a 3 amp inline fuse in it (the black cylinder) so you won't need another one. Output is only 5v and 1.5 amps which is pretty low. I bet you'd be fine running anything 24 gauge or larger but I did not calculate the exact voltage drop. If you want to be exact Google search voltage drop calculator but it's probably unnecessary given the low power requirements.

If it were me, I would not run it to the battery but instead use a fuse tap and run it to something that only gets power when your car is on.

Like this:

To look like this:
Old 11-08-2015, 02:14 PM
Heel Til I Die

Ah, well if that's the case then you can either go directly to the battery or there should be a fuse that's still hot when the car is off. I think there should be an audio fuse that's always hot. Look on the fuse panel diagram for anything with "bat" on it as opposed to "acc" or "ign"
Old 11-14-2015, 05:14 PM
JDMStanced

Ah, well if that's the case then you can either go directly to the battery or there should be a fuse that's still hot when the car is off. I think there should be an audio fuse that's always hot. Look on the fuse panel diagram for anything with "bat" on it as opposed to "acc" or "ign"
i went directly to battery. Only one problem is that the cable is little short.
Cigarette-Mini usb cable.
So i'm thinking, is it ok to use a cable extender like this one?
Amazon.com: Your Cable Store USB Female A To USB Mini Female B 5 Pin Adapter: Computers & Accessories Amazon.com: Your Cable Store USB Female A To USB Mini Female B 5 Pin Adapter: Computers & Accessories
Or do i have to extend the power wire itself?
It'll be easier for me to route the cable if i get the extender rather than extending wires.
Old 11-14-2015, 05:50 PM
Italianjoe1

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

If you run the battery down to 11.6 reguarly, the car won't start at times and battery life will be horrendous.

A fully charged battery is 12.6V, and discharged is at about 12.0.

11.6 might not be enough to start the car, the amperage is so diminished at that level.
Old 11-14-2015, 06:13 PM
JDMStanced

Originally Posted by Italianjoe1
If you run the battery down to 11.6 reguarly, the car won't start at times and battery life will be horrendous.

A fully charged battery is 12.6V, and discharged is at about 12.0.

11.6 might not be enough to start the car, the amperage is so diminished at that level.
i actually bought a Multisafer which can be set to 12 or 12.2v or other voltage before pwr cut off.
I set it to 12.2v right now or pwr cut off after 6 hours.