FairladyZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lots of pics!
Old 03-07-2004, 01:48 PM
KPierson
Banned

Well, we did it!!!!

Today Scott (Stopgo) and I installed my window mod in his '03 350Z. His is the second vehicle to receive this mod (my G35 is the other). Boards are being made as we speak, and I hope to have 30 ready to go in the next 2 weeks. After that, it will be a few weeks before the next batch is ready, as I have to order more custom printed circuit boards. I never realized how much time and effort goes into this stuff!!!!

Kevin
Old 03-07-2004, 01:49 PM
Abomination

WOOT!, glad it works on the Z, cant wait till your ready to start shipping some out
Old 03-07-2004, 01:58 PM
Jspec350z

Add me to the list also!! Sweet Idea!!
Old 03-07-2004, 03:52 PM
dbsinc

Default Add me

Add me to the list
Old 03-07-2004, 07:31 PM
stopgo

Kevin has done an outstanding job with this thing. I'll post some pics soon, but first I've gotta recover from a *very* long weekend (and Kevin, thanks for being such an excellent host to my girlfriend and me).

Impressions of the mod:

- The form factor and ease of installation alone make this thing impressive (never mind how daggone cool the features are). The board measures about 2" by 2" and wires directly into the driver's side window controls on the door (only one board is required to operate the functions on both doors). Kevin had to tweak the programming several times to get all of the functions to work properly, but seeing as how he (apparently) travels with a fully-equipped EE lab this wasn't a big deal.

- Functions include the ability to put both windows up with the OEM remote, and an auto-door lock feature upon ignition. Some of you might decide to disable the auto-lock function (very easy to do with the OEM remote) until someone devises a mod to allow auto-unlock from the inside of the car when the door handle is pulled. Either that, or you'll have to get used to manually unlocking the doors before opening the door from the inside.

- Installation was a snap. The initial version of this was mounted in a heavily-modified kit box from Radio Shack, so don't be disuaded by the photos. Kevin assures me that some more aesthetically pleasing solution will be worked out soon. All of the factory wiring that you'll be required to tap into is easily accessible with the driver's side door panel and front speaker removed. I'd guess that install time for the final product will be less than an hour (we spent about three hours simply due to the cautious approach to a beta install on my vehicle, taking photos, and Kevin making on-the-fly programming changes).

In summary, all I can say is

Again, Kevin, great job! I'm thoroughly pleased.

Scott
Old 03-07-2004, 07:37 PM
stopgo

One more thing!... I'll be happy to demonstrate Kevin's work this weekend (Mar. 13th) at the East Coast Z Meet being hosted by Evolution Autosports.

Scott
Old 03-07-2004, 07:49 PM
KPierson
Banned

Thanks Scott, it was my pleasure!

A few notes: The igniton controlled door locking will work without modifying the door locking/handle IF you disable the RAP system. (its late so I'll leave it at that)
However, as of right now the code is disabled in the circuit for the unlock, and another wire has to be added to the board and connected inside the door. If people are interested in this feature I can include the wire and software on the board when they order it.

As far as modifying the said mechanisms what needs to be done is add the ability to pull on the inside door handle and have it unlock the door as it pulls out (like the G35).

I ordered boxes today!!! No more cutting Radio Shack project boxes with my 18vdc sawzall!!!!

As I do travel a lot I have taken on a partner for this project that is going to be my 'front office.' He is going to be responsible for order taking, shipping, and he is also going to put together a web page with more info. We are meeting for lunch this Saturday and then I'll have more info.

Thanks again for your interest!
Kevin
Old 03-08-2004, 04:27 AM
onecoolee

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Kevin,
Please let us know when these are ready and how you are going to handle the demand....I am sure you can go through this thread and find at least 30 buyers already. I should be on the list, and I think I originally posted back on page 2 of this thread.

So, let us know when you are ready to ship and what our payment options are (Paypal ?).

Thanks, and I am looking forward to this mod !
Old 03-08-2004, 05:20 AM
KPierson
Banned

Preferred payment method is Paypal, but personal checks will be accepted. The first order will consist of only 20 units and once they are gone I will order more custom printed circuit boards. I will be selling them on a first come, first serve basis because I don't really have time to look through all the threads and make a list. I will post a thread on the G35driver.com forum at least 24 hours in advance of when we will open orders up. I am in the process of having a website set up and I'm not sure how we will do the orders, but, they will most likely be through the website. I'll post more when I know more. This is a lot of damn work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(But, well worth it cuz I love these cars!)

Kevin

Originally posted by onecoolee
Kevin,
Please let us know when these are ready and how you are going to handle the demand....I am sure you can go through this thread and find at least 30 buyers already. I should be on the list, and I think I originally posted back on page 2 of this thread.

