Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Need advice on hidden sub/under seat sub?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2020, 04:43 PM
Bmsluite

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Need advice on hidden sub/under seat sub?

07 350z no Bose

Already have:

Android auto pioneer unit
4 infinity woofer/tweeters
Alpine 4 channel amp

What I want:

To fill in the lows. To keep ALL my cargo space. I do a lot of road trips with my girl and we have a lot of hobbies so we pack in a lot of stuff
​​​​​
Missing the bass I used to have. I had an Alpine 12" in a ported box with an Alpine 600w sub.

I have my 4 channel under the passenger seat but that's on 2.25" high. I can't seem to find an underseat sub that's under 2.6". Has anyone found one that fits under the driver's seat?

Does anyone have any other clever locations for a small sub or underseat sub?

I am considering cutting out the panel behind the drivers seat to fit something like shown in the attached picture. I would just secure it to a piece of MDF and then that to the metal behind there. Or am I better off fitting a 10" in the blank factory location with an amp behind it?

Not trying to spend a ton of money but if I can do it cleverly for a decent price then I'm game. Also, I get free wire, connections, and all electrical equipment since I'm an electrical technician by trade.

Old 07-07-2020, 05:57 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,263 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Since you’ll need power for the sub, consider an amp under the seat feeding an enclosed box inside cavity behind the driver seat (where Bose sub normally resides).

Or, what I did to replace a sub I mistakenly installed at the Bose location, bought a self contained powered sub for install in the cavity.
Old 07-07-2020, 06:00 PM
Bmsluite

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Since you’ll need power for the sub, consider an amp under the seat feeding an enclosed box inside cavity behind the driver seat (where Bose sub normally resides).

Or, what I did to replace a sub I mistakenly installed at the Bose location, bought a self contained powered sub for install in the cavity.
I must not be following correctly. Did you cut out that piece of sheet metal behind the drivers seat to put an enclosure back there?
Old 07-07-2020, 07:47 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by Bmsluite
I must not be following correctly. Did you cut out that piece of sheet metal behind the drivers seat to put an enclosure back there?
Nope, after removing all the panels (plastic) on the side, the top crossover piece (with the "gloveboxes") the front cover, console for wiring, etc. You'll have access to the dozen or something panel bolts. Once removed, you can just store the piece or toss it. Once the sub is in, you can either just put the plastic lift off cover back on or get yourself a Bose panel to "free" the bass.
Old 07-08-2020, 04:00 AM
Bmsluite

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Nope, after removing all the panels (plastic) on the side, the top crossover piece (with the "gloveboxes") the front cover, console for wiring, etc. You'll have access to the dozen or something panel bolts. Once removed, you can just store the piece or toss it. Once the sub is in, you can either just put the plastic lift off cover back on or get yourself a Bose panel to "free" the bass.
Gotcha. I didn't realize that metal panel came off. What powered sub did you end up going with? Curious as to dimensions so I can find something that fits. Having a contained sub seems a much better idea to me.
Old 07-08-2020, 04:49 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,069 Likes on 6,532 Posts

post 19 gives dimensions of what others have done

https://my350z.com/forum/audio-and-v...tml#post294313
Old 07-08-2020, 06:37 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by Bmsluite
Gotcha. I didn't realize that metal panel came off. What powered sub did you end up going with? Curious as to dimensions so I can find something that fits. Having a contained sub seems a much better idea to me.
Infinity BassLink
Old 07-08-2020, 11:01 AM
Bmsluite

Cool, thanks guys. That Infinity is way out of my price range for the amount of bass I'm seeking. Seems like a nice unit though. Would also complement my infinity speaker but it is what it is.

I'll try to find a powered sub box that's 18.5x16x6.5. Maybe I'll find something that will fit. Correct me if I am wrong here but I'm guessing an 8" in a box will sound better than a 10" compact unit not in a box.

Old 07-08-2020, 11:06 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,069 Likes on 6,532 Posts

like a free-air sub?

it would give ya some, but wont be the best. in theory if you siliconed all the factory sub area corners, laid down dynomat or similar, placed the sub in mdf it would work

this is a pretty good read

http://crystalstereo.com/best-free-air-subwoofers/

Last edited by travlee; 07-08-2020 at 11:13 AM.
Old 07-08-2020, 05:04 PM
Bmsluite

Originally Posted by travlee
like a free-air sub?

it would give ya some, but wont be the best. in theory if you siliconed all the factory sub area corners, laid down dynomat or similar, placed the sub in mdf it would work

this is a pretty good read

http://crystalstereo.com/best-free-air-subwoofers/
I was talking more about those compact ones made to put under your seat. I have actually experienced an infinite baffle system before. When I was in highs school (we are talking 20 years ago) my friend Cooper had a fox body mustangs with two 15s. One in each seat with a board attached to the back of the seat. Never felt any quite it before or since.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:17 PM
DarkZ03

Received 489 Likes on 409 Posts

I have a RF PS-8 $200, sounds nice, bolts up to factory brackets on there, no rattles.
If you look you will find some pics of mine in the car that I posted in other threads about them.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:07 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