So, let us know when you are ready to ship and what our payment options are (Paypal ?).

Thanks, and I am looking forward to this mod !
Old 03-08-2004, 12:21 PM
jreiter

Fantastic! I love to see these kinds of technical mods happening. Definitely count me in on a purchase.

One question for you: (I don't recall if it's been asked already in this thread.)

Is there a plan to add functionality which allows the unlocking of *all* doors with a single button press on the keyfob? I don't like having to press the unlock button on they keyfob numerous times to get the passenger door to unlock. Seems like two presses never does it, so I just keep repeatedly pressing it 4 or 5 times. Even then, I know it doesn't always work because my girlfriend gives me the evil-eye as I get into the car and she's still locked out on her side.

I've just never understood this mentality where you need to hit the unlock button multiple times to unlock all the doors. My Audi was the same way, but fortunately it could be reconfigured via an OBDII tool.
Old 03-08-2004, 06:31 PM
stopgo

Okay, kids... as promised, here are some photos of the equipment and the install:

(1) The controller board, in all its massive glory:
Attached Thumbnails Window Roll up with OEM remote-mod-overview.jpg  
Old 03-08-2004, 06:37 PM
stopgo

Here, you'll see the module wired directly into the window controls for the driver's side door. Interestingly (strangely?), this single module will control the windows on both doors. Kevin will provide wiring instructions for your unit, but keep in mind that there is a single, purple wire that you'll need to tap into and it is accessible only by removing the speaker in the driver's side door.
Attached Thumbnails Window Roll up with OEM remote-wired-into-harness.jpg  
Old 03-08-2004, 06:42 PM
stopgo

The speaker is remounted, and the door panel is back on. Here you'll see the module being tucked away under the arm rest. There's *plenty* of room under there to get it completely out of the way (on my Z, this module even shares room with a BA crossover). Kevin would prefer that you to ignore the... um... "creative use" of a Radio Shack project box. He has plans to ensure that production units will be housed in something much more aesthetically pleasing and weather-resistant (remember, folks, this particular module is just a beta unit).
Attached Thumbnails Window Roll up with OEM remote-just-about-done.jpg  
Old 03-08-2004, 06:54 PM
stopgo

Okay, so three photos don't really explain the entire installation or just how easy it is. We toyed around with some stuff, and Kevin had to do several on-the-fly programming adjustments to the controller chip. But these photos are simply meant to give an idea of the size and installation requirements involved.

A rough estimation of tools, materials and such:

- 1 to 1.5 hours
- 10mm and 11mm socket and wrench/driver
- Phillips screwdriver
- Flat screwdriver
- 5 ft. spare 18-22 gauge wire (especially if you've got fat hands)
- Solder gun and solder
- Electrical tape
- Heat shrink wrap (if you're so inclined... we didn't use it, and that doesn't bother me)

I've posted the above pics and several others at Yahoo! to avoid eating up too much of my350z.com's bandwidth. Permissions should make those pics viewable by anyone...

OEM Remote/Window Roll-Up Mod Photos
Old 03-08-2004, 07:28 PM
KPierson
Banned

Hmmm.... Did I mention that I found and ordered enclosures already? I got an Email today saying they shipped today! No more using angel grinders and sawzalls to make things 'work.' The module can be screwed to the door to secure it, but, we chose to just 'tuck' it because that way it is easy to remove and update the programming of the microcontroller. The on the fly programming changes were related to a safety feature I integrated into the system that would allow you to cancel the window roll up command by pressing the 'lock' button while the windows were commanded to go up. For some reason this feature did not work in the Z. I added the programming for this after I installed it in my car, so I'm not even sure if that feature works in the G. I have built a simulator that emulates how the car's computer works and everything works on my simulator. I carry a lot of tools with me when I travel, but I didn't bring my o'scope. As soon as I get home I'll hook up my o'scope and see what the deal is and figure out how to fix it. babble babble babble!

Kevin
Old 03-08-2004, 07:40 PM
KingWazir

Add me in. How much?
Old 03-08-2004, 07:49 PM
KingWazir

I re-read your post above. I'm not sure what you mean by 'first come, first serve basis', but I was one of the first to request this. (Number 8, I think) I have been watching this thread closely since then. Just let me know when they are ready to ship!
Old 03-09-2004, 04:19 PM
silverstoneTT

whats the cost of this expected to be?
Old 03-09-2004, 07:59 PM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice. I need one of these.

Here are some other ideas for you. . .I have the logic worked out if you are interested. I dont have time to pursue them myself.

Power mirror auto lower - When putting car into reverse, mirror lowers to show curbs, etc then put mirrors back once gear is removed from reverse

TCS/ VDC reverse state - defaults to off turns on when pressed

Quick Reply: Window Roll up with OEM remote