I bought a Blaupunkt under seat sub, should easily fit under the Z. Got it for $70 during a sale at Walmart. It really fills in the low end frequencies matched with a Pioneer AVH head unit.
Old 07-09-2020, 02:46 AM
Bmsluite

Originally Posted by mr. sparco
I bought a Blaupunkt under seat sub, should easily fit under the Z. Got it for $70 during a sale at Walmart. It really fills in the low end frequencies matched with a Pioneer AVH head unit.
You got it to fit under the seat?
Old 07-09-2020, 10:54 AM
mr. sparco

Need advice on hidden sub/under seat sub?-xklztob.jpg
Need advice on hidden sub/under seat sub?-86r5x5a.jpg

Misspoken, it wasn't under the seat. It fits behind the seat on the floor up against the back which would depend on your seating position, I am 5'10. I had my seat nearly all the way to the back and fairly reclined, and it was well hidden. I've had several sound system setups so it kept getting redone over the years.

Edit: Here are some pics of how I used to have it installed. It fits there with room to spare. IIRC you can slide the seat all the way back and it would still fit snug.

Another option is the JBL Basspro Hub spare tire powered sub. My trunk is now stripped so I have more options for bass but with age I have had less interest in a system.

Last edited by mr. sparco; 07-09-2020 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07-09-2020, 04:40 PM
Bmsluite

Misspoken, it wasn't under the seat. It fits behind the seat on the floor up against the back which would depend on your seating position, I am 5'10. I had my seat nearly all the way to the back and fairly reclined, and it was well hidden. I've had several sound system setups so it kept getting redone over the years.

Edit: Here are some pics of how I used to have it installed. It fits there with room to spare. IIRC you can slide the seat all the way back and it would still fit snug.

Another option is the JBL Basspro Hub spare tire powered sub. My trunk is now stripped so I have more options for bass but with age I have had less interest in a system.
I was literally just out at my car taking measurements of that exact spot thinking it would fit there lol. I only worry about it overheating in there. Couldn't even wire a fan to blow on it somehow. I am 6' but I don't push my seat all the way back because I prefer an upright driving position. Did yours ever overheat? How did that thing sound? Nice enough to fill in the lows for at least electric pop music?

I understand not wanting the big bass as we age. This is why I am leaning more toward an 8". I do want SOME bass though. When I got my car only one speaker worked so I first put in the android auto unit. Then I replaced all four speakerS (2 were blown, one was not connected correctly somehow) with infinity ones with the woofer and tweeter in the middle. So recently I wired in a 4 channel amp I had laying around. With all that I now have a ridiculous amount of highs and mids but no lows and it sounds funny. Sounds like I have a blown sub because..... I have no sub at all
Old 07-09-2020, 05:35 PM
mr. sparco

I went from license plate rattling deep booming bass in late 90's to today which is just enough to hear the bass but not enough to shake the car. I have Infiniti Kappa components and those kick out the thump, the powered sub fills in all the low frequencies that the kappas can't. I have the Pioneer head unit with the loud function set on high and it just sounds perfect to me. I haven't had to deal with overheating at all but I do live in SoCal by the beach so it rarely goes to 100F.
Old 07-10-2020, 04:54 AM
Bmsluite

I went from license plate rattling deep booming bass in late 90's to today which is just enough to hear the bass but not enough to shake the car. I have Infiniti Kappa components and those kick out the thump, the powered sub fills in all the low frequencies that the kappas can't. I have the Pioneer head unit with the loud function set on high and it just sounds perfect to me. I haven't had to deal with overheating at all but I do live in SoCal by the beach so it rarely goes to 100F.
I think, then, that I am going to do what you did and put a little 8" powered sub in that spot. I am at the point right now where if I turn up the loudness past "low" I rattle the doors because I'm using too much of the woofer/tweeters to give me low frequencies.
Old 07-10-2020, 11:53 AM
mr. sparco

Need advice on hidden sub/under seat sub?-obwak2x.jpg

If it isn't loud enough for your taste, move it into the stock Bose location. IIRC it sounded deeper under the seat but was louder in the Bose location if that makes sense. I tried it in several locations in the car to see how it would sound. I took it all out for weight savings.
Old 07-10-2020, 12:13 PM
Bmsluite

If it isn't loud enough for your taste, move it into the stock Bose location. IIRC it sounded deeper under the seat but was louder in the Bose location if that makes sense. I tried it in several locations in the car to see how it would sound. I took it all out for weight savings.
I'm assuming the resonance is what makes it loader. What did you use to secure it back there? I'm wary of drilling anything since it's literally right on top of the fuel pump
Old 07-10-2020, 01:49 PM
DarkZ03

Received 489 Likes on 409 Posts

That's what I've been saying, mine is bolted to the chassis and facing forward in the Bose location. Love the way is sounds and I have a bass boost remote hidden in the center console.

Quick Reply: Need advice on hidden sub/under seat sub